• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

SlothRock

I live in NYC. Given the proximity of neighbors I can't always use my loudspeakers, so have amassed a decent collection of headphones.

1. Hifiman Sundara
2. Hifiman Ananda BT
3. Focal Stellia
4. Focal Utopia
5. Airpods Max
6. Hifiman Susvara
7. Dan Clark VOCE
8. Audeze CRBN
9. Hifman Shangrila Sr. + matching Hifiman amp. Right now equipped with 4 WE 300Bs (new production, not vintage).

In-Ear:

1. Audeze Isine 20

Happy to answer any questions on the above if people are thinking about them and want opinions.

If you had to reduce to two headphones, which would you choose and why?

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't have much experience with headphones, but these Deva Pro's seem pretty fine to me. Before Hifiman, I had NAD VISO HP70, MEE audio Pinnacle P1, Snab Overtone EP-101M. The tests included the AKG K612 Pro, Sennheiser HD 598, Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition 600Ohm. The Aune E1, RHA MA750i, and the Mee audio Pinnacle P1 remained in the channel, but the differences between them were surprisingly small. Tested on the Shanling M1 audio player.

Attachments

• 20220622_204236.jpg
    20220622_204236.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Jomungur

There are no "Best" headphones for listening to music! I have listened to Stax headphones since the early 90’s. I currently have the 009’s. I love the electrostatic sound for its quick, clear transparent sound. It truly sounds like a window on the soundstage. I wanted a more intimate sound so I bought a pair of Audeze LCD-XC, and a McIntosh MHA 100 to drive them. The Audeze are incredibly comfortable (albeit heavy) and it would be hard not to like them. The sound is powerful and dynamic but I miss the transparency of the Stax phones, so I move between them.

Could I find a better sound if I spent more money? Maybe. You didn’t mention your budget, but I suspect it’s not unlimited. Jim’s comment above indicates that he loves his Sennheisers, and I’m sure they are great as well. My advice would be to settle on a budget and audition as many as you can. Find a pair that you like, and can live with long term. If you constantly chase different, more expensive headphones it will get expensive. When these lockdowns end, try to attend a Hi-Fi show. They all seem to feature a demonstration room for headphones. Believe me, you will find a pair that you like and an amplifier to drive them. I recommend a tube amp. Good luck in your search.
Agreed that there are no "best" headphones. Actually, there are no "best" speakers either. At the top end, my experience is that there are some differences in quality, but they all sound quite nice. The main difference is their sonic signatures.

The mistake I made was chasing the perfect sound. This led to a lot of wasted money and also took away from the enjoyment of my systems because I kept listening for flaws. Sometimes when I A/Bed different systems for awhile on various tracks it reminded me of those optometrist exams where they keep switching lenses and ask you which one is less blurry. Eventually you just tire out!

At times I thought perfect sound could be measured by transparency, i.e. fidelity to the recording. However, I've changed my view. I don't think perfect transparency is possible, really, or even the point. I see the listener and his/her choice of audio equipment as something that brings something out of the recording actively rather than just a passive window into the music. Kind of like DSP, I suppose. Some setups (e.g. some tube amps) add a lot of color to the sound, which isn't transparent at all, but can actually sound more pleasing to the ear than perhaps even what the artist intended. If you can afford it, you might enjoy listening to the same track with different speakers, at different times, almost like changing wine pairings. This is a lot easier to do with headphones, of course.

Last edited:

Jomungur

If you had to reduce to two headphones, which would you choose and why?
The Shangrila and the Airpods Max. I'm just really happy with the Shangrila, it's my main set for listening. It's overpriced, sure, but I haven't found a better sounding headphone. I think it's better than the Susvara which is already excellent. (I haven't tried the newest Stax model). The 300B tube set up works well with the electrostatic sound. Very comfortable too; that's often underestimated in this area. Downsides besides the price is it's not portable at all and the amp generates a lot of heat so you need a cold climate or air conditioning. If you like the Hifiman sound signature on their higher end headphones, you'll love it.

The Airpods Max because it's just so convenient. It works well, even with Android and Windows, although of course it's most seamless with Apple devices. It has the best balance between portability, sound and convenience that I've found. The sound is good (we're quite spoiled these days actually, this quality of sound in portable headphones would be considered miraculous just a couple of decades ago), and the mic is very good. When you're travelling and listening to music, the noise cancellation outweighs the pure audio benefits of a higher quality headphones. The transparency mode is also great if you want to walk outside and listen to nature, etc. while you listen. I think from a pure BT audio perspective, the Hifiman Ananda BT is better but it doesn't have noise cancellation and is an open headphone system. It also looks, umm...well, you might stand out a bit if you're travelling. On the other hand, you can listen to the Ananda wired if you like. I would not recommend the Stellia for a high end travel pair, it sounds very nice but it doesn't seal outside noise well. I would categorize it as semi-closed, not closed.

Last edited:

Wegi76

I live in NYC. Given the proximity of neighbors I can't always use my loudspeakers, so have amassed a decent collection of headphones.

