• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Audyssey microphone a calibrated spl meter

No. 5

you are propably right
But If i go with umik but the rising grensle curve still shows up then what could be the cause
Is it possible it caused by the room
Its a living room with concrete walls with tapestry
What to do to solve the eleveted treble
Speakers typically have rising directivity with frequency, that means there's less sound energy going into the room at high frequency than at low frequency, so if the measured response at the listening position is rising at high frequency, even if the room was perfectly reflective, it would not be because of the room. Additionally, even tapestries are a little absorptive above 10kHz, and the rising high frequency was still there when you had the microphone very close to a woofer where the room would have very little effect. This means that it must be something in the playback chain (speakers or electronics) or the measurement chain (microphone or electronics). The solution to the elevated treble you are seeing is dictated by what is causing it.

Is it possible for you to post a screen capture of your measurement?

raindance

Major Contributor
I used my Audyssey mic with REW to find out where my room modes were before purchasing a UMIK-1. It's fine for this purpose but I wouldn't use it to fine tune frequency response. Make sure you enable phantom power on the mic input on your computer. You'll be able to see gross discrepancies in the bass region clearly.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I seem to recall measuring my room with an AVR mic and found its response deviating significantly from flat. Fortunately, that doesn't matter!

Your goal in making room measurements is to find your room modes which are below a couple of hundred Hertz and pull down the peaks you see. Just about any mic works for that.

For overall response, i.e. what we call a "target curve," you should use your ears and preference. Just pick a staring slope down from bass to treble and experiment with different content and see what sounds good to you.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
but continuing over 20khz at 115 db but continuing to rise...

...up to 20khz at 104 db where it plateaued.
That's VERY LOUD, and hopefully not true. BE CAREFUL! Tweeters can't handle the power (wattage) that a woofer can and you can easily fry tweeters with test tones that don't sound that loud, or that you can't hear at all!

OP
G

gelv

Here are the measurements for the front left. The ones with higher spl are the measurements one or two inches from the speaker. One measurement with calibration file one without. The measurements with lower spl are from the main listening position again one with one without cal file for the audyssey mic. Please note that this is the first time im using REW which mean i could have confused the measurements that are in the main listening position with some other measurements but the ones with higher spl are the ones that i made one or two inches from the speakers.

I removed the phase because the phase has always been messy. It was messy before moving to the current apartment when the system sounded good. But that is subjectively as i didnt measure the system before moving.

Attachments

• cal file smooth - kopia.png
    cal file smooth - kopia.png
    469.2 KB · Views: 55
  • no cal - kopia.png
    no cal - kopia.png
    568 KB · Views: 55
  • no cal2 - kopia.png
    no cal2 - kopia.png
    450.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Skärmbild 2023-12-02 231602 - kopia.png
    Skärmbild 2023-12-02 231602 - kopia.png
    573.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
OP
G

gelv

I used my Audyssey mic with REW to find out where my room modes were before purchasing a UMIK-1. It's fine for this purpose but I wouldn't use it to fine tune frequency response. Make sure you enable phantom power on the mic input on your computer. You'll be able to see gross discrepancies in the bass region clearly.
How do i turn on phantom power on a laptop? i am connecting the audyssey mic directly to the laptop mic input. Note that it is a combined headphone with microphone input.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
How do i turn on phantom power on a laptop? i am connecting the audyssey mic directly to the laptop mic input. Note that it is a combined headphone with microphone input.
A Laptop does not have phantom power and a UMIK1 is an USB mic and therefore doesn’t need it.

Phantom power of 48V is only used for condenser mics usually connected to a mic preamp or audiointerface via XLR connectors.

Do you have such a mic? If yes eg the small Focusrite or MOTU audio interfaces have phantom power.

No. 5

Thank you for posting your measurements, but those all look about the same to me, perhaps the closer to speaker ones were missed when posting? At any rate, the big thing I notice is that there’s no bass. Was there bass audible when you made the measurements?

Don’t worry about not having phase shown, it’s irrelevant for what you are wanting to do right now and for an in room measurement it will be messy. Very, very messy.

Last edited:
OP
G

gelv

Correct i uploaded the ones taken when subwoofer was not on which i realised after uploading the screenshots. I will try upload the correct ones later.

What about the peaking treble? It cant be normal? I already have the steeper option in audyssey for treble cut together with the cinema eq in the settings for more treble taming But the result is this.

