• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

D

Deleted member 60987

Well, I own a Sony MDR-7506 and I AM NOT ASHAMED OF IT.
Engineers never badmouth them because they are never far off. Some really expensive ones are, but sound very good. They are a safe bet. And you can bet Dave is singing into a $4-10,000 mike with his $90 headphones. Probably a Neumann U-87. It's hard to tell from than angle.

Attachments

• Dave Grohl Sony MDR7506.jpg
    Dave Grohl Sony MDR7506.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 60

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
That mod might well change the frequency response though, as long as you're happy about that.

My personal frequency response drops to 0 far below any frequency I would expect the mod to affect.

Put a layer of Kleenex (if you're into name brand names) over your ear and see what you can't hear.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen that rising bass slope on a lot of headphones. Some that sound really good because they aren't in the typical range of modern music. Same thing with highs. Those charts often extend well beyond what is actually sitting on the tracks.
Ah, I don't understand what you mean. What rising bass slope, this headphone doesn't have a rising bass slope? And about the range of modern music you mentioned, if that's in reference to the bass then there are plenty of tracks with bass down to 30Hz, even 20Hz, so it's worth having a good bass response in a headphone even down to 20Hz. Also about the range of modern music you mentioned, the highs in modern music go all the way up to 20kHz, cymbals can be up there in the 17Hz+ range I think....certainly when I've watched a spectrum analyser when listening to various tracks then there's stuff happening up there, but the measured frequency response of a headphone in that area is not very predictable, so you'd just use the measured frequency response above 10kHz as a guideline to your general EQ up there, and most of the time you'd be using High Shelf Filters up there to get that measured response into a sensible relationship with the rest of the curve combined with your listening testing (but my comment about the Utopia 2022 frequency response was not really in relation to it's above 10kHz measurement). So basically the whole measured curve from 20Hz-20kHz has value & meaning, and certainly in the bass.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My personal frequency response drops to 0 far below any frequency I would expect the mod to affect.

Put a layer of Kleenex (if you're into name brand names) over your ear and see what you can't hear.
I understand your point. I've not looked into tissue paper mods, but heard about them - have you seen specifically above which frequencies they affect?

D

Deleted member 60987

Ah, I don't understand what you mean. What rising bass slope, this headphone doesn't have a rising bass slope? And about the range of modern music you mentioned, if that's in reference to the bass then there are plenty of tracks with bass down to 30Hz, even 20Hz, so it's worth having a good bass response in a headphone even down to 20Hz. Also about the range of modern music you mentioned, the highs in modern music go all the way up to 20kHz, cymbals can be up there in the 17Hz+ range I think....certainly when I've watched a spectrum analyser when listening to various tracks then there's stuff happening up there, but the measured frequency response of a headphone in that area is not very predictable, so you'd just use the measured frequency response above 10kHz as a guideline to your general EQ up there, and most of the time you'd be using High Shelf Filters up there to get that measured response into a sensible relationship with the rest of the curve combined with your listening testing (but my comment about the Utopia 2022 frequency response was not really in relation to it's above 10kHz measurement). So basically the whole measured curve from 20Hz-20kHz has value & meaning, and certainly in the bass.
This one.

Attachments

• Bass Slope.jpg
    Bass Slope.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This one.
Ah, so you're talking about the rise in the bass of the Harman Target Curve rather than the rise in the bass of the headphone, because the Utopia 2022 does not have a rise in the bass. That rise in the bass of the Harman Target definitely makes a noticeable change to the sound, so it's not beyond the realms of what's included in modern music (that you mentioned), in fact it makes a difference on almost all music. I think it's a positive part of the Harman Target, but not everyone likes their bass hump to be that big, or some like it bigger, some people prefer no bass hump - but according to the research most people prefer the bass hump that you see in the Harman Target there. I prefer either the bass hump of the Harman Target or sometimes 1dB more, but it depends on which headphone I use. But unit to unit variation can mean that sometimes you'll need to dial more (or less) bass depending on which headphones you own, regardless of what target you know you prefer down there.

D

Deleted member 60987

Ah, so you're talking about the rise in the bass of the Harman Target Curve rather than the rise in the bass of the headphone, because the Utopia 2022 does not have a rise in the bass. That rise in the bass of the Harman Target definitely makes a noticeable change to the sound, so it's not beyond the realms of what's included in modern music (that you mentioned), in fact it makes a difference on almost all music. I think it's a positive part of the Harman Target, but not everyone likes their bass hump to be that big, or some like it bigger, some people prefer no bass hump - but according to the research most people prefer the bass hump that you see in the Harman Target there. I prefer either the bass hump of the Harman Target or sometimes 1dB more, but it depends on which headphone I use. But unit to unit variation can mean that sometimes you'll need to dial more (or less) bass depending on which headphones you own, regardless of what target you know you prefer down there.
I stand corrected. I just mean I've seen that pattern and know what these headphones sound like. They aren't bass head headphones, but don't sound bad either.