1. Hifiman Sundara
2. Hifiman Ananda BT
3. Focal Stellia
4. Focal Utopia
5. Airpods Max
6. Hifiman Susvara
7. Dan Clark VOCE
8. Audeze CRBN
9. Hifman Shangrila Sr. + matching Hifiman amp. Right now equipped with 4 WE 300Bs (new production, not vintage).

In-Ear:

1. Audeze Isine 20

Happy to answer any questions on the above if people are thinking about them and want opinions.

Impressive! Do you have a favorite and why?

Vitali

Can you write something more about these Neumann?

wacomme

Here is my history. It's more information than asked for, but the history informed the headphone choices I made. I have COVID and have been isolated to my spare bedroom/home office (my wife does not have COVID) - great time to explore new Jazz and Classical music in between sleeping a lot - sorry for the mess in the photos (just starting to get my energy back).

Before I started on my recent headphone journey I had:
  1. Koss KSC75 - nice for sporting activities (hiking, etc.) and very cheap. Sound is great for what they are, but I think newer iems are better.
  2. Etymotic ER4S/P - I used these mostly for travel. Great on airplanes. However, no matter what eartips I've tried - last attempt will be spinfit 100's - they are not comfortable. If the Spinfits don't work I'll sell the ER4S/P. Nice sound.
  3. Home Speakers: Audioengine A5 (old model) in the living room connected to an Audioengine B1 (bluetooth) receiver. These speakers are seldom used. In my spare bedroom/home office I have the Audioengine A2 (old model). I had a lot ground interference (speakers do not have a balanced connection), but I plugged all of my desk electronics into one power strip and so far the problem is solved. I'm somewhat looking for better desktop speakers (nearfield) - the A2's are great for their size, but I'd love to have better sound. I currently have my eye on the Emotiva B1 passive speakers, but they're a little big for my desk - and I'd need to add an amp (likely Topping PA3s). It's probably too much for my small desk. I'm also eyeing the iLoud MTM monitors. Their size is good and they have balanced connections, but their price is more than I want to spend.
Once I took the dive into headphones and this website, here's what I've done:
  1. Sundara. Matched with the Topping DX3 Pro. I love the sound. I EQ on my Macbook Air (M1) with SoundSource. These are my favorite headphones. I now have Hart Cables for them, as well as an interconnect extension from my desk to bed - see photo. I've been listening to them a lot these last few days dozing in bed. I also tried out several dac/amps. I ended up returning the DX3Pro, wanting balanced output, and bought the DX5. It was ok, but something about it I just didn't like. I ended up with separates - SMSL DO 100 and the Topping L50. I love that combo.
  2. Sennheiser HD560S. I use these headphones at work (mostly). At first I thought they were ok sound-wise, but the more I use them the better I like the sound. I still prefer the Sundara's, but it's close. The fit for the Sundara's and the 560S's are quite different. I have a small head. The Sundara's sort of swim on my head while the 560S's clamp a bit too tightly. Comfort for both is good, but not great. I know either headphone is on my head; neither headphone feels a part of me and fades away. I bought a balanced cable for the 560S to use with my Qudelix 5K. The Q5K is fantastic, though the learning curve to use the thing was immense - I almost returned it and planned to re-buy the Hidizs S9 Pro (better amp/dac dongle than the Q5K, but it doesn't have EQ like the Q5K). I use the Q5K for listening on my iPhone 11 (either BT or connected with an Apple camera adapter cord). I also use the Q5K at work connected to a PC with Windows 10. My family uses Apple Music, but Apple Music is blocked at work. For some reason I can get Tidal at work (for now), so I'm currently using Tidal. The Q5K software is blocked at work (cannot install), so I'm using Equalizer APO. I'm still trying to get Equalizer APO to work. I've got one channel (setting) to work (I think), but it's a work in progress. I would love to bypass my work PC and restricted internet at work. I can certainly use my iPhone (cellular data), but I'm seeking a more elegant solution.
  3. 7Hz Timeless. I love the sound and the fit is good. However, they're too fragile for use outdoors for hiking and climbing the Manitou Incline. Until I start traveling again I'm returning them. Basically, I have no place to use them right now.
  4. Moondrop Aria. Nice, but the Timeless was much better. I returned the Aria's. They are much heavier than the Timeless.
  5. Moondrop Blessing 2 (not Dusk). On par with the Timeless, and probably a little better sounding. Surprising, they fit my ears. However, like the Timeless, I'm returning them for lack of need. When I start traveling again and need good sounding iems, I will buy the Dusks unless some new, better sounding iem is produced at a similar price/performance standpoint. While heavier than the Timeless, the Blessing 2's fit my ears well - similar comfort.
  6. Moondrop Chu. Super inexpensive and the sound is much better than expected. I will use these for hiking and outdoor activities. I hope they hold up. The eartips work well and the fit is nice.
  7. Shure SE215. I hate them. I bought them for sleeping. Instead of earplugs (my wife snores), I thought I could fall asleep with isolating iems and sleep inducing music. The SE215's were touted as comfortable and flush with the ear. For me, they stuck out and were quite uncomfortable. Also, even with EQ, the sound was horrible. They are being returned.
  8. Beyerdynamic Soul BRYD. I bought these for sleeping. They will arrive tomorrow. I hope they fit, don't stick out of my ears, and sound nice (with EQ).

