• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Aynsley

started on ath700 - still the most comfortable headphones ever, and sound lovely

I still have an ATH500 and an ATH900, and I couldn't agree more about the comfort. I can't remember how many times I replaced the ear pads and the wing pads.

Womaz

For me headphone listening when I had an apartment, I always used to think of it as a bit of a shame that I had to use them.
Over the last 10 years or so my opinion Has changed , I no longer live in an apartment but I reckon 80% of my serious listening are with headphones
Got the Hifiman HE1000 about 7 year ago , and two year ago got the Abyss 1266TC which is now my go to headphone
I have also committed to the HD800S yesterday so that’s on its way. I used to have a pair and sold them 2 years ago but have always regretted it, so yeah got them again.

The B&W PX8 are my portable choice

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For me headphone listening when I had an apartment, I always used to think of it as a bit of a shame that I had to use them.
Over the last 10 years or so my opinion Has changed , I no longer live in an apartment but I reckon 80% of my serious listening are with headphones
Got the Hifiman HE1000 about 7 year ago , and two year ago got the Abyss 1266TC which is now my go to headphone
I have also committed to the HD800S yesterday so that’s on its way. I used to have a pair and sold them 2 years ago but have always regretted it, so yeah got them again.

The B&W PX8 are my portable choice
It's a lot easier to get perceived high quality sound from headphones because you're not dealing with room modes and distortion is often times lower, especially in the bass for both cases. But the caveat is that only when you choose a reasonable headphone with good EQ (probably based on Oratory measurements). Good speakers and proper room setup & roomEQ will trump the headphones though. For accuracy in vocals and higher up in the frequency range then good measuring speakers will win every time, but you'd need to choose a good speaker based on Amir's measurements and perhaps add some additional anechoic EQ based on those measurements. In general I find it easier to get higher fidelity from headphones, almost totally down to "getting the bass right" which not only provides extra detail within the bass but also means it doesn't cloud the rest of the frequency response.

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
I have just the same experience with HD 800S: It is an amazing headphone. I also re-bought it (regretted selling my HD 800)

Last edited:

Womaz

It's a lot easier to get perceived high quality sound from headphones because you're not dealing with room modes and distortion is often times lower, especially in the bass for both cases. But the caveat is that only when you choose a reasonable headphone with good EQ (probably based on Oratory measurements). Good speakers and proper room setup & roomEQ will trump the headphones though. For accuracy in vocals and higher up in the frequency range then good measuring speakers will win every time, but you'd need to choose a good speaker based on Amir's measurements and perhaps add some additional anechoic EQ based on those measurements. In general I find it easier to get higher fidelity from headphones, almost totally down to "getting the bass right" which not only provides extra detail within the bass but also means it doesn't cloud the rest of the frequency response.
I agree with you. I think i go to my headphones now as its just easier to get a really good sound from them.
Since I moved my speakers are maybe a bit too large for my room so I will need to put some work into getting that right for my main rig. Hence lack of time and desire to put the effort into that at this time means I turn to the headphones more.

But yes nothing better than speakers when they work with the room, I will make that my first project when I retire :)

ImageX

First post….

Dan Clark Audio ÆON 2 Noire
Sennheiser HD660S
Sennheiser/Drop HD6XX
Fostex/Drop TH-X00
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audio Technica ATH-M40X

Joramun

Focal Eligia
Bose QuietComfort Earbuds II

DS_Construct

20231013_204708.jpg

DS_Construct

20231013_205110.jpg

Phidel

HP: Sundara 2020, 560s, HD595 and Ananda Nano.
DAC/amp: K5 Pro and K7.

ChrisCables

Audio Company
Nice.
You don't have any issues with the weight/size of that Y-split?
I used to use them on my cables before I realised they were causing disconnection issues, expecially on non-locking 3.5mm headphone connectors. No issue on locking connectors of course but the weight can still be a bit intrusive and I wonder how cables using them will fair over time.

IMG_20230224_001619.jpg

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have the HD545 too. When refurbished it is very similar to HD600, aside from the comfort/fit.
HD565 x11 (I don't know why so many either. Help me :facepalm:)
You probably just want to corner the 2nd market.
Send one to me and I'll review one for you then we know why you have so many of them. :)
I'm just 35km away.

ChrisCables

Audio Company
I have the HD545 too. When refurbished it is very similar to HD600, aside from the comfort/fit.
You may be pleasantly surprised by the HD565 then.
Send one to me and I'll review one for you then we know why you have so many of them. :)
I'm just 35km away.
I couldn't possibly.
My OCD is just far too restrictive to let any of them out of my sight for even a moment. :facepalm:

They come up on MP now and again. That's where 10 of the 11 I own came from.
They always need refurbing however, which can often be hazardous to ones' health if precautions are not taken. All those years of other people's skin, hair and earwax detritus requires a full complement of cleaning apparatus and biohazard PPE ;)

yuk
IMG_20220920_132554.jpg

Ntrax

Audio Company
Nice.
You don't have any issues with the weight/size of that Y-split?
I used to use them on my cables before I realised they were causing disconnection issues, expecially on non-locking 3.5mm headphone connectors. No issue on locking connectors of course but the weight can still be a bit intrusive and I wonder how cables using them will fair over time.

View attachment 318968
So far no issue...I like it very much. I mostly use on my desk. Thanks btw.

Top Bottom