Attachments

• 0 HeadphoneNeutrality w Shure SRH 440.jpg
    0 HeadphoneNeutrality w Shure SRH 440.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 48

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hmm, I don't think you can really state "The benchmark" when referencing that headphone:
View attachment 281841
Doesn't look ideal to me, I think calling it "The Benchmark" is more than a bit extreme! Ha!
My statement was related to the technical capabilities of the new Utopia.
After having owned almost all TOTL headphones available on the market, I allow myself this judgment.

I know the FR, of course.
For me, the FR, or the tonality, is nothing more than a variable to personalize.
Which, thanks to Oratory, can be done very precisely.
But let me guess, you haven't heard these headphones, of course with personalized FR.

Last edited:

Bernd

Forum Donor
Coming back to the 'Benchmark Headphone' question, in my humble opinion the only headphone on the modern overhead headphone market that can be called 'benchmark/reference' is the Sennheiser HD600 family (HD600, HD650, HD6XX, (whether that applies to IEMs I can't tell, because I never listened to one of those). When they came out, it defined and continues to define what a 'good' headphone should sound like. They are so widespread that quite of lot of people can exchange information about headphones because they had or have one of those Sennheisers as a 'benchmark' or 'reference’. For me the HD6XX is also benchmark for price quality ratio.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I understand your point. I've not looked into tissue paper mods, but heard about them - have you seen specifically above which frequencies they affect?
For practical purposes, I would guess "none". I'll wrap the UMIK-1 and see if anything changes, for grins.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After having owned almost all TOTL headphones available on the market, I allow myself this judgment.

For me, the FR, or the tonality, is nothing more than a variable to personalize.
But let me guess, you haven't heard these headphones, of course with personalized FR.
I think we'll go by the measurements, and I'm not interested in the concept of TOTL headphones in the sense of what that means in the audiophile community - it's a created concept by people that are more swayed by appearance & cost (high price) rather than actual music reproduction capabilities. Your term of "technical capabilities" is kind of meaningless, which is a term that some people use, there's frequency response measurements & distortion measurements, anything coined "technical capabilities" beyond that is pretty meaningless. I'm not saying the Utopia 2022 is a rubbish headphone, I'm just saying it's crazy to call it "The Benchmark", that's ridiculous (& especially because the frequency response is not ideal), and is probably a fundamentally silly thing to say about any headphone anyway. Your last sentence, we don't need those kind of arguments, especially in reference to me calling you out on calling it "The Benchmark".

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For practical purposes, I would guess "none". I'll wrap the UMIK-1 and see if anything changes, for grins.
I'm not certain that wrapping the UMIK is 100% indicative of it's effect within the headphone. I just wondered if you've researched online what the measurement effect is of "tissue paper mods", I'm sure it's been measured, I guess I've not googled it for details because I think it's a pretty crude generally unnecessary thing to do given parametric EQ and or simply buying new headphone pads (after your nine years of use) which would come with the foam discs that you require anyway.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Coming back to the 'Benchmark Headphone' question, in my humble opinion the only headphone on the modern overhead headphone market that can be called 'benchmark/reference' is the Sennheiser HD600 family (HD600, HD650, HD6XX, (whether that applies to IEMs I can't tell, because I never listened to one of those). When they came out, it defined and continues to define what a 'good' headphone should sound like. They are so widespread that quite of lot of people can exchange information about headphones because they had or have one of those Sennheisers as a 'benchmark' or 'reference’. For me the HD6XX is also benchmark for price quality ratio.
That's a pretty sensible & useful angle to look at the phrase "Benchmark Headphone". The point I was pulling Bow_Wazoo up on was him calling a headphone (his Utopia 2022) "The Benchmark", which implies a different thing to the phrase you're using. He's more saying it's the best gold standard by which all headphones will be compared to and bow before....that kind of drama.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not a Hifiman fan, but I really think that the Sundara has overtaken HD600 series as an option most can afford and which provides most of the sound quality that can be had, no matter how much more you spend. If you need more you have crossed the line and gone from headphone listener to headphone hobbyist.

Bernd

Forum Donor
I'm not a Hifiman fan, but I really think that the Sundara has overtaken HD600 series as an option most can afford and which provides most of the sound quality that can be had, no matter how much more you spend. If you need more you have crossed the line and gone from headphone listener to headphone hobbyist.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Have you tried the Susvara? I liked how the Utopia 2022 sounded too but Susvara still sounded better technically at least in pulling the tiniest details out of a recording to me

BTW, Utopia 2022 looks and feels so much more premium than OG model :)

IMG_7901.jpeg

D

Deleted member 60987

A lot. Beyerdynamics DT 770, Sure SRH 440, Audio Technical ATH M40X and M50X, Superlux HD 681, Sony MDR 7506, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, Samson SR850 and Rockville M50. I am selling the ATH M40X because the M50X are better and HD 280 because they are too bassy. Otherwise they are all very good and flat for recording:

It's funny. For years I used K52 for casual listening because they are so comfortable, thinking they sound great. I think all my other headphones sound better now. I even ordered K52 when I saw them on sale for around $30. I can wait till they go up and resell them for $40. Haven't touched the box.

Top Bottom