• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your favorite house curve

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@dlaloum The Dolby graph isn't especially extreme, it just looks that way because the extreme zoom on the y-axis. Here it is overlaid on the current response in my living room (Atmos curve in black):

1705217801390.png

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, the brain to process the sound received by the two mics is missing. Using a dummy head mic still sums the direct and all reflected sounds without regard to the direction or time of arrival. Our binaural hearing system pays attention to these differences. Consequently, "room curves" exhibit detailed up-and-down variations caused by acoustical interference that look alarming - and many systems equalize them. However, doing so screws up the direct sound - which is the key factor. You cannot avoid starting with a well designed loudspeaker, or one that is equalized based on anechoic data. Beyond that, above about 500 Hz, one can experiment with broadband "tone control" kinds of EQ, but remember that if this is done "by ear", the program peculiarities are included and these are not constant.
The Harman curve is based on GRAS 45CA. If I use 45CA and calibrate the curve of the listening position to OE 2018, wouldn't it be more accurate compared to microphones like UMIK-1?
Although Harman has not yet released a curve based on B&K 5128, I see that some people are already using 5128 to reverse calibrate their speakers.
1705222625998.jpeg

Last edited:

goat76

Major Contributor
Toole himself has repeatedly said that these curves should never be used as target curves, but still, a lot of people do that.

And not just that, even Audyssey and similar automatic room correction programs use these types of none-gated room measurements as targets for adjustments for the full range response, which according to Toole’s studies should not be done as the direct sound from the loudspeakers is the dominant sound from about 500Hz and up.

If the direct frequency response from a loudspeaker is totally flat, it will be almost as flat at a very short listening distance, and it will naturally have a slope if the listening distance is further away as that’s the nature of sound. How much the measured response will slope in your particular room will depend on the distance and the acoustics of the room.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I agree - what I did in my setup, was adjust the lower bass target for my preference, then use the L/C/R F/R as the target curve for all the other speakers

That way I minimise processing on the mains, and maximise tonal match with surrounds and heights.... quite happy with the result!

192kbps

Toole himself has repeatedly said that these curves should never be used as target curves, but still, a lot of people do that.

And not just that, even Audyssey and similar automatic room correction programs use these types of none-gated room measurements as targets for adjustments for the full range response, which according to Toole’s studies should not be done as the direct sound from the loudspeakers is the dominant sound from about 500Hz and up.

If the direct frequency response from a loudspeaker is totally flat, it will be almost as flat at a very short listening distance, and it will naturally have a slope if the listening distance is further away as that’s the nature of sound. How much the measured response will slope in your particular room will depend on the distance and the acoustics of the room.

"CEA2024 was intended for home speakers"
"Spinorama is designed around far field listening"

What kind of help can we get for close range listening (<1.5m), also known as "near-field"?
1705226037586.png

Kalpesh

I was doing some listening yesterday and again was reminded how variable recordings are in the bass frequency range. My system is essentially flat down to around 20 Hz. Most recordings sound great, but there are some that have an enormous bass "bloom/boom" at very low frequencies, as if the recording engineer needed to boost the bass because of his monitoring system - or simply didn't hear the very low stuff. Who knows? But for many people excessive bass is a "forgivable sin". Otherwise, accessible tone controls are very useful. Having a "perfect" home system does not guarantee "perfect" sound.
Dear Floyd, I’d like your highly regarded opinion, looking for insights, on a bad taste I’m recently developing for LF boost.

To start with, the two lower drivers of my active speakers have honeycomb construction for rigid lightness + they bear captors feeding electronic loops so that their membranes don’t go any further/longer than is anticipated from the fed signal. See attachment.

So, they are not built/chosen for boom boom

Furthermore, thanks to @OCA sharings, my DRC includes Virtual Bass Array for frequency adequate timely firing of phase inverted signals to prevent unwanted LF buildups.

I also tend to use Sinc S upsampling filter in HQPlayer, that I, and others, have qualified of "leaner"

Add that from studying Genelec, Sonarworks surveys, Halbar reverse engineering of compared masterings, I have an educated belief, if not proof, that modern masterings tend to be monitored flat, at most with the 1dB downward slope starting @1K for MFSL SACD.

So I won’t even invoke as justification the circle of confusion that certainly rules so much so that I believe that each and every time we listen to a track we actually remaster it, to no physical support, ok, but to our ears/brain, and the closer we reproduce in our rooms the mastering conditions, the less we destroy the intent.

Yet, to discard examples in pop or oldish, I recently enjoyed Savall’s Beethoven’s Symphonies with the beefier (see attached) in room response* (made after historic Harman Target Curve) and Barenboim’s On my new piano with the in room response made after a target I found labeled “Synthesis” (second beefier).

Maybe hints of too much bloom on a few notes but globally I get a greater suspension of disbelief, a more radical substitution of my room’s acoustic by that of the venues,a more realistic sense of distances, and (better) more presence/delineation of the instruments.

Of course, I have at hand, and use whenever too much is to be avoided, an in room response tweaked (only below 464 Hz) after your ideal steady state.

Can you mention any rational (excessive cleanliness of my bass response compared to monitor’s? LF borne cues ?) or is it pure preference verging on bad taste and "sin"?

*measurements at 1/6th of both channels

PS : I don’t have neighbors, typically listen with 3 to 10 dBs attenuation in refence to K system : I rule out Fletcher-Munson

4 ASR 1 SIXTH BOTH.jpg
albatros_6-4.jpg

Kalpesh

attached Stereophile's "anechoic" measurements don't preclude actual flattened in studio responses but the quasi ubiquitous presence of B&W 801 in classical mastering rooms (ie in Teldex studios where the afore mentioned On my new piano was recorded etc) might explain why I'm often shamelessly comfortable with the attached LF lift with classical
S.jpg
Capture d’écran 2024-03-14 à 04.43.52.png
Capture d’écran 2024-03-14 à 04.41.17.png

Tim Link

Forum Donor
I've noticed that close micing my woofers and EQing them flat results in close to that hump when I measure at the listening position. I used to EQ it down. I don't anymore and am happier.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
attached Stereophile's "anechoic" measurements don't preclude actual flattened in studio responses but the quasi ubiquitous presence of B&W 801 in classical mastering rooms (ie in Teldex studios where the afore mentioned On my new piano was recorded etc) might explain why I'm often shamelessly comfortable with the attached LF lift with classicalView attachment 356252View attachment 356253View attachment 356254

Your in room response looks fine, and is not necessarily a result of a bass heavy speaker, but natural room gain. Stereophile's measurements are not accurate below 100-200hz.

Sokel

Master Contributor
attached Stereophile's "anechoic" measurements don't preclude actual flattened in studio responses but the quasi ubiquitous presence of B&W 801 in classical mastering rooms (ie in Teldex studios where the afore mentioned On my new piano was recorded etc) might explain why I'm often shamelessly comfortable with the attached LF lift with classicalView attachment 356252View attachment 356253View attachment 356254
This bump is a measuring artifact present in all Stereophile measurements,read the fine print about it.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Very nice. Are the yellow/brown lines measurements or predictions?

Top Bottom