• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is a decently good reviewed and affordable device to connect multiple amplified speakers by XLR?

Slyceth

I've looked at several devices, and since I have a decent amplifier, I wish to use the XLR inputs from it to connect it to my PC/media station.
One device that seems to do everything I need is the Cosmos ADC/ADCiso, but I don't know if it's meant for daily music consumption (it says it's for benchmarking/testing?)
But it's all I need, right and left XLR, to USB(-C).

Could someone recommend me a good reviewed device that does the same thing but is maybe better available so I can pull the trigger?

Thank you!

(I already have a sub, the SVS SB 2000 Pro, hooked up seperately to the pc audio card, but if that can go through this device and have better balancing that would be appreciated!)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not understanding.

It sounds like you want to send sound from an amp to your PC.

That doesnt make sense - it is normally the other way around. Plus inputs on the amp cannot ouput sound.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The SMSL M300SE works well but get the new version as the flash utility is hit or miss. I just got an SMSL DL200 and really like it, going to keep it as a daily driver for a while.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From what think, he needs a DAC with XLR. It's what I'm guessing.
Not understanding.

It sounds like you want to send sound from an amp to your PC.

That doesnt make sense - it is normally the other way around. Plus inputs on the amp cannot ouput sound.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Cosmos ADC is an audio recorder. It does not output audio via XLR.

Are you looking for a DAC? So Digital in -> XLR out?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is like the blind men and the elephant. I thought he just needs an XLR switch box.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hopefully he will return and clarify.

OP
S

Slyceth

My sincere apologies, I'm back to clarify. What I need is digital in -> Left+Right XLR out. No audio recording.
Thank you for your patience!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My sincere apologies, I'm back to clarify. What I need is digital in -> Left+Right XLR out. No audio recording.
Thank you for your patience!
That'll be a balanced output DAC you are needing.

Hang on......

If you can get away with only USB in - then this is probably the cheapest - though you'd need TRS to XLR cables:

Otherwise.....

Perhaps this (also has headphone amp)

Or...

Etc

Last edited:
OP
S

Slyceth

That'll be a balanced output DAC you are needing.

Hang on......

If you can get away with only USB in - then this is probably the cheapest - though you'd need TRS to XLR cables:

Otherwise.....

Perhaps this (also has headphone amp)

Or...

Etc
Thank you! I bought the Dopping D10 Balanced.
It works perfectly, only now I do not know where to connect my SVS SB-2000 PRO Subwoofer, connecting it to S/PDIF out only makes the subwoofer give off a hum, and the amplifier only has a S-12V trigger output.

Do you know how I can connect it? Does it go into the PC?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thank you! I bought the Dopping D10 Balanced.
It works perfectly, only now I do not know where to connect my SVS SB-2000 PRO Subwoofer, connecting it to S/PDIF out only makes the subwoofer give off a hum, and the amplifier only has a S-12V trigger output.

Do you know how I can connect it? Does it go into the PC?
Unfortunately, you cannot connect both an XLR Amp and RCA sub to the D10B.

Likewise, connecting the XLR Amp to the D10B and the sub to your PC can lead to issues as the two DACs go out of sync.

Ideally, you would use a DAC with both Balanced and Unbalanced Line output.
Something like the SMSL D-6 or M300 SE, Topping E50, Schiit Modius.

OP
S

Slyceth

Unfortunately, you cannot connect both an XLR Amp and RCA sub to the D10B.

Likewise, connecting the XLR Amp to the D10B and the sub to your PC can lead to issues as the two DACs go out of sync.

Ideally, you would use a DAC with both Balanced and Unbalanced Line output.
Something like the SMSL D-6 or M300 SE, Topping E50, Schiit Modius.
Thank you for the recommendations! It seems I can get the SMSL D-6 for 170, and the Topping E50 for 200. I have just one more question to get the full picture of the set-up I'll end up with. I'll be making a lot of assumptions and I hope you can correct me where I'm wrong?
As I understand, the purpose of these usb dacs is to get 2 speaker channels, and then use the 2 unbalanced channels to connect one or two subwoofers. It is not clear to me what the other ports do, namely the 5V, Coax and Optical ports.

So what I'm wondering is whether the miniDSP Flex HT isn't a better purchase. I'm not sure but I believe it also has a subwoofer output, but in addition it has 8, I think, balanced outputs, meaning I can have a surround setup of 4 speakers around me and 1 subwoofer. It has that upgrade-ability factor if I were to get more speakers later down the line and I think having an option to go surround is really cool. The one caveat, I assume, is that I'd have to connect it via HDMI instead of usb, just like an AVR receiver, because usb can't carry multi-channel audio? I don't see any downsides though.
Or am I wrong and is the only option to go above 2.1/2.2 to get an actual full-on receiver, the cheapest option being the Denon AVC-X3800H, or maybe even the AVR-X1800H, but I see no balanced outputs on these or any mainly-audio receivers.. Is it not normal for receiver-owning people who have let's say 7.1, to have 2, 4 or even 6 of those channels powered by their own amplifier?

Thank you so much!

staticV3

Master Contributor
So what I'm wondering is whether the miniDSP Flex HT isn't a better purchase.
It's a more versatile product at a higher price.

