• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I picked them up used at a price I could not resist. Got them about an hour ago. I can tell already they are keepers. My DT1990 Pro’s are going up for sale...
I've got the LCD X. Always wondered what going up the tree sounded like. Enjoy!

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
LCD-X vs LCD-3 vs LCD-2F

all-open-lcd-in-one-plot.png

LCD-X is slightly 'coarser' in the treble and has somewhat more clarity.
The LCD-3 is a bit more laid-back (a LOT more compared to DT1990) and smoother in the treble than LCD2-LCD-X

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Technically my LCD X are XC with metal grilles and attached fabric from the 2 Classic replacing the wood cups. I suspect they are now basically X. Sound good regardless

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got the LCD X. Always wondered what going up the tree sounded like. Enjoy!

I was looking to buy the X after hearing it at the Florida Audio Expo. I got the 3 for the same price. After about 5 songs so far I find the 3 has a quality to the treble that I really like and the bass extension and authority I liked in the X. The detail and clarity on my Topping DX7 Pro is amazing.

Soundstage

Many people refer to HD650 as one of the most dynamic headphone. What do you mean by that and what is the related metric for measurement?

Blujackaal

ER3SE: My main IEM, Massive steal for the price they go for currently. Pretty much a neo ER4PT, Since a 5db high shelf at 6KHz boosts the treble to ER4SR level. The detail/res is pretty much the same.

ER2SE: Very good for a DD IEM, detail wise pretty much 90% close to the ER3/ER4.

Incursio

Have both, like both! Do find the Fostex a bit more of a background music kinda deal though.

Background music for the apocalypse? Sure, makes sense! :D (kidding)

For me, the T60RP is one of the most underrated and best valued headphones out there. It's arguably the best implementation of the Fostex planar driver.

For my listening, it complements the LCD-2Cs nicely. The LCD-2C is 'dark', but not too dark that it sounds 'off' if listened to by itself. It's a complete and 'beautiful' sound signature.

The T60RP, on the other hand, is bright, but not too bright as to sound harsh. Less harsh than the Hifiman HE-560s, based on memory. I can play it really loud and not be bothered by the treble. The reward is much more focus and insight into what say ...Kim Thayil is doing with his guitar in recordings such as Spoonman in Soundgarden Live at the Artist's Den than with the LCD-2C. Lead guitars sound 'crunchier' on the Fostex.

I'd be interested to read @solderdude impressions and measurements on the T60RP (~$300) against the Modhouse Argon (~$250-$290) and the ZMF Ori/Blackwood (~$700-800).

Blujackaal

Background music for the apocalypse? Sure, makes sense! :D (kidding)

For me, the T60RP is one of the most underrated and best valued headphones out there. It's arguably the best implementation of the Fostex planar driver.

For my listening, it complements the LCD-2Cs nicely. The LCD-2C is 'dark', but not too dark that it sounds 'off' if listened to by itself. It's a complete and 'beautiful' sound signature.

The T60RP, on the other hand, is bright, but not too bright as to sound harsh. Less harsh than the Hifiman HE-560s, based on memory. I can play it really loud and not be bothered by the treble. The reward is much more focus and insight into what say ...Kim Thayil is doing with his guitar in recordings such as Spoonman in Soundgarden Live at the Artist's Den than with the LCD-2C. Lead guitars sound 'crunchier' on the Fostex.

I'd be interested to read @solderdude impressions and measurements on the T60RP (~$300) against the Modhouse Argon (~$250-$290) and the ZMF Ori/Blackwood (~$700-800).

Does the T60RP ask for a strong amp?. The T60RP got me very interested since it a 80mm planar headphone, Seem impressive it holds it own to the LCD2C/HE560 which use 90+ drivers.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
T60RP is just a T50RPmk3 but with a wooden enclosure.
Efficiency = 104dB/V (91.5dB/mW) so requires an amp that can provide about 6V (0.8W in 50 Ohm), certainly if you want to EQ the lower bass.
Atom/Heresy are sufficient.