Attachments

• IMG_4030.jpeg
    IMG_4030.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_4028.jpeg
    IMG_4028.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4027.jpeg
    IMG_4027.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4031.jpeg
    IMG_4031.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

Jomungur

Did you listen to Dan Clark Stealth?
Hi, no I haven't. Amir's review seemed very impressive, though.

I have listened to the Sennheiser HE 1 (at the Sennheiser store pre-COVID, but it was time limited and the tracks were preselected) and the Abyss 1266. I prefer the Shangrila to both. I haven't listened to the Stax SR-009s or the Raal ribbon phones. I haven't listened to any new headphones that were released after last September, actually, which is when I received the Shangrilas.

I think headphones are a more subjective taste than loudspeakers. Maybe because even things like your head circumference makes a difference? I don't even know how to blind test headphones, because they each feel different on your head.

Another note about headphones, they all seem to have their own sweet spots and in many of them positioning is crucial. I have to think this alone accounts for a lot of variability in reviews.

Jomungur

I just got the Susvara's in tonight. They are blowing away anything and everything I've listened to previously.
They are amazing, I agree. What amp are you using to drive them? For me, they were so power hungry that upgrading my amp made a noticeable difference.

04gto

Thank you! I’m using the Ferrum OOR - it’s pricey but it measures very, very well and has plenty of juice for the Susvara as well
I have heard the Susvara on the OOR. It is a great combination. No coloration. Just the music. The female vocals in particular with this combination are the best I have heard. So good.

Jomungur

Impressive! Do you have a favorite and why?
The Shangrilas are my favorite. This is anecdotal, but when my friends who have heard it (about 5-6) prefer it as well to at least the Voce, CRBN, Utopia and Susvara. Granted, the system looks impressive so there's probably some bias there.

Just want to add what I wouldn't recommend.

- I wouldn't recommend the Hifiman Ananda BT. Quite good sound for Bluetooth, but that's like saying it's the tallest skyscraper in Nebraska. Too pricey for too few features. Build quality feels cheap. Open back design makes it not useful for most situations where you'd want Bluetooth sound. Only go for it if you like the Hifiman sound and are in the unusual situation of wanting to listen critically to music in a quiet environment but can only do it wirelessly.

- I wouldn't recommend the Focal Stellia. Overpriced; you can get better sound for less. And there are better sounding closed back headphones if you need those that have better seal.

- I wouldn't recommend the Focal Utopia. There was a time when I was very pleased with it, but there's better sounding headphones at below that price range or below. Clamping pressure can become uncomfortable during long periods of listening. They look fantastic, though. I believe the version that is studded with diamonds is the most expensive set of headphones ever.

- I wouldn't recommend the Audeze Isines. I wanted to check out a planar magnetic in-ear design, but the sound isn't worth the premium for that. You also will look strange.

- The VOCE is very nice. But it's like an electrostatic headphone that is trying to sound like it's not, it sacrifices transparency for warmth. You will get better sound going with one of Dan Clark's planar headphones, and without having to have an energizer to boot.

- The CRBN was disappointing for me. It sounds good, but for not for that price point. There was some smearing of the soundstage for me on some tracks between the left and right channels. I bought into the hype of the carbon nanotubes or whatever they use. It looks beautiful, though, almost like onyx jewelry. I got one of the first production runs when they were made available, perhaps it's gotten better.

If you're visiting NYC, there's a few stores that have an impressive variety of headphones at all price ranges. They'll usually let you listen at your leisure and using your own tracks to try them out.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
A few weeks ago I got the Beyerdynamic DT-1990 that is an open back to replace my DT-880 Edition 250 Ohm, and it does sound much better and fuller in the upper-bass and down. No surprise there given the available measurements, and is major reason I bought it in the first place. I do have the DT-1770, a closed back, but that one sounds worse to me and is relegated to monitoring during video calls where it shines. With ADI-2 DAC FS I've levelled the 8K Hz a bit for both of them.

rollypolly20

I think I mentioned before, but my studio headphones are Beyerdynamic DT-150
For general listening while walking or travelling it would be my Beats.
But the Beats are very heavy for running, so when I run I use these Bluetooth Earbuds , which are comfortable, but admittedly the bass wouldn't be as good as the beats, but they do the job. But might invest in something more expensive but light weight down the line.

deniall83

Out of curiosity, if you guys could only have one headphone, what would you choose? Let's rule out things like the HE-1 as that's not a realistic option for most people.

For me, it'd have to tick all the boxes. Build quality, comfort and balanced sound suitable for all genres. Possibly HD600 or Focal Clear.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still have love for my very first "audiophile headphone" since 2013 as a soundstage junkie. As of this writing, yes, this is still my only OE headphone since I use IEMs as my main. Also, my very first planar Aeon X Open is arriving in a few days :)

El Capitan Wallpaper.jpg

Top Bottom