• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Broken HE6 - what to replace it with?

leonroy

Forum Donor
So after 12 years of service my HE6 fell apart, the headband snapped and on attempting to remove the screws they stripped super easily and moreover the foam inside was all crumbling.

1697793079830.png
1697793165859.png

Was wondering what do folks recommend replacing them with?

I have a Topping A90 as my amp. I see the HD800S handles EQ-ing well to have more bass and it's easily available in the UK. There's also the Audeze LCD-X and LCD-XC which are easily obtainable.

Are the new Hifiman HE1000 series any good?

Mainly listen to electronic music and jazz...so good bass response and midrange are key. Also have mild tinnitus causing treble rich headphones to be fatiguing.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If the drivers still work I would inquire with HiFiMAN about buying new baffles and a headband. Then just replace those components on yours and continue using it.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If the drivers still work I would inquire with HiFiMAN about buying new baffles and a headband. Then just replace those components on yours and continue using it.
This! We feed the landfills much to easy nowadays.... Off topic, but this is the reason I decided to buy a Fairphone 5 a few weeks ago and I hope that I can use it at least until 2033.

If you like your headphones, get it repaired.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good to hear once in a while stories about Hifiman headphones lasting 10+ years as opposed to them breaking up after 6 months.

Well, the world is your oyster really. You can see if you can repair it as suggested previously, you can continue on the Hifiman path and go with HE6se, HE1000 V2 or even Susvara. LCD-X is a great headphone as well but it is a bit on the heavier side. MM-500 is great from Audeze as well. HD800S is also another great option. My suggestion is to try and audition them if possible, ignore what the sales people say and see what you like.

OP
L

leonroy

Forum Donor
I did contact HiFiMAN but they spent all their time trying to sell me a new pair of headphones. They said they don't repair or offer parts for such old headphones and wouldn't even sell me the headband since I'm in the UK and it's only sold in the US.

This! We feed the landfills much to easy nowadays...
Agree 100%. I repair almost everything which breaks in the house so I did have a go at repairing it - first step was to remove the screws in the cups. The HE6 screws are notoriously soft and often strip.

Whilst I was able to free one of the cups the other cup was left with two stripped screws:

1697824563377.jpeg
IMG_2298.jpeg

Whilst I contemplated my options someone contacted me on Headfi and offered to buy it so I listed it and it sold within minutes for parts:

So not to worry, it's not going to landfill.

...you can continue on the Hifiman path and go with HE6se, HE1000 V2 or even Susvara. LCD-X is a great headphone as well but it is a bit on the heavier side. MM-500 is great from Audeze as well. HD800S is also another great option. My suggestion is to try and audition them if possible, ignore what the sales people say and see what you like.

Many thanks, some good options there, I'll have to seek those out for audition and see what suits!

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd sell them on eBay and check the Black Friday sale they just started if you want another Hifiman. I just got the Ananda Stealth for $349 and the warranty got extended to 18 months if you follow them on Facebook. They also have a big discount on cables with purchase, to take advantage of the A90 and stay in low gain for best sound.

zonk

I have a Hifiman HE6SE that make me very happy. I would recommend to check the Hifiman store that have made some huge price reductions lately. Maybe you will find something nice. I personally only know the Sundara and HE6SE from the Hifiman product line, both sound very good.

Here is the link to the Hifiman store:
https://store.hifiman.com/

I can really recommend the HE6SE which is unfortunately not in stock at the moment.

Additionally you can send an email to the service of Hifiman if it's possible to repair your HE6. They are usually very friendly and helpful.

Top Bottom