• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is wrong with the HD800S? Needs EQ? Some Say Yes Others No

Does the HD800S Need EQ?

• Yes

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters
OP
D

DRKSHDW

Based on his measurement (same) , applied to a target with less bass. But even above 100 hz won't be the same because as Static said, filters not derived the same way.
I dont know what that means but I have uploaded the text file.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
From Amir's review of the HD800S:

index.php

The HD800S has a massive drop off in bass, deviating from the target by -4dB at 100Hz, and -12dB at 20Hz. Can this be equalized?

index.php

Sort of. If you don't mind that distortion. (As a side note, WTF ... 94dB is "below normal listening level"?!?!? I listen at about 75dB!!).

I don't understand why Amir put it on his recommended list, but that's another side note. I would have thought that given ASR's insistence on rubbishing any headphone that does not comply with the target curve, this headphone should be an easy candidate for the headless panther. I don't like the HD800S, to me it sounds thin and almost painful to listen to - exactly as that frequency response shows. For me it gets a solid headless panther.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
(As a side note, WTF ... 94dB is "below normal listening level"?!?!? I listen at about 75dB!!

75dB average can easily contain 94dB (voltage) peaks in the bass, especially with EQ in the lows it could even be higher.

Peak SPL (voltage applied to the driver) with EQ is not the same as average SPL.

I don't like the HD800S
Quite possible, there are many people hating the HD800(S).
It is my favorite and with the right EQ (not the presets in this thread) it sounds better than anything else I own(ed).

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the OG HD 800 with the Dupont mod and use it with my Smyth Realizer. It's Smyth's default recommended phone. Personally I find it excellent. Don't know if something like a Dan Clark Expanse or a HiFiMan Susvara would be even better, but for right now, I'm pretty happy with how it sounds. And the Smyth does provide a custom individually tailored, automated EQ for each user's headphone, based on the phone, and the shape of the user's ear (pinna). It works very well.

I also used the HD 800's with other EQs including Sonarworks, and I found it worked very well in conjunction with the Dupont mod.

But even without the mod, the HD 800 is a great sounding phone. I, for one, didn't find the 6k peak, which is actually a resonance of the body of the phone in any way a deal breaker. It's in a fairly narrow band of frequencies, is not excited on all music, and is fairly well damped. It kind of sounds like an oil can resonance, and while noticable, did not ruin the many other unique virtues (incredible tranparency, sense of immediacy) of this phone for me.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
kameleon-tp-vs-stock-hd8001.png

EQ vs stock
Part of the result is achieved with toiletpaper between the driver and insert.
Also note this is HD800 and not HD800S
To figure out how my EQ would be for HD800S you need to consider the difference between the HD800 and HD800S.
hd800-vs-hd800s.png

You must figure out what filters to use. Also note that this is how I enjoy this headphone, others may disagree.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am considering the HD800S after demoing it. Upon doing research I have found very conflicting information. As a for instance, Rtings.com give it their top choice for open back studio monitoring headphones with a high sound neutrality rating. I have also read on this website and other forums that it needs EQ and is not recommended without it.

I have also read that the HD800S does not respond well to EQ.

It is interesting that there does not seem to be a clean consensus on this headphone. I also find it surprising that Sennheiser would release a headphone that would be in bad need of EQ as it is a higher-end model.

So what gives? I am coming from loud speakers and I don't typically see such widely varying opinions, especially from well-known and respected sources?

I came here for an amp recommendation and fell down a completely different rabbit hole.
HD800S responds very well to EQ, it's one of its strengths.

If I want to hear amazing soundstage, I turn off EQ. If I want to hear more intimate and bassy tunes, I EQ it to Harman with an added bass shelf and treble peak.

J-B

I always use EQ (also the Oratory one), without it just sounds horribly unbalanced to me.

IXOYE

I use a fine-tuned Oratory profile to my liking with the built-in EQ on my RME, I find it sounds thin and lifeless without it.

hearone

Forum Donor
Are you sure? Every time I listen to "wide soundstage" headphones the effect is similar: the sound is coming further away from my ears, say a few centimeters.

I think that some people just appreciate that effect more than others. I'm more like "yeah, I guess that is kind of neat".
Yeah, "kind of neat"- this is my experience too. I can tell the soundstage is somewhat wider vs say a HD560S. But is just seems to be a horizonal soundstage and literally just a bit more outside of the ears. I never perceive any depth in the soundstage imaging.

