• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

ocelot

My headphones...
  • Soundmagic E10C
  • Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
  • Sony WH-1000XM3
  • beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro
  • Jabra 75t Elite Active
  • TinHiFi T2
  • Sennheiser IE900
My favourites, by far, are the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (wired). Despite others being technically "better", they just sound fantastic to me. Replaced the pads a few days ago but I've not had a proper chance to listen to them.

khensu

My headphones...
  • Soundmagic E10C
  • Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
  • Sony WH-1000XM3
  • beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro
  • Jabra 75t Elite Active
  • TinHiFi T2
  • Sennheiser IE900
My favourites, by far, are the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (wired). Despite others being technically "better", they just sound fantastic to me. Replaced the pads a few days ago but I've not had a proper chance to listen to them.
I get it. I bought my son (who is autistic and nearly blind) the Momentum 4 wireless for Xmas last year, mostly because I thought he'd like the ability to control them by touch. They seemed to have pretty good reviews. I don't know whether he even uses those touch controls, but he does love them. I tried them briefly. They're horrific in passive mode and decent wired, but they do sound very nice when used wirelessly.

SDC

20230727_100623.jpg

Sold all and replaced them with new set.

He6se V2 is great with susvara target eq

Sundara is good enough with nothing

Stealth and Expanse I use SSL Fusion to EQ to taste.

He6se V1 is arriving tomorrow but it is just V2 with different color.

Using pro gear to add distortion and eq...
Real good results I love it. Much better than valve amps... and price is not that bad

Gug

Well damn !

About sundara : not bass dry ? Well I'm curious about it ... but +8 dB on the bass side ... ouch

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
About sundara : not bass dry ? Well I'm curious about it ... but +8 dB on the bass side ... ouch

That's only when aiming for the Harman target at 30Hz. For others +4dB at 30Hz may well be enough and some may even like it 'as is'.

frederf

cans - Sennheiser hd599se, beyerdynamic dt770 & 1990 (modified to dual entry), DCA/drop closed x, audeze lcd2c, verum1 mkII. IEM's - tanchjim tanya & shanling sono.
Why am I doing this ‍♂️ no one will give a shit

Gug

Nop Interested by your opinion about DCA closed X ; audeze lcd2c and verum1 in absolute and in comparasion between each other and DT770 :D
Have you done a post about them ?

Pe8er

Forum Donor
Using pro gear to add distortion and eq...
Real good results I love it. Much better than valve amps... and price is not that bad
Please tell us about the gear underneath, particularly the one with colorful knobs!

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I finally added AKG k371 to my collection, which after a lot of trying had started to get smaller. It just felt like something one should have, for reference.

Very interesting headphone. It's not at all like the Aeon RT which I assumed was already close to the target. Might have something to do with Dekoni pads which were installed when I bought it used.

SDC

Please tell us about the gear underneath, particularly the one with colorful knob
20230802_203513.jpg

It is SSL Fusion, usually found in mastering studio.
Green is vintage drive, it adds even-number harmonics at low drive and soft clipping at high drive.
Violet and pink is low and high shelf filter, great for changing tone to taste.
Orange is HF compressor, I use it when I am listening with extremely high level.
Blue is stereo image tuner, tunes space and width. Great match with headphones.
Lastly transformer simulator which gives highs light sparkle(it says so in the manual).

On top I added SPL stereo vitalizer mk2-t.
Using to add bass some more boom and stereo expander for HRIR. There is good graphs and explanations in the manual but don't use most knobs...
But controling bass, adding tube glow, left-right mixing... that three worth every penny.

