• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What type of smartphone do you use for the purpose of photography

What smartphone OS do you use for the purpose of photography?

• iOS

• iPadOS

• Android

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, what is your question then? Just a data-collection poll? Preferred OS/app for smartphone photography? Preferred phone model for photography?
Trying to distill it to an OS while the actual hardware is pretty damn important doesn't make that clear.
I am curious and wanted to poll fellow members, like many other polls on this forum. I don't think that is an odd thing to do. If you find it difficult to understand what I am asking, or why, you have the option to ask before voting. Or simply ignore.

JaccoW

I am curious and wanted to poll fellow members, like many other polls on this forum. I don't think that is an odd thing to do. If you find it difficult to understand what I am asking, or why, you have the option to ask before voting. Or simply ignore and not pollute the thread.
Bad questions make for bad answers. But I'll stop.

Here's my question; Do I get a cookie if my prediction comes true?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's my question; Do I get a cookie if my prediction comes true?
I'd give you a 'Like' but you won't be getting no stale cookies from me.
But let's stick to the topic (while skipping this dig).
So you joined this thread because you detest smartphones?

• …Australia remains a smartphone market dominated by Apple, with a 42% share. Again, Samsung is second with a 35% market share…(Link)
• Nearly two-thirds of German households own a digital camera. (Statista)
• Since 2010, smartphones changed digital camera industry by dropping their sales 87%.
• 85% of all photos are taken with smartphones.
• The average person has around 630 photos and 24 videos on their phone.
• An average European is taking 597 selfies a year.
• A report showed that 90% of people who have ever taken a photo, have only done it with a phone, not a standard camera.
• Android devices record somewhere around 93 million captures every day on Android gadgets. (3dInsider)
• The share of pictures taken using a mobile phone will reach 93% in 2023.
• It was estimated that 1.12 trillion photos were taken in 2021 alone.
• 90% of consumers only took photos with a smartphone.
• The average family adds more than 3,000 photos and videos per year to their collection.
• 50% of adults believe selfies are annoying.
• Half of all Americans take pictures of their food.
• 86% of Americans say camera quality is somewhat or very important when deciding which smartphone to buy.
• 2.5 billion unlicensed images are stolen every day.
• 55% of wedding photographers use a Cannon device.

Old Listener

I use a Moto G6 Android phone ($ 200 a few years ago.). Its camera function is satisfactory for my casual photos. I think that high end Android phones are much more capable for more challenging uses.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Super easy poll to answer. Read it, saw the options, selected the right one for me, and voted.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The poll needs a 'none' option.

My iPhone (XS) has a decent enough camera I guess, but I don't use it. At my desk, I use a little Canon Ixus 70 for electronic photos and if I am wanting to photograph actual things outdoors, I take one of our 15 DSLRs (Canon and Nikon). Mostly old ones, the newest being an EOS-60D, so several years old.

Phone cameras are for other people, they really are. Jack of all trades, master of none is the smartphone.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those go for really good prices as used. Was thinking of picking one up for a low price. I like the articulating viewfinder. I have that viewfinder (That is indispensable.) on my Canon with 30x zoom but it's nowhere near the camera that the EOS-60D is. :D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So this phone is never the only camera you have at hand? Genuine question.

Only if I am out and about, going to the shops etc and there's never anything I want to take a photograph of. Maybe I might use it to zoom in on some tiny writing I can't read on a package. I find phones are just utterly useless in bright sunlight- you can't see the screen.

Moonhead

Brain says Android, Heart says Apple.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Those go for really good prices as used. Was thinking of picking one up for a low price. I like the articulating viewfinder. I have that viewfinder (That is indispensable.) on my Canon with 30x zoom but it's nowhere near the camera that the EOS-60D is.

I know the 60D is getting old, but I'll be honest, I've never used the swivelling screen. I still pick up my EOS 40D and 50D as I like them better. The 60D is a bit smaller and lighter, something I don't love.

The battery life on the 40D is amazing. Goes for 6 months on standby in the cupboard- I never turn any of the DSLRs 'off'. The Nikons go for even longer.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find phones are just utterly useless in bright sunlight- you can't see the screen.
... and that is why I gave up on cel tels. My eyes are bad enough without sunlight on the screen. There is the Samsung S22 Ultra that I read can be seen in sunlight. I was going to get one and then I realized the battery is not replaceable.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Only if I am out and about, going to the shops etc and there's never anything I want to take a photograph of. Maybe I might use it to zoom in on some tiny writing I can't read on a package. I find phones are just utterly useless in bright sunlight- you can't see the screen.
They are getting better. Mine you can see enough to use it (maybe not to focus yourself, but you learn to trust it and how to make it easy for the camera). Absolute direct sun on the screen won't work, anything else is usable and you can shade the screen (like wearing a hat with a bill). I couldn't say this about my previous phones. They are also good if you can pick a face or object to focus, as long as you keep it in frame you can move to a better location and it will use that focus point from the new location reliably. Again you learn how to work with the way a smart phone camera works.

Someone, maybe in the other camera thread, stated if you use your DSLR on Auto you just wasted all the money you paid. Well that is not true. Like learning to work with a smartphone cam I do the same with the DSLR. In many simple conditions I can do it myself or put it on auto and there isn't any difference. In other particular conditions I need to set things. So for most conditions let auto make your life simpler. You can't tell me I wasted my money since the high quality lens with the right telephoto etc present an optically higher quality image to the sensor for auto settings to use that I wasted money. Lesser lens wouldn't be as good auto or manual. Smartphones are oriented toward more automatic operation and doing it better than you can with the limited manual choices. So learn how to use it and it can be better than if you don't. And yes lighting is a big part of that.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No comment required.

1655641994851.png

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got a Google Pixel 2 on eBay for $30 with shipping and the camera is amazing. I just use it for photos since it's older and the battery has lost some life, but enough for a day of taking pictures for my online listings.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree. A graph of something related to Apple devices without scales on either axis does indeed require no comment.
The reference was given and it is the graph of the most used smartphones on Flickr. Maybe you can check the importance of Flickr in relation to photography.

You don’t have a scale on the Y axis when the chart is about the most used smartphones on Flicker in positions of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. The position of the curves are the values. I thought that was obvious to anyone who cared enough to comment on a post about data.

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
The reference was given and it is the graph of the most used smartphones on Flickr. You don’t have scales on Y axis when the chart is following the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. The position of the curves are the values. I thought that was obvious to anyone who cared enough to comment on a post about data.
That makes no sense. Without knowing the % value at the ends of the scale, the graph is meaningless. If the bottom is assumed to be 0%, the curves show the relative popularity of a few iPhone models, nothing else. Without knowing what the top of the scale represents, it's impossible to say how popular any of these devices are compared to those not in the graph.

Top Bottom