OP
G

gelv

A Laptop does not have phantom power and a UMIK1 is an USB mic and therefore doesn’t need it.

Phantom power of 48V is only used for condenser mics usually connected to a mic preamp or audiointerface via XLR connectors.

Do you have such a mic? If yes eg the small Focusrite or MOTU audio interfaces have phantom power.
Makes sense. I was confused.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Short answer no it's not. Ditch it all together it's not good. You don't have to go with UMIK-1 tho only ones supported by rew with cal file are SPL calibrated. Folk's have been using ARC old and new ones and members hire did even give for free old ones. Those are a little worse or same as UMIK-1 regarding precision but of course no cal for REW.
You can use deacent standalone SPL meter or smartphone app tho it's questionable how much apps are accurate.
Even small capsule measurement microphones won't have accurate readings above 7~8 KHz and even that much if placed good and at 45° vertical angle.
I think that's most part the case regarding huge high treble peak.
Where are you from (kopia)?

No. 5

Correct i uploaded the ones taken when subwoofer was not on which i realised after uploading the screenshots. I will try upload the correct ones later.
Excellent, thank you.
What about the peaking treble? It cant be normal? I already have the steeper option in audyssey for treble cut together with the cinema eq in the settings for more treble taming But the result is this.
I very strongly suspect the peaking treble is a measurement artifact and as such I would strongly advise to not try EQing it. You can confirm if it is a measurement artifact by briefly having REW play a 1kHz tone at a comfortable level followed by a 12kHz tone at the same level. A few seconds at what sounds to be about speech level is safe, but if you do it too loud for too long you could destroy your tweeters... just so you are aware.

When you are analyzing a measurement, it is important to understand when your ears should overrule your eyes. If you have a set of headphones and an equalizer, see what a 30dB peak above 10kHz sounds like and then ask yourself if your ears should be overruling your eyes when you look at the measurements you made. Additionally, in room measurements above 1kHz have limited value, and when made with an inexpensive uncalibrated microphone, even less so. Below 1kHz, even an inexpensive uncalibrated microphone is useful because it can help you identify room modes and other low frequency problems, as was mentioned.

Let me ask you @gelv ,what are you hoping to achieve? I ask because you mentioned in your opening post:
Basically If it is then i can make use with the audyssey mic while saving money by not buying umik while also avoiding having another hardware piece at home lol
More accuracy will require more money and more hardware at home, but far more importantly than that, it will require the time and effort to understand how to use it properly and what the data is telling you.
I dont do much measurements
Doing a lot of measurements is not a requirement to be an audiophile. Maybe it's better to see how much you enjoy making measurements with what you have before deciding to invest in specialized equipment.
But recently ive noticing that my sound system is not as good sounding as it was years ago which made me quickly measure the frequency response with an android app where i discovered that i have a huge null from 100hz to 300hz.
And the Audyssey mic that you have can help assess that. One reason being that it can very accurately reveal changes even though if it is not capable of absolutes.

raindance

Major Contributor
Most laptops DO provide phantom power, 12 volts rather than 48 volts and you can turn it on in the mic settings for the sound card. If you have a combined mic and headphone connector on the laptop, that may be the issue as you'd likely need an adapter to make the Audyssey mic work.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Most laptops DO provide phantom power, 12 volts rather than 48 volts and you can turn it on in the mic settings for the sound card.
Most laptops nowadays have a single combo headset jack and certainly do not supply phantom power. Only 2-4V plug-in power.

OP
G

gelv

I will try connect the mic to a pc with a dedicated mic input to rule out issues with the laptop which was not mine but a friends

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Most laptops DO provide phantom power, 12 volts rather than 48 volts and you can turn it on in the mic settings for the sound card. If you have a combined mic and headphone connector on the laptop, that may be the issue as you'd likely need an adapter to make the Audyssey mic work.
Phantoms power is 48V not 12V. You need it for condenser mics. Please show me the laptop which has 48V out for mics. Maybe there are some. Mainly audio interfaces eg Focusrite or mic pre-amps etc provide it.

The Audyssey mic does not need 48V and it is not a good idea to begin with for all the reasons explained previously, especially if one is a beginner such as the OP

OP
G

gelv

i will try upload image later But i have been experiencing issues with my home theater
I might be upgrading the whole system instead

Top Bottom