IME the T50RP reacts well to EQ and sounds excellent with EQ.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor

Not gonna buy those (would have to sell them again at a (considerabe loss) so the only way I can measure them if someone sends them in (from Europe only).
The T60RP will measure the same as the T50RPmk3 as it is the same headphone (except wooden enclosure)
The pads on the Argon will certainly have an impact on the sound/measurements

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Never saw/heard/measured one in the wild.

The measurement below (ultrabike, Changstar/SBAF) tells me it is a less bassy T50RP mk2 (with better looks) and may be a tad overpriced.

th500rp_frc111.png

The RP drivers all lack subbass and treble extension and have a 'clarity' dip around 3kHz. This can be EQ'ed and then the RP driver sounds excellent to me.
Also there is quite a lot of driver variance/tolerance issues with RP drivers is what I found having bought and modified quite a few T50RP and T40RP.
I solved this 'problem' by buying 4 or 5 of them, measure them and then swap drivers around that measured most similarish.
One would expect given the price Fostex matched drivers for those but don't know if they did... they should.

The Fostexes are relatively cheap mass products.

Incursio

Not gonna buy those (would have to sell them again at a (considerabe loss) so the only way I can measure them if someone sends them in (from Europe only).
The T60RP will measure the same as the T50RPmk3 as it is the same headphone (except wooden enclosure)
The pads on the Argon will certainly have an impact on the sound/measurements

Would the ZMF Ori/Backwood, Argon, Mayflower, Dekoni Blue (or any one of the other numerous T50RP mods) measure similarly?

They are basically all the same driver. Isn't it the housing, pads, (and I assume) damping material, driver matching (possibly), that differentiates their sound signatures?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Would the ZMF Ori/Backwood, Argon, Mayflower, Dekoni Blue (or any one of the other numerous T50RP mods) measure similarly?

They are basically all the same driver. Isn't it the housing, pads, (and I assume) damping material, driver matching (possibly), that differentiates their sound signatures?
For what it's worth, Z reviews reckons the argons are the best, huge pads huge bass.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Incursio just dug the t60 out. I'll give them some soundgarden tonight. Spoilt for choice is my problem.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor

They certainly won't, in case of the T50RP and T60RP the only difference is the enclosure material.

Driver modifications, damping differences, inner dimension/shape of the cup, pads type, driver-ear distance, will certainly differentiate their sound signatures so they won't sound nor measure the same.

Incursio

They certainly won't, in case of the T50RP and T60RP the only difference is the enclosure material.

Driver modifications, damping differences, inner dimension/shape of the cup, pads type, driver-ear distance, will certainly differentiate their sound signatures so they won't sound nor measure the same.

The pads are also different, actually. I also find it hard to believe that changing from a plastic to wood enclosure will not cause a sound difference.

Assuming that those are the only two differences, we really can't know for sure until someone actually measures them. ;)

I am genuinely curious as to how the T60RPs and the other T50 mods would measure against each other. Not that it would really change the fact that I like my T60s regardless of how it measures. :cool:

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
T50RP:
T50RP.png

measured on the same rig T60RP:
T60RP.png

The T60RP seems to have better treble extension and a different treble peak.
Could be because of different pads (real leather vs pleather for T50RP)
The T50RP mk3 pads also differ from the T50RPmk2 pads.
Maybe someday someone sends one to me to be measured.
The T60RP do have the 'comfort strap' as well.

As a reference measured on the same rig Audeze LCD-3
LCD3.png

The only way to find out how different mod versions sound is by measuring them all on the same rig.

Going from a plastic to wood enclosure may make a small audible difference but won't be visible in measurements.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The pads are also different, actually. I also find it hard to believe that changing from a plastic to wood enclosure will not cause a sound difference.

Going from a plastic to wood enclosure may make a small audible difference but won't be visible in measurements.

As long as the shape and volume of the enclosure are basically the same the differences you are most likely to see would be in the CSD and maybe low frequency distortion.

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
They could be visible in a CSD but certainly not in the FR plot. I reckon some wood resonance (or plastic one) could be visible if the material is very thin and not well damped and resonates longer than the driver itself.

What could be interesting is 'tapping' on the outside of the headphone with a metal rod, record the sound and then analyze FR and time components to see where the material is doing something. Someone probably already did though.
To really make wood 'sound' it would have to be really thin and 'flappy' and not quite thick.

Top Bottom