• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is wrong with the HD800S? Needs EQ? Some Say Yes Others No

Does the HD800S Need EQ?

• Yes

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters

Hammeredklavier

The HD820 is quite famous for his wonky frequency response. But I cannot deny that I am still interested in it.

Don't know where are you located but here in Germany there is an actual offer: https://www.sennheiser-hearing.com/de-DE/p/hd-820-refurbished/
I don't keep up with things these days, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the isolation isn't great. I've always got half an eye to new sealed cans since most of the opportunities I get to listen to music are while I'm at my desk with a (noisy) PC as source. I'm not sure I see the point of sealed cans with less than stellar isolation, you might as well just use 650s if you're not bothered about ambient noise getting in! HD300 Pros are my go-to at the moment, although I've got some of those sealed Neumann things at work - I can never remember what they're called! Both isolate pretty well, although I prefer then Sennheisers sonically, the Neumanns are a bit bottom heavy.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Un-EQ'd HD800 is my audio equivalent of the dental drill.
The only time they was bearable to me was with a diy tube HP amp probably tailored to them to give them meat and kill them high.

And that shows how different taste is,my friend adores them as is,they are he's daily driver.
So...

Hammeredklavier

Un-EQ'd HD800 is my audio equivalent of the dental drill.
The only time they was bearable to me was with a diy tube HP amp probably tailored to them to give them meat and kill them high.

And that shows how different taste is,my friend adores them as is,they are he's daily driver.
So...
Well, it's subjective isn't it. And with cans, it'll depend on the shape of your ears and so on.

In a perfectly silent room I'd probably just use HD650s (or HD600s, which appear to be the same) and be done. But my music is saved on a computer, so I need decent isolation.

Hammeredklavier

Yeah there's no way they're worth their asking price. Not with that comically bad frequency response.
It's weird though. Sennheiser know how to design headphones, and at that price...! I'm not sure how they managed to get it wrong. And Amir was finding things like poor channel matching as well.

It's not great for a renowned manufacturer's most expensive model.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's weird though. Sennheiser know how to design headphones, and at that price...! I'm not sure how they managed to get it wrong.
It feels like the HD 820 was an upper management decision to get that stupid collab with Corning.
I doubt that Sennheiser's enginners are particularly happy with the way things turned out.

Of course, audiophiles will lap it up regardless.

tomchris

If you are not itching for the HD800S after demoing it, you really ought to give other headphones a try such as Senneheiser HD580/HD600/HD650 series or any one of headphones from the Stax Lambda-series.

Forget flagship headphones. The performance vs price just isn't there. Technology has improved greatly, but upper management has been treating headphones like veblen goods the last 20 years. So, performance has stagnated and prices skyrocketed. The price of flagship headphones these days are utterly ridiculous. Still, that is what you get when there are plenty of audiophiles out there with money to burn.

Hammeredklavier

If you are not itching for the HD800S after demoing it, you really ought to give other headphones a try such as Senneheiser HD580/HD600/HD650 series or any one of headphones from the Stax Lambda-series.

Forget flagship headphones. The performance vs price just isn't there. Technology has improved greatly, but upper management has been treating headphones like veblen goods the last 20 years. So, performance has stagnated and prices skyrocketed. The price of flagship headphones these days are utterly ridiculous. Still, that is what you get when there are plenty of audiophiles out there with money to burn.
In a nice quiet room, I'll take the open back Sennheiser classics you mention every time.

Top Bottom