• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is it about McIntosh?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The sound. Starts getting grainy or usually something obvious like some distortion creeping in or a tube just fails. If that happens and all the tubes are many years old I just take it as a signal to replace all of them. (If I had a tube tester maybe I'd find some or all of them are still ok, but I can't be bothered).
You really need to get a tube tester. Maybe they do and I haven't seen it, but a good product might be a modern tube tester for some company to make. Otherwise, probably have to scrounge a bit or find one on ebay or something.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If I had a tube tester
Remember the days when every corner drugstore had them, and tubes for sale too. :D
There's a crap load for sale on ebay

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You really need to get a tube tester. Maybe they do and I haven't seen it, but a good product might be a modern tube tester for some company to make. Otherwise, probably have to scrounge a bit or find one on ebay or something.
There's been a few of them out there, the Audiomatica Sofia is one that comes to mind. The old TV repairman sets are pretty crude but will let you find obvious failures. Where it gets tricky is determining if the victim fell or was pushed.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Erin is measuring some McIntosh gear, so soon we should get some actual numbers and talk a bit beyond the aesthetics.

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
I thought you were making a joke. I checked, and then wished I hadn't. Best Buy. Good Grief. How things have changed.
It gets worse: They make car audio equipment now IIRC, so you can make your door panels and trunk vibrate with McIntosh style.
It's just another 'name' now.

JP

Major Contributor
There's been a few of them out there, the Audiomatica Sofia is one that comes to mind. The old TV repairman sets are pretty crude but will let you find obvious failures. Where it gets tricky is determining if the victim fell or was pushed.

You ever play with the uTracer?

JP

Major Contributor
Nope. I think Morgan Jones has one and he likes it quite a bit.

I built the first version, measured a couple tubes, and then stopped playing with tube stuff :facepalm:. It worked a treat though. Reminds me I should sell the Triplett 3444A.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It gets worse: They make car audio equipment now IIRC, so you can make your door panels and trunk vibrate with McIntosh style.
They have made car audio on and off since the mid 90s...

Car audio is a cash cow for the audio industry. My VW's Harman Kardon premium sound system and the other Harman brands of car audio have been keeping harman's R&D going for decades. It is also likely why many of Harman International's brands still exist. Having multiple brands gives them more brands to offer exclusive rights to the different auto makers.

egellings

Major Contributor
The sound. Starts getting grainy or usually something obvious like some distortion creeping in or a tube just fails. If that happens and all the tubes are many years old I just take it as a signal to replace all of them. (If I had a tube tester maybe I'd find some or all of them are still ok, but I can't be bothered).
In the case of output tubes that are paralleled, you would want to replace them all when any of them wear out.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In the case of output tubes that are paralleled, you would want to replace them all when any of them wear out.
In matched pairs when possible. ;)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I wouldn't mind Hypex or Purifi creating car variants of their amps, though...

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
Mcintosh did make automotive amps. I had a 1972 Pantera. I installed Mcintosh gear in. As far as I know it is still in the car
working well, in the Carmel area. I used Mcintosh on 4 or 5 installs. They were all larger Cat Excavators. They were all
in quarries.

Like many Mac product the quality was very good. The amps are still sought after and fairly easy to maintain.

I use class Ds in my rides now and have for a while. From a Pantera to a Toyota in only 40 years. I still like the 2003 Camry better.
Sure get better fuel milage.

18-22mpg unless you were going 100+ with a tail wind. Easy 30mpg. Good engines. 351cid (C) Pantera.

Regards

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mcintosh did make automotive amps. I had a 1972 Pantera. I installed Mcintosh gear in. As far as I know it is still in the car
working well, in the Carmel area. I used Mcintosh on 4 or 5 installs. They were all larger Cat Excavators. They were all
in quarries.

Like many Mac product the quality was very good. The amps are still sought after and fairly easy to maintain.

I use class Ds in my rides now and have for a while. From a Pantera to a Toyota in only 40 years. I still like the 2003 Camry better.
Sure get better fuel milage.

18-22mpg unless you were going 100+ with a tail wind. Easy 30mpg. Good engines. 351cid (C) Pantera.

Regards
I think that 1972 Pantera is a wicked looking muscle car today and I can only imagine what it looked like to the general public in 1972!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In matched pairs when possible. ;)

Yep. My input tubes (and spares) are matched and my spare power tubes are quad-matched.

I have enough back ups that my tubes will probably outlive me.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. My input tubes (and spares) are matched and my spare power tubes are quad-matched.

I have enough back ups that my tubes will probably outlive me.
You have a outlier nice powerful tube amp so collecting tubes for backup is not out of reason.

Top Bottom