• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What to do with extra Andante?

Front Row

Recently, Elac made good on sending out a new Adante speaker thus fullfilling their warranty. The minor problem I have is that the defective Elac Adante AF61 was not picked up nor a request for return. The speaker has a seal problem, thus the bass is weak. What do I do with the defective speaker? It has a nice cabinet and the tweeter works. It probably just needs to be sealed which is not a task I am fully equiped to do. I am not trying to sell it because it does not work properly. Any suggestions?

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's a $2500 speaker. Contact ELAC and ask if they want it back. If yes, have them provide a shipping label. If no, get it in writing.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Keep it for parts. You may blow a driver or two and need spares. Cat might destroy a grille, you may break a terminal off. etc. Stick it in a cupboard in the box the spare came in and count yourself lucky you have a source of spare parts. Trust me, with speakers, you'll need it one day.

OP
F

Front Row

It's a $2500 speaker. Contact ELAC and ask if they want it back. If yes, have them provide a shipping label. If no, get it in writing.
After the delivery, I sent two thank you emails and no one responded. I thought once I was satisfied with the replacement Elac would initiate some retrieval for the defective speaker. I surmised that because the Adante line has been discontinued, Elac does not want the speaker back. It's weighs over 100 lbs which might make it cost prohibitive to ship. This was the main obstacle to getting the replacement.

OP
F

Front Row

Keep it for parts. You may blow a driver or two and need spares. Cat might destroy a grille, you may break a terminal off. etc. Stick it in a cupboard in the box the spare came in and count yourself lucky you have a source of spare parts. Trust me, with speakers, you'll need it one day.
It's rather large so storing it in the massive box would raise some issues from the Mrs. I could store it in the black shroud that was part of the packaging. The hafler circuit idea mentioned earlier does have its advantages.

Top Bottom