• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What target curve does Spinorama.org uses for their EQs?

jtk9412

I would like to room EQ my speakers for below 400Hz. For above 400Hz, I will be copying the data from Spinorama.org. I want to set the same target curve that Spinorama used for Edifier MR4 to my room EQ.

staticV3

Master Contributor
For above 400Hz, I will be copying the data from Spinorama.org
We've had this discussion before.

Copying Spinorama's EQ settings for the MR4 makes no sense as the MR4 has bad QC, several tuning modes, and tone control knobs on top (w/o off switch).

There's no way to ensure that Spinorama's measurements are applicable to your MR4.

You already have HouseCurve measurements of your own MR4 speakers, so use those for correction.

I want to set the same target curve that Spinorama used for Edifier MR4 to my room EQ.
Spinorama does not use a fixed target curve. It's different for each speaker/measurement.

Here's what the algorithm came up with for the MR4:

OP
J

jtk9412

You already have HouseCurve measurements of your own MR4 speakers, so use those for correction.
Does that really going to be better than this:
I would like to room EQ my speakers for below 400Hz. For above 400Hz, I will be copying the data from Spinorama.org. I want to set the same target curve that Spinorama used for Edifier MR4 to my room EQ.

How accurate can an iPhone microphone measure the frequencies? That's why I didn't want to go with full range with House Curve and preferred only room EQing below 400 and get above 400Hz from Spinorama and merge them.

By the way, how should I set the iPhone's angle? I am using the back microphone to measure. Should the microphone be pointed towards the speakers or to the ceiling?

No. 5

How accurate can an iPhone microphone measure the frequencies?
Its low frequency roll-off is unknown. In other words, it is accurately measuring frequencies but not the SPL of those frequency. Therefore I would not recommend using it for a house curve. But for getting a look at what's happening at low frequency it is still a very useful tool because it will give you a clear picture of potentially offending room resonances and cancelations. Some EQ can be applied and adjusted to taste based on what your iPhone measures, and that can very well improve the sound of your system, but I would not use this method to set a house curve.
By the way, how should I set the iPhone's angle? I am using the back microphone to measure. Should the microphone be pointed towards the speakers or to the ceiling?
Below 400Hz it will be omnidirectional and you can point it whatever way you like.

Top Bottom