• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What type of smartphone do you use for the purpose of photography

What smartphone OS do you use for the purpose of photography?

• iOS

• iPadOS

• Android

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That makes no sense.
To you but not to 110+ million Flickr users.
Without knowing the % value at the ends of the scale, the graph is meaningless. If the bottom is assumed to be 0%, the curves show the relative popularity of a few iPhone models, nothing else. Without knowing what the top of the scale represents, it's impossible to say how popular any of these devices are compared to those not in the graph.
I can’t believe that I have to explain the meaning of ranking to someone as educated and experienced as you but I will try.

In an Olympic event the gold medal doesn’t tell anything about the achievement, as in time, distance, weight, etc. It just tells the person did the best at that competition.

Likewise, on that chart it shows that among all the pictures submitted to Flickr during a time period the most used camera was iPhone 11. Similar to Olympics we don’t know the number or percentage of the cameras.

In short, like percentage, ranking is also data, hence you can chart it.

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@sarumbear Are you having a bad day or something? I voted Other, because nobody else had.
I’m not having a bad day but I’m sick and tired of people commenting negatively on subjects they have little to no knowledge and polluting threads. Why object to everything? Why don’t you first ask if you don’t understand what you read? What happened to debating? Have we collectively forgot that art?

Yes, I can ignore those members but when they reply to me it’s only polite to reply back when you are talked to.

Last edited:

JaccoW

No comment required.

View attachment 213591
Some comment required.
About these graphs »

These graphs show the number of Flickr members who have uploaded at least one photo or video with a particular camera on a given day over the last year.
The graphs are "normalized", which is a fancy way of saying that they automatically correct for the fact that more people join Flickr each day: the graph moving up or down indicates a change in the camera's popularity relative to all other cameras used by Flickr members.
The graphs are only accurate to the extent that we can automatically detect the camera used to take the photo or shoot the video (about 2/3rds of the time). That is not usually possible with cameraphones, therefore they are under-represented.
Could be that Apple is the best one at adding data on what phone model was used. But anyway, that's the data from the past 12 months.

I can’t believe that I have to explain the meaning of ranking to someone as educated and experienced as you but I will try.
Unnecessary personal attack.
In an Olympic event the gold medal doesn’t tell anything about the achievement, as in time, distance, weight, etc. It just tells the person did the best at that competition.
That's true. But trying to say someone has a gold medal, therefore is just as good as any other gold medal winner is false. Perhaps the gold medallist from last year was much faster/stronger/higher. Relative values only matter within the same dataset. Not outside of it.

Look, I am not trying to be a contrarian but you do have a tendency to either make sweeping claims without data to support it or to use data that supports your viewpoint without actually reading what that data itself states as the limits of use.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not having a bad day but I’m sick and tired of people commenting negatively on subjects they have little to no knowledge and polluting threads. Why object to everything? Why don’t you first ask if you don’t understand what you read? What happened to debating? Have we collectively forgot that art?

Yes, I can ignore those members but when they reply to me it’s only polite to reply back when you are talked to.

People have been asking reasonable questions regarding the purpose of your pole and you've been responding to them as if you are under attack.

Given the numerous, and seemingly never ending, debates around the relative merits of iOS vs Android; it's somewhat inevitable that questions regarding the reasons and motives for the pole will be asked.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's my collection of PocketPC (AKA 'Other') phones...

IMG_20220619_160716 (Small).jpg

Full disclosure: Photo taken on Xiaomi Poco F3 Android phone :)

mansr

Major Contributor
Could be that Apple is the best one at adding data on what phone model was used. But anyway, that's the data from the past 12 months.
That could be part of the reason. Additionally, there are relatively few iPhone models, so it's unsurprising that their share is higher than that of any specific Android phone.

Another odd thing about that graph is that if it goes back a year in time, part of it is from before the iPhone 13 launch, meaning that model couldn't possibly have been in the top 5 until some time later. Although this quirk does provide a zero reference for the y axis, it would have been interesting to see what it replaced when it did enter the top 5. Not as interesting as knowing the range of the y axis, though. For all we know, the top could be 1%, or it could be 50%. There is no way to tell, but the picture it paints is very different for these cases.