creepy crow

One DSP, it has amazing FR, and this original DSP cable should enable 5-band customizable PEQ in the future, most importantly...$28
measurements from my self;)
mmexport1691243826205.png

monotux

New here so here it goes:
  • Sennheiser HD-650, had forever. I got a pair issued when I worked with end-user speech quality measurements in telecom, it performed poorly with our company laptops (also listening to GSM recordings...) but got me hooked. I eventually paired them with a ODAC/O2.
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50X, bought to listen to podcasts while walking to work. Replaced the foam pads with 'memory-foam' and liked them even more.
  • Philips Fidelio X2HR - bought after searching for a new pair of headphones for work. I find them nice and very, very comfortable.
  • For work I also have a pair of Jabra Elite 85h Wireless Over-ear Headset, which are terrible for music but great for remote calls.
When researching what headphones to buy for work I discovered using EQ and the Harman curve. That made me appreciate my old HD-650 even more, and I decided that X2HR (for ~100 USD new) and EQ was going to be more than enough for my needs. And yes, I'm quite happy with this setup!

I'm currently using a FiiO E10 at work, but just bought a used MONOLITH THX AAA-788 for ~100 USD which probably will be more than enough again.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After replacing the Dekoni elite hybrid pads with standard Aeon pads I feel like my RT is a new headphone. The Dekonis came pre-installed when I bough the phones used and boy do they neuter the sound. I'm now thinking the previous owner found this out too and didn't want to put any more money in and got rid of the phones (the pads don't survive removal).

DS_Construct

I have had several and trimmed it down to one open back and one closed back.
Focal Utopia
Focal Stellia

Took my large earphone collection down to one all BA, one hybrid and one single dynamic.
64 Audio U12T
64 Audio Nio
Beyerdynamic Xelento

Last edited:

PabloT

My current gear goes as follows:
Sources:
  1. Windows PC running EQ APO → Topping E30 → THX789​
  2. Qudelix 5K​

HPs:
  1. HD800S​
  2. Aeon 2 Noire​
  3. HD650​

IEMs:
  1. Blessing 2​
  2. ER2XR​
  3. Zero:RED​
  4. Buds2 Pro​
I feel no need to upgrade at all, specially since my gear covers pretty much every possible need and scenario.
This is also due to having a dedicated speaker setup. I would be craving some open back planar if not for this.

Edit: To be honest, de Aeon 2 Noire disappointed me. I was expecting a warmer sound without EQ, and imagined that I would be able to run them without it. In truth however they sound somewhat sharp, and I haven't been able to make them sound what to my ears in neutral like I can with the rest of my gear. I think this is due to narrow peaks in the treble. I have also noticed pretty obvious channel imbalance in the highs, have had trouble with the paint flaking off and the infamous pad deformations. In fairness, I was offered to send them back to be repainted, but couldn't send them at the time.

Last edited:

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pulled the trigger on a mint condition Clear Mgs at -50%. After 30 minutes these seem pretty good and fun phones, couldn't get them to clip even with volume that is double what I would consider tolerable. They didn't measure that well and all that, but I can see why people love these. Also, they look gorgeous live.

DS_Construct

Pulled the trigger on a mint condition Clear Mgs at -50%. After 30 minutes these seem pretty good and fun phones, couldn't get them to clip even with volume that is double what I would consider tolerable. They didn't measure that well and all that, but I can see why people love these. Also, they look gorgeous live.
I had the clear pro mg and I loved it as well.

Jim Creek

I’ve owned my ATH M50X for quite a few years. I replaced ear cups and bought a zip-on covering for the headband. The sound signature of these is not perfect, but I haven’t heard anything else I liked better. Amir’s review of the ATH M50X taught me how to equalize them. Now I get the most out of them. When I have to replace them I’m not sure what I would buy.

qwuzzy

I own a pair of AKG K371s with Brainwavz pads because the stock ones were disintegrating. I've also owned the SHP9500s in the past and I bought my partner a pair of Sennheiser PC37Xs, which are terrible and should be burned.

I listen almost exclusively to Classical music. A lot of orchestral music, and some chamber music. I am a trumpet plaeyer.
HD580 (an old pair)
HD600 (2 pair of these; my favorite)
HD6XX (sparkle removed from the sound; I don't use these)
IE 300 (I use these only when away in portable situations)

Top Bottom