• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting that you described Susvara as such and that’s even directly A/Bing it with the Utopia 2022. Susvara definitely have that dynamics, impact and fullness to the bass notes. To be honest, I wish I could have both since Utopia is the only dynamic driver headphone that can keep up with a planar in terms of transients without ever sacrificing that unique dynamic driver impact in the attack and decay of notes. My budget only allows for one endgame non e-stat headphone unfortunately

Bow_Wazoo

Yes, that is understandable somewhere.
But nothing, really nothing, that I have ever heard (no high-end planar, or e-stat) sounds as authentic as a magnesium, or beryllium driver from Focal.
When I walk into our piano room,
and hit the keys, it's those drivers that come to mind first!

20230409_082857.jpg

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Well, I own a Sony MDR-7506 and I AM NOT ASHAMED OF IT.

This headphone is ONLY sold in the professional line and is intended for monitoring (not mixing).
It was never meant to be used as a hifi headphone. They have a very different and huge line for music enjoyment and the MDR7506 is not part of that line-up.

The reason you see these used in studios is because they are designed for this usage and work well for that usage.
Just like one sees some other headphones in studios too for certain applications.

The fact that some believe that something that is used in a studio is thus also good for music enjoyment is an incorrect way of thinking. In studios it is used with a specific goal. That is not the same goal as the end product (consumable music).

The fact that some prefer the tonal properties of the MDR7506 over other headphones is just that. Preference.
Nothing to be ashamed off. Most people prefer some extra treble as it gives the impression of 'more detail' and is exactly why it is used in studios.
It can ruthlessly show sibilance and sharpness and can highlight 'details' during monitoring.

Studio headphones are designed for studio usage. Some can be used for music enjoyment, with or without some EQ.

teched58

This headphone is ONLY sold in the professional line and is intended for monitoring (not mixing).
It was never meant to be used as a hifi headphone. They have a very different and huge line for music enjoyment and the MDR7506 is not part of that line-up.

The reason you see these used in studios is because they are designed for this usage and work well for that usage.
Just like one sees some other headphones in studios too for certain applications.

The fact that some believe that something that is used in a studio is thus also good for music enjoyment is an incorrect way of thinking. In studios it is used with a specific goal. That is not the same goal as the end product (consumable music).

The fact that some prefer the tonal properties of the MDR7506 over other headphones is just that. Preference.
Nothing to be ashamed off. Most people prefer some extra treble as it gives the impression of 'more detail' and is exactly why it is used in studios.
It can ruthlessly show sibilance and sharpness and can highlight 'details' during monitoring.

Studio headphones are designed for studio usage. Some can be used for music enjoyment, with or without some EQ.

I mean, I used them for many years in corporate audio/video production, and happily carried them over to personal listening.

One of the biggest advantages of the MDR-7506, which is not to be minimized, is that you can wear them for very long periods of time without feeling like your head is trapped in a vise.

Last edited:

Dimitrie94

Had some Sony wired IEM bought new sometime between 2014-2016, then a Sony MDR-ZX110 - new ( returned in warranty after signal cutting out in one channel - when moving the Y junction of the cable ), then a House of Marley Positive Vibration 2 Wireless - new, then a second-hand Audio-Technica AT-M40fs, now a new JBL Tune 710BT, decided basen on an article on diyaudioheaven blog.
Considering a Shure SRH840, based on crinacle's ranking.

JRR

Dan Clark Aeon RT. I bring them on the road and the carrying case doubles as a cigar humidor.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use K702 mainly. Had stuff from Sennheiser and Beyer as well though I just enjoy the way these make music for me :)
Do you use EQ? (on K702)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh yeah definitely. Tried the EQs you can find online but was not really happy so I adjusted it a bit for myself. Main thing why I keep these is soundstage/imaging.
I do find that K702 has a unique place amoungst my headphones for soundstage, I'll point you to my EQ for K702 if you've not tried it yet - I have 4 units of K702 (as I've been a fan, maybe still a fair bit) and Oratory has measured one of those units - I then measured my 4 units on my miniDSP EARS rig and used a conversion curve from miniDSP EARS to GRAS based on his measurement of my unit (so should be valid) - so my EQ (to Harman Curve) is based theoretically on bonafide measurements of my 4 units of K702 (brighter measurements than Oratory's latest measurements & hence darker EQ's):

nonnyno

I just got the Noire. First planar headphone I've heard that I fully enjoy.
It’s excellent. I don’t. Get most of the complainers on it at all. It was staggeringly close to the stealth imho. The stealth was better but 3k better I wasn’t sure.

Roen

Updated:

Use frequently:
HD800S
PM-3
1000XM5

Use sparingly:
1000XM4
QC45
HD6XX

nonnyno

Used frequently
Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire
Sony 1000XM5 (used for work as they're really comfortable)
Apple Airpods Pro 2

Infrequently (well not at all actually)
Sennheiser HD800's (will probably flog them - they're mint)
Jabra Elite 65T

Have a hankering for:
DCA Stealth
Focal Stellia want to hear and compare with the above
Sennheiser HD 820 want to hear and compare
Audeze LCD-XC

Any other high end closed backs. Silly really as at 54 I'm probably too deaf to tell the difference but what the heck these are toys and its not like I spend money on anything else :->

khensu

Used frequently
Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire
Sony 1000XM5 (used for work as they're really comfortable)
Apple Airpods Pro 2

Infrequently (well not at all actually)
Sennheiser HD800's (will probably flog them - they're mint)
Jabra Elite 65T

Have a hankering for:
DCA Stealth
Focal Stellia want to hear and compare with the above
Sennheiser HD 820 want to hear and compare
Audeze LCD-XC

Any other high end closed backs. Silly really as at 54 I'm probably too deaf to tell the difference but what the heck these are toys and its not like I spend money on anything else :->
I'm also 54, and my hearing seems to be way better than I have any right for it to be. I haven't had it professionally tested, but doing the tone test, I can still hear up to at least 13.5KHz (albeit at somewhat higher than normal listening levels). It was surprising to find that out.

nonnyno

I'm also 54, and my hearing seems to be way better than I have any right for it to be. I haven't had it professionally tested, but doing the tone test, I can still hear up to at least 13.5KHz (albeit at somewhat higher than normal listening levels). It was surprising to find that out.
mine tested online at just a smidge over 15k on a tone test also not professionally tested at normal volumes. I've never abused my hearing but I've definitely lost frequencies. I heard the stealth and could see their was difference but it didn't eem to be much better than the Aeon 2 Noire. I'd like to try it agan though. Likewise the Stellia

khensu

Probably best I never try the Stealth or the Stellia. Buying gratuitous sub-$50 IEMs is something I can get away with. $3000 or more on a pair of headphones, not so much.. lol

nonnyno

Probably best I never try the Stealth or the Stellia. Buying gratuitous sub-$50 IEMs is something I can get away with. $3000 or more on a pair of headphones, not so much.. lol
I actually bought the stealth with the noires and didnt feel there was much in it. They were better but i was struggling with justfiying the price difference. Now i sorta feel like I wish I'd got them. The trouble is it then starts the if I'm going to go there why not try some other expensive headphones first and make it the last purchase. I mean I wouldn't like to make a mistake at that kind of money.

I'd probably be safer with £50 IEMs and splurge to say £70 or £80 and have just as much fun

Top Bottom