It's a poorly constructed graph that provides very little information. Inferring anything at all from it would be a mistake.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unnecessary personal attack.
I agree and I apologise. I should have not said that.

That's true. But trying to say someone has a gold medal, therefore is just as good as any other gold medal winner is false. Perhaps the gold medallist from last year was much faster/stronger/higher. Relative values only matter within the same dataset. Not outside of it.
That was exactly the point I was making. Ranking is a different data point that requires no value on the Y axis.

Look, I am not trying to be a contrarian but you do have a tendency to either make sweeping claims without data to support it or to use data that supports your viewpoint without actually reading what that data itself states as the limits of use.
Pease do not make assumptions and read what I post. I never made a claim or supported any platform over another on this thread. Show me where I was taking sides? The only side I took is that there are many smartphone users for photography and posted the data to prove it.

Besides, aren't you now making a sweeping remark as I am posting "without actually reading what that data itself states as the limits of use?" How do you know if I read it or not? How do you know the data has limited use? What makes you understand the data but not me? Where is that tendency you are talking about?

Aren't all those examples of talking without any data?

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Most interesting, thanks. I liked the other charts behind the link too.

Some of this may be due to the fact that with the Flickr app, it’s easier to publish your work from a phone than from most other cameras. If I’m not mistaken the app also has an auto backup function which might have a big impact on these rankings as well.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a poorly constructed graph that provides very little information. Inferring anything at all from it would be a mistake.

Agreed. For example, it would be incorrect to assume that just because Flickr users appear to favour iOS over Android; self-absorbed narcissists also tend to favour iOS over Android... (or maybe that Twitter, I could be confusing my apps) :)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...Unnecessary personal attack...
I take them as compliments, depending on the source.
...So you joined this thread because you detest smartphones?
My post#23 tried to provide some OnTopic statistics and relevant factoids, to prevent further personal digs...
...but I’m sick and tired of people commenting negatively on subjects they have little to no knowledge and polluting threads. Why object to everything? Why don’t you first ask if you don’t understand what you read? What happened to debating? Have we collectively forgot that art?
Results, thus far, appear to be a split of ~50/50 of ASR respondents that are either an Apple or an Android smartphone owner.

Goggle's "Ada" project and the concept of "Modular" smartphones, like Moto, FairPhone and Xiaomi (etc.) attempts, seemed very appealing but never made financial sense...
------------------------------------------------------------
PS. For some reason, I could not view poll results without Voting first... (then, unVoting...).

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Google Pixel 4A(5G) here. My wife has Pixel 6, which from what I've seen, doesn't take reliably as good images for some reason. I'll probably get a 7 when they come out if well reviewed. I don't do the Apple Walled Garden. Although my first computer was a Mac, and I used Macs up until around 2005, I just don't like their business attitude.

mansr

Major Contributor
Agreed. For example, it would be incorrect to assume that just because Flickr users appear to favour iOS over Android;
As I keep saying, without the y axis scale, we can't even make that inference. It is equally possible that there are many more Android users, but because they are split across many phone models, no single one reaches the popularity of the iPhones. We also don't know how many of those iPhone users have other cameras as well, nor what percentage of photos are taken with what device. It's almost as though they've gone out of their way to come up with a statistic and presentation that puts the iPhone in a good light.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We also don't know how many of those iPhone users have other cameras as well, nor what percentage of photos are taken with what device.
Why do anyone need to know what other cameras they have? The data is about the type of camera that took the photos submitted to Flickr.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is equally possible that there are many more Android users, but because they are split across many phone models, no single one reaches the popularity of the iPhones.
The penny seems to have dropped.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

mansr

Major Contributor
Why do anyone need to know what other cameras they have? The data is about the type of camera that took the photos submitted to Flickr.
It's not, though. The chart shows percentage of users who uploaded at least one photo from a particular camera on each day. They could all have uploaded many more photos from other cameras without affecting this metric. It is quite possibly the least interesting statistic they could publish, and it's presented in such a way (missing y-axis labels) that any shred of value it might have had is gone.

Top Bottom