• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What kind of measurements do AVR's take?

Nwickliff

I'm getting vastly different measurements from my AVR than I get with my Umik and REW. What gives? The AVR shows the raw LR measurements as tilted nicely down while my moving mic measurement or even regular sweep shows the rising treble. Why are the measurements so different? What kind of measurement does it make with just chirping measurements vs moving mic or frequency sweep?

OP
N

Nwickliff

Attachments

• MultEQ Audessey raw Right CHannel.jpg
    MultEQ Audessey raw Right CHannel.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 2022-02-01-LR RAW RP600.jpg
    2022-02-01-LR RAW RP600.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 71

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
It's certainly not going to explain everything but that's a place to start. Find out from Denon/Audyssey whether it is indeed 1/12 smoothing (or maybe someone on ASR knows definitively). Set the smoothing on REW to be the same. At least that aspect of your comparison will be apples to apples. After that ... great question, and I'm curious to know the answer, but way above my pay grade. The author / maintainer of REW (JohnPM) is on ASR; if he has any insights into how Audyssey measurements are done he could compare / contrast the two systems.

My only wild guess would be to say that the free mic included with a Denon AVR -- I'm assuming that's what you used when measuring via Audyssey -- has different capabilities than the UMK-1. How much worse (or better? probably worse) it is I couldn't say, but that might explain at least part of the difference.

Top Bottom