If it was just twice or so the price of the HD560S, it would be a much stronger consideration- but 8X more. Hard to justify. However, even the HD800S is cheap compared to what one must spend on most higher-end speakers. But that is really trying hard to rationalize the purchase. LOL

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never read that. It's bogus anyway.

Nearly all headphones benefit greatly from the use of EQ/PEQ. To go without is not wise.
That's something Purrin in SBAF wrote in a thread he started about matching the 800S with the "ideal" amp. Tubes of course.

Yeah, I know. Just reporting, not agreeing.

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are you sure? Every time I listen to "wide soundstage" headphones the effect is similar: the sound is coming further away from my ears, say a few centimeters.

I think that some people just appreciate that effect more than others. I'm more like "yeah, I guess that is kind of neat".
The width of the soundstage perceives is more if you have e better high frequency hearing ability. If you don’t have it well you will not hear it. If you increase the very last bands on the eq 16hz and above like some 12 db and if you are feeling it more spatial, well there lies your problem. So when they say they feel it wide they are right and when you say you hear it narrow you are right too

Blake

Alternatively there is eqMac. I have never used it. People like it.

I love eqMac and I'm puzzled why it doesn't get more attention. I've got nothing against Sound Source, but eqMac is fantastic. It has the AutoEq presets easily available from a pulldown menu, and it's easy to add, modify, or create your own EQ profiles. I've grown to like the spatial audio feature, too. The "small room" preset does a better job of sounding speaker-like to me than any crossfeed ever did. I paid the $40 for the Lifetime Pro license and would do so again in a heartbeat.

Just throwing it out there.

Edit: Just realized I'm responding to a post from April. Ah, well. The sentiment is the same.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Blake does eqMac support importing presets in .txt format?
Preamp: -9.88 dB Filter 1: ON LS Fc 105.0 Hz Gain 10.5 dB Q 0.70 Filter 2: ON PK Fc 52.0 Hz Gain -2.2 dB Q 1.90 Filter 3: ON PK Fc 72.6 Hz Gain -3.4 dB Q 0.69 Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1267.2 Hz Gain -4.3 dB Q 1.29 Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1570.8 Hz Gain -0.8 dB Q 4.42 Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2173.1 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 3.80 Filter 7: ON PK Fc 4798.4 Hz Gain -4.3 dB Q 3.79 Filter 8: ON PK Fc 6787.6 Hz Gain 5.3 dB Q 1.79 Filter 9: ON PK Fc 9238.0 Hz Gain 2.9 dB Q 2.63 Filter 10: ON HS Fc 10000.0 Hz Gain -6.1 dB Q 0.70

That's about the only reason I keep recommending SoundSource instead..

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most headphones benefit from EQ. They will usually need a boost in the bass and some corrections for resonances in the high frequencies.

Blake

@Blake does eqMac support importing presets in .txt format?
Preamp: -9.88 dB Filter 1: ON LS Fc 105.0 Hz Gain 10.5 dB Q 0.70 Filter 2: ON PK Fc 52.0 Hz Gain -2.2 dB Q 1.90 Filter 3: ON PK Fc 72.6 Hz Gain -3.4 dB Q 0.69 Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1267.2 Hz Gain -4.3 dB Q 1.29 Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1570.8 Hz Gain -0.8 dB Q 4.42 Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2173.1 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 3.80 Filter 7: ON PK Fc 4798.4 Hz Gain -4.3 dB Q 3.79 Filter 8: ON PK Fc 6787.6 Hz Gain 5.3 dB Q 1.79 Filter 9: ON PK Fc 9238.0 Hz Gain 2.9 dB Q 2.63 Filter 10: ON HS Fc 10000.0 Hz Gain -6.1 dB Q 0.70

That's about the only reason I keep recommending SoundSource instead..

You copy and paste rather than import a file, but yes, it takes that same format. You can also directly edit any EQ profile that way if you prefer it to using the knobs and sliders.

Edit: I should mention that these features are only in the Pro version, but I think you can play with it in the trial version for a period of time.

zonk

I use an HD800S since three years and I absolutely love it. They are very comfortable and sound wonderful. I usually use some eq for all of my headphones by using EAPO or eq in my RME DAC.

Here is an offer on the Sennheiser Outlet for a refubished HD800S:
https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/de-DE/p/hd-800-s-refurbished/

If someone is looking for Sennheiser headphones I really can recommend the Sennheiser Outlet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom