• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

stoo23

Having worked for many years as both a Live 'Touring' and Studio engineer and used many various units, (usually Beyer or AKG), I recently purchased a pair of Brand New but (Still in the Box) 2nd Hand Shure SRH 440's, (mainly due to their reviews and reported performance), let alone the Price the seller was asking, as compared to New, they were truly a Bargain.
He had won them in a local community raffle for charity and already had 2 x pairs of headphones, so was simply moving them on as it were.

The Shures' are great with impressive Low End, (without it being of the Boosted Bass variety lol) and with some subtle EQ, are IMHO Very good and More than acceptable, Especially for the price.
So far, I have not had Any of the issues I have read other people report and they 'fit' my head and ears quite well :)
Simply for convenience, I replaced the supplied 'Coily Cable', with a much more flexible and Longer cloth covered 'non coily' cable.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have since long the Sennheiser HD 250 Linear in a box stoved away. It is by now a vintage headphone, not produced by Sennheiser for many years, I had not used them for a long time, but some days ago I read an text that made me try them again. I was very surprised how fun they are. Very punchy. I think they are especially fun for Hard Rock music since it has both good bas and treble well suited for this music. I tamed the treble slightly with a felt inlay.

Warlequin

I am extremely content with my Hidesz S9 pro and Beyer Dynamics DT 900 Pro X.

Surely not the best in the world on both products but very high on price quality index. (100 euro for dac and 192 for the Headphone). I hear stuff (with qobuz) that I never heard on other systems.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am extremely content with my Hidesz S9 pro and Beyer Dynamics DT 900 Pro X.

Surely not the best in the world on both products but very high on price quality index. (100 euro for dac and 192 for the Headphone). I hear stuff (with qobuz) that I never heard on other systems.
Strange/extreme frequency responses in some headphones will make you hear stuff you've never heard on other systems, that doesn't mean it's good, it just means it's highlighting a different part of the music. The best frequency response in a headphone is one where you can hear all elements within the music but nothing jumps out too hard, yet you can choose to rest your attention on different parts/instruments within the music as you mind desires, and overall tonality should sound balanced when you're just resting your focus on the "bigger picture". That's the way I see it after my various EQ journeys with various headphones and speakers.

nonnyno

I now have
  • Ipod Pro 2's (pretty good) for general out and about listening and when on my phone - they're good enough.
  • Sony WH100-MX 5 excellent for work and comfortable
  • A set of DCA Aeon 2 Noires - excellent back to backed them with numerous HP and for me they were able to compete easily with many far more expensive. I back to backed them against focal stellias and could hear more detail and more bass from the DCA's. The DCA Stealth were better but not nearly £3000 better,
  • Just picked up a Sennheiser HD820 for 1399 GBP in the UK brand new and frankly for my ears they're better (though different to the DCA Noires). I enjoy them more. Perhaps its the perceived sound stage. I really don't get much of the criticism of them so there's clearly something wrong with my ears!
All of this of course is personal opinion and not measured because by measure the DCA's are closest to the Harman standard but in spite of this I'm preferring the Senns.

Warlequin

Strange/extreme frequency responses in some headphones will make you hear stuff you've never heard on other systems, that doesn't mean it's good, it just means it's highlighting a different part of the music. The best frequency response in a headphone is one where you can hear all elements within the music but nothing jumps out too hard, yet you can choose to rest your attention on different parts/instruments within the music as you mind desires, and overall tonality should sound balanced when you're just resting your focus on the "bigger picture". That's the way I see it after my various EQ journeys with various headphones and speakers.
Hi Robbo, Thanks for the reply,

Not sure if we're on the same page here. I am talking about actual audible things which were put in the recording. Not because of a strange/ extreme frequency response or loudness. I talk things like about reverb placement, or more depth in certain percussion, even small producer hickups. I am a producer myself for many many years and I do a lot of headphone work (easy over 10000+hours) and I can clearly hear 'more' on my hidesz than on a let's say dragonfly cobalt.

And another thing about 'good'. What's 'good' is so subjective that it should be removed as a topic. We all hear different and have different opinions at different times in our lives.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Robbo, Thanks for the reply,

Not sure if we're on the same page here. I am talking about actual audible things which were put in the recording. Not because of a strange/ extreme frequency response or loudness. I talk things like about reverb placement, or more depth in certain percussion, even small producer hickups. I am a producer myself for many many years and I do a lot of headphone work (easy over 10000+hours) and I can clearly hear 'more' on my hidesz than on a let's say dragonfly cobalt.

And another thing about 'good'. What's 'good' is so subjective that it should be removed as a topic. We all hear different and have different opinions at different times in our lives.
It's true that the DT 900 Pro X is not as extreme as the DT990 after I looked at the frequency response on Oratory's reddit just now, so I was more thinking along the lines of the DT990. I doubt you can hear the difference between DACS unless one measures terribly, if that's what you're saying in one part of your post - not that we have to go into detail on that in this thread as it's been talked to death in another popular thread here called something like "do DACS have a sound signature".

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD 650, Koss KPH40 and Sennheiser Momentum 4 (bluetooth). All sound great to me.

Edited to add: Just got the Sennheiser IE 200. I think it will be my new favorite. It even sounds better than the HD650.

Last edited:

spinrite

I've always been a IEM listener from my Etymotics to Shures 846 to the Flare Audio Golds, my first venture in the over the ear headphones is the wireless Sennheiser Momentums 4 I just picked up for $120 with some discounts in place. Made it a no brainer to jump into the full size headphone audio experience. I gotta say I'm enjoying these Senn M4'S, Bluetooth sound isn't a comprise for me through these and to boot I can connect them up with a usb c to usb c cable end to end for hi res audio and really test out the audiophile 42mm in house Senn created audio transducers. They are quite a package in every audio performance aspect. Battery life on bluetooth has been amazingly long ranging up to the advertised 60 hours. Anyone else that is using this headphone to get the most out of this headphone is to use the Sound Personalization built into the app. It was co developed with Fraunhofer Institute. The sound personalization process optimizes tunes the headphones to the users sound preferences. This is where they transform and morph into pure magical audio output making the MT4'S super sound customizable. My advise is to leave the eq settings alone and only tune these MT4'S only with the sound personalization feature in the app. Can this end my desire for spending anymore on the audio hobby. This might keep me happy for awhile longer lol I dont want to hear anything better, I'm leaving now ;)

Last edited:

Benesyed

Just amassing a large collection for the fun of it. Completely unnecessary but cheaper than cars or watches!

Sennheiser HD650
ZMF Atrium
ZMF Verite
ZMF Caldera
DCA Expanse

Sennheiser HD800S
DCA stealth
Focal Utopia
HFM Susvara
Sennheiser HE 1

Compact_D

Amp - L50.
EQ - Soundsource.

HD 650 - about 20 years old, oddly I like it most without EQ. Also great with Crinacle IEF without bass boost.
AK371 - purchased after Amir's review. Surprisingly good sound despite it's Harman curve which I generally do not like too much.
Momentum 3 Wireless - sounds great with Hi End tuning, but used not too much due to inconvenience to carry them around
Apple Airpods Pro 2 - sounds great with EQ + "Vocal Range" accomodations but unusable without complicated EQ
HD 800 S - purchased after comparing (without EQ) with DC Stealth and Expanse. I cannot say it sounded better than DC headphones, but it was clear that I wanted HD 800 S. Oddly it sounds good to me both with and without EQ (Crinacle IEF without bass boost)

Best sounding is of course HD 800 S.
Finally, about difference between IEF Neutral EQ and Harman curve. It is not that I do not like bass, but I feel that Harman bass boost alters sound of certain orchestral instruments compared to studio monitors. My understanding is that Harman bass boost is a result of trying to compensate for perceived less bass on headphones compared to speakers where the whole body is helping to "hear" bass. It works but it is also gives a bit wrong sound to orchestra. It may be fine for most, but is annoying for me. That is why I better accept less bass but "correct" sound.
For the same reason I think that DC 100Hz bass boost is a very bad idea, even it works and produces more pleasant sound in many cases.

robertwt7

Airpods max - for travelling
Airpods pro - for working out
DT 900 Pro x - for work
attached to Fiio K5 Pro ess

I love how DT 900 pro x sounds! Although I'm currently looking for something new to try as well

dzerig

Just amassing a large collection for the fun of it. Completely unnecessary but cheaper than cars or watches!

Sennheiser HD650
ZMF Atrium
ZMF Verite
ZMF Caldera
DCA Expanse

Sennheiser HD800S
DCA stealth
Focal Utopia
HFM Susvara
Sennheiser HE 1
At a certain point, I find too many to listen to is less fun.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I added Audeze Maxwell to the collection. They happened to have ultraviolet edition available in my go-to store for too cheap for me to pass. Wonderful product for the price, even considering full price. It's kind of heavy and you can't use your fancy equipment, but the sound with the default EQ is already very close to Harman and I find you can play as loud as you like without problems, wirelessly.

Hope we get amir to measure it sometime, I bet it will cause some waves.

farhad

I just ordered the Truthear Zero Reds. Other than that I have
  • Grado SR60
  • Grado SR80e
  • tiny headphones some random airline gave me

Tsukuru

Here and there. Also longing for the Audeze Maxwell.

• HiFiMAN Sundara
  • Heavys H1H
  • Sony WH-1000XM4
  • Audio-Technica ATH M50x BT
  • Drop + EPOS PC38X

• Moondrop Kato
  • Moondrop Aria
  • Hidizs MP145
  • Ikko OH1
  • Sony WF-1000XM4

• FiiO K5 Pro
  • Nextdrive SpectreX