The one caveat, I assume, is that I'd have to connect it via HDMI instead of usb, just like an AVR receiver, because usb can't carry multi-channel audio?
USB can carry Multichannel audio. The Flex HT just can't receive Multichannel via USB.

Or am I wrong and is the only option to go above 2.1/2.2 to get an actual full-on receiver
The Flex HT can certainly be used for a surround sound setup.
The biggest caveat is that it can't decode surround sound formats like Dolby Digital, Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, etc.

Is it not normal for receiver-owning people who have let's say 7.1, to have 2, 4 or even 6 of those channels powered by their own amplifier?
Most people use their AVR to power all speakers (except subs).
Some audio enthusiasts will buy an external Amp for their L/C/R.

OP
S

Slyceth

The Flex HT can certainly be used for a surround sound setup.
The biggest caveat is that it can't decode surround sound formats like Dolby Digital, Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, etc.
So to conclude, the best option would be a secondhand receiver. I found a Denon AVR-X2700H DAB for 360, would that do the trick?

So for expanding the speakers, say I bought for example a pair of budget speakers that have 1 plug that normally goes directly into the pc audio port, but instead I put it into the pre-out port on the receiver, can I use them as replacement for any channel, only for front left+right, or am I better off sticking to only buying passive speakers apart from the front two hi-fi ones?

staticV3

Master Contributor
So for expanding the speakers, say I bought for example a pair of budget speakers that have 1 plug that normally goes directly into the pc audio port, but instead I put it into the pre-out port on the receiver, can I use them as replacement for any channel, only for front left+right, or am I better off sticking to only buying passive speakers apart from the front two hi-fi ones?
Which speakers, which receiver?

chuckt62

Editor
Unless I’m missing some requirement, I’d get the miniDSP FLEX in the Balanced config along with the output cables.

OP
S

Slyceth

Which speakers, which receiver?
Just imagine a bargain bin logitech speaker: (and any other passive speakers I might pick up in the future that just have the 2 simple wires)
dasasdasds.png

And the current receiver I'm looking at is the Denon AVR-X2700H DAB, but honestly I think most receivers will do the trick, the secondhand market is flooded with these things.

Unless I’m missing some requirement, I’d get the miniDSP FLEX in the Balanced config along with the output cables.
Yes but the miniDSP is over 800$, and doesn't decode those surround audio formats, and I don't see where I would plug my subwoofer in

Tom C

Major Contributor
I think you have some decisions to make.
If you ever really go multichannel, it is worth being sure that each channel is level matched at the listening position. That is, they all are equally loud. You also want each of the speakers to have the same or similar frequency response and off-axis behavior, since they all work together to create the sound field. If you use the same amp or type of amp and same speaker on every channel, that helps make the job easier. Because of the physical layout of a person’s room, and because of budget constraints, the ideal is not always possible, but the closer to the ideal you can get, the easier the set up will be, and the better the result will be.
The people making the games, movies and other content have all worked together with the people who distribute content on discs and on line, along with the folks who make the home audio-visual gear, to ensure that they have at least some control over the prevention of piracy and other measures to help support profits. When people get together with a common goal and work hard and long at something, they often succeed, as is the case in the situation we are discussing. That is why the situation exists currently. It is possible to use a PC for many of the things we would like to be able to do, but not all. The same can be true of an AVR. There may be some things you can do on a PC that are harder, or not possible on an AVR. So you have to choose one, the other, or both. For the reasons you mention, an AVR is the easiest and cheapest route, with the fewest limitations, at least for most applications, and within most budgets.
You already have a two-channel DAC of excellent quality, an amp that will accept an XLR input, and a PC. You can try to use those with splitter cables to connect the DAC to your amp and sub at the same time. You need one splitter for each of the left and right channels. Then you’ll need adapters to match the XLR output of the splitter to the RCA input of the sub. You have a low-pass filter on your sub, so that’s good, but you’ll have no high-pass filter for your mains, and you may spend $50 to $100 or so for all the wires and adapters. Still probably the cheapest.
If you get a two-channel DAC with RCA and XLR outputs, you still won’t have a high-pass filter for the mains. You’d just eliminate the need for splitters and adapters.
So the next cheapest that has a real advantage, and is an actual step up, may be the used AVR, since that will give you the high pass for the mains. You already have a low-pass built into your sub, and many AVR’s can also do the low-pass part, so that’s also covered. Since you have a power amp, you may already have passive speakers. If so, you can use the amps built into the AVR directly to the passive speakers, or you can use the pre-outs of the AVR to the power amp input. In that case, if the AVR pre-outs have RCA connectors, and the power amp inputs are XLR only, you will need an adapter to match the two. As far as choosing whether to connect the passive speakers to the power amp or directly to the AVR, I would choose the one with the most watts.
As long as your AVR has pre outs as well as speaker connectors, it is your choice as to whether to go with active or passive speakers. Both will work. And yes, you can mix and match, with passive L and R and active surrounds, or whatever, and it will work. But it will also be fussier and more difficult to balance correctly if you mix and match.

Top Bottom