• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is it in old amplifiers, receives that smells?

It's been a few years since all of the electronic parts stores near me have closed, due to the passing of the proprietor, but I have always liked the smell of bakelite
when walking into the shop and liked to use it in my projects.

Have you experienced that otherwise functioning old amplifiers and or receives can emit a special smell? I can't put my finger, or nose, on exactly describe that type of smell. Kind of smelling warm old electronics.It sort of smells of its age and I know vaguely described.It's not a smell that directly annoys me, but I'm mostly curious about what it is that creates that smell? Smell when the stuff is turned on, that is.
I always check that no dust has collected, for safety reasons, fire risk so it can't create the smell. Are old warm transformers causing the smell?

In addition, I have experienced different smells and even the level of the strength of the smell differs between manufacturers and models. That in itself may depend on how much used, old and worn the stuff is and not so much depending on the manufacturer, model, or?

It's probably a mix of things. Smelly chemicals that's been outlawed and/or outdated + compounds that are breaking down to aromatics of different kinds.

I've been told that the reason why antique bookstores smell nice, is because the cellulose in the paper breaks down to tons of different aromatics that, for instance, are found in coffee and vanilla.

Unique smells have always fascinated me.

Like new car smell - you can buy sprays and such that claim to replicate it but they don't.

Las Vegas always smells of sulpher, hits you as soon as you get off the plane. L.A either smells of the beach or meat char-grilling.

London doesn't really have a smell, except for the Underground which has a unique smell not replicated on the New York or Paris metros.

I tend to leave the office late when the cleaners are already in. I don't know what products they use but they make the place smell like an American hotel - not a British hotel mind, which smells totally different.

I don't think anyone has ever been able to pin these things down to specifics.
It's hard to describe smells, at least for me, and how I experience them.But an example of a special smell, for me. I'm not a poet so I don't know how to describe the smell in the family summer cottage when I get there in the summer. A special smell. A summer cottage that has been in the family since I was a baby, so the first memories I have are from that cottage.:)

Note not a moisture-damaged cabin but just a special smell.

Last edited:
I hope nobody minds if I take this conversation in a slightly different direction...

I have a wonderful old (~1978) LUXMAN LUXKIT Avance Z501 amp that is the equal to any other solid state amp I have owned - and better than most.

The problem is the smell. The amp smells a bit like old fish - NOT rotten fish! - and the smell gets stronger as the amp heats up.

Given that this is a switchable 25W/CLASS-A | 100W/CLASS-AB amp with a pipe-centred heat sink - this amp can get really hot!

I've had the tan-coloured top (green 'glass under) circuit boards out and treated them with various potions, none of which have removed the ghastly odour this amp makes.

All of the electrolytic caps have been replaced - except the massive smoothing caps, which show no signs of leakage - and the smell prevails.

What have I missed?

Is it the old PCB material itself making the smell, do you think?

Is there anything I can do about it?

Failing an effective deodorant plan, I'm probably left with no choice but to dismantle all of the boards and carefully clone them in modern materials.

...but only if the PCB material is the actual problem!

I welcome far more experienced opinions...

2019-05 LAST LOOK 1.JPG
2019-05 LAST LOOK 3.JPG

POWER SUPPLY BOARD 4558D OPAMP Styrol Capacitor.JPG

LUXMAN LUXKIT Avance Z501 Power Supply Capacitors.JPG

In my experience, vintage JVC equipment is bad for these smells. I wonder if @restorer-john has any opinion on this?

Tony, do you recall noticing if the offending JVC amps sported similar tan-top PCB boards? (Like my LUXMAN above...)

Even with dusting I've always thought it was mostly dust. Old tube gear seeming to put out more smell. Like you describe not unpleasant, but a smell of age somehow. Maybe some of the old wiring harnesses smell different than old PCB traces and such. Maybe just the different materials off gassing different stuff. Like in this old tubed Fisher receiver showing the bottom of the circuit board.

View attachment 312130

What device is that? Looks like someone threw a bunch of components into a metal container and gave it a good shake.

Tony, do you recall noticing if the offending JVC amps sported similar tan-top PCB boards? (Like my LUXMAN above...)
The PCBs look the same colour from memory.

There's also a thread about this on DIY Audio.

Regarding electronics, old PCBs were full of phenol analogue substances. What you smell there is actually residual phenol or substituted derivatives from the phenolic resin the PCB is made of.

Back
Top Bottom