• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What to trust ear or measurement?

Audio equipment is great if:

• It has acceptable measurement, i,e. staying true to their source.

• I don't care what it measures, it has to sound good to my ears.

• I trust reviewers more than measurement.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
What do you mean by "trusting measurements?" Trusting them to do what?

1) To tell you what a given component is doing to a given signal?

2) To tell you if you'll like the sound of the component?

As far as 1 goes, sure. 2 on the other hand is dependent on a whole host of factors outside of the measured performance. Cognitive bias, specific use circumstances, ear "training" (I've known people who listened to music with the treble maxed out and the bass cut completely. Years and years of gradually turning up the highs and turning down the lows had trained their ears to think that sounded good)...if your goal is to assemble a system that gets a recording to your speakers or headphones without distorting it then sure, trust measurements.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Audio manufacturers do have to follow certain rules since they are considered electrical/electronic equipment. Eg. FCC class B if they integrate wireless. Safety standards since it an electrical equipment (i believe its under home appliances). They also need to follow tcp/ip or udp protocols etc.

As for specifications, i believe they are also bound by law. They cannot grossly overstate their specs (eg. State 50w as 200w) else it may be considered misleading or false specs.

Even audio cables have rules, esp. on the insulation. Some brands may not get theirs certified but if their audio cables were to be used in buildings (say a concert hall), it must certified (Fire safety standards), cables running in risers, ducts have different certification requirements.

I am not sure about speakers but l think they also fall under electrical/electronic equipment. Just guessing that the MDF used may have to be treated with fore retardant..

The problem is that there's no regulations saying they can't claim their products improve sound in some completely immeasurable manner.

Andysu

Major Contributor
I would trust my ears to small degree I suffer tinnitus, inner ear hissing noise most days and I am aware it will mask certain frequencies within around 8, 9KHz so I am aware. I would use test equipment. As it is at present my tinnitus hissing is a very low noise floor level and can't really be measured with a microphone maybe an 'inner space' sci-fi thing can measure it? I can still hear up to 16KHz via sine wave or rare movies that have a fundamental tone in that range highest heard was 'ALIEN 3' (1992) at 18KHz.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The problem is that there's no regulations saying they can't claim their products improve sound in some completely immeasurable manner.

I have to say similar claims of products improving performance/efficiency is everywhere and not limited to just audio products. I do not think it can be regulated and it would be up to consumers instead.

I also have to to stress that not everything can be measured or determined by specs. Eg. For race cars, you have all the measurements of engine and suspension specs/performance, dyno etc.. but nothing beats the driver's feel. If the driver simple doesnt feel good in the car, then it doesnt work. Formula one drivers are extremely sensitive to their cars and the environment. Regardless of whether its placebo or not, if they dont feel confident about their car, they cannot perform to the max.

Last edited:
Top Bottom