• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Truth32

I have Sennheiser HD800S and AKG N5005, use Focusrite Scarlett Solo to drive them currently.
And bought Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X and HIFIMAN HE6SE v2 these days, they are still on the way.
Also I bought a TOPPING DX3 pro+ for drive HE6SE v2 few days ago.
Hope the DX3 Pro+ have enough power to drive it...

04gto

I have Sennheiser HD800S and AKG N5005, use Focusrite Scarlett Solo to drive them currently.
And bought Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X and HIFIMAN HE6SE v2 these days, they are still on the way.
Also I bought a TOPPING DX3 pro+ for drive HE6SE v2 few days ago.
Hope the DX3 Pro+ have enough power to drive it...
RE- DX3 PRO+ & HE6SE: It will 'make sound' on the HE6SE but if you have any quiet or low volume recordings it may not do the trick. Also if you listen at louder volumes (82db+) at all or use EQ, the DX3 PRO+ will not come close. The HE6SE is almost as power hungry as the Susvara.

Edit: According to the review here by @amirm, the DX3 PRO+ plus is not a good match for lower impedance headphones- "Clips at 50 & 32 ohms" and "Goes into protection <= 20 ohms".

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have AKG K601s, which I chose because they have a relatively flat response. I use them as a sanity check for speaker voicing. I also own some LCD-2s, but they are perhaps a bit "dark" sounding to me.

Wicky

Apple AirPods (3rd Gen.) : Commuting, sports, listening while doing other stuff
Moondrop Aira : At work, in the office (or when the house is noisy)
Sennheiser HD660S : Listening to music at home, usually sat at my desk
B&W P5 Wireless : (Old) previously filled the HD660S use-case, but keeping as still used on long journeys, away travelling etc...

Truth32

RE- DX3 PRO+ & HE6SE: It will 'make sound' on the HE6SE but if you have any quiet or low volume recordings it may not do the trick. Also if you listen at louder volumes (82db+) at all or use EQ, the DX3 PRO+ will not come close. The HE6SE is almost as power hungry as the Susvara.

Edit: According to the review here by @amirm, the DX3 PRO+ plus is not a good match for lower impedance headphones- "Clips at 50 & 32 ohms" and "Goes into protection <= 20 ohms".
i think i could test HE6SE v2 that have enough volume to me at first when i receive it.
If it's low volume to me, i might consider buy a TOPPING L30 II to drive it.

Thank you!

txbdan

I finally got my first pair of real headphones - HD6xx. I'm driving them with an RME ADI-2 DAC and I think they sound great. I'm using the Oratory1990 RME EQ settings on the DAC itself. I'm also finding I need a little crossfade as I think the channel isolation and hard panning wears my brain out or something. Sound quality is great, seems very clear, accurate, well balanced, and just generally pleasant. Similar to my Dirac'ed Genelecs.

Congrats on your new hps!!!
I use a touch of crossfade on my RME also. A setting of one or 2 makes an enjoyable difference in the wrap around of the soundstage...

Not to mention how handy the onboard eq is!

neptune134

Headphones:
Sennheiser 6XXX
HiFi Man 400i
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro
ATH M50X

Out of all these I enjoy the Beyerdynamic the best. The soundstage is incredible and the instrument separation is immaculate.

IEM’s:
Shure 846
Sennheiser 800s
Campfire Andromeda pre 2018
BGVP DMG
KZ AS10
Tin Hi Fi T3 Plus
BMaster BASN
KZ ZEX
KZ ZEX Pro

The Campfire Andromeda pre 2018 are the best I’ve ever heard. When people talk about sub $1000 iem’s, the Andromeda are the leaders of the pack compared to what I’ve heard. I look forward to listening to the Thieaudio Monarch II, but also afraid of entering the realm of hobbyist enthusiast chasing diminishing returns for barely noticeable upgrades/improvements. But of course, owning the above, you can say I’ve probably reached that point. When I bought the Fiio Q5s with THX and the Monolith Monoprice AAA THX portable within the span of 2 months, I realized I crossed that line long ago.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
7 HzTimeless and Dunu Vulkan, had the Timeless for a couple of months and love them, really do and my AirPods Pro/Max haven’t really been used at all, so naturally being perfectly satisfied with the Timeless I wanted to try something else :facepalm: so got the new Dunu Vulkan 6 driver iem with dual 8mm stacked drivers and 4 armatures, first few days I was massively underwhelmed with the bass response and overall sound despite trying at least 6 different tips. I think the problem is that the bore extension is rather short yet the iem itself is a rather chunky monkey so getting a good seal in my ear canal with standard tips was problematic and the iem often felt loose. Finally tried a couple of silicone tips that resemble the shape of foam comply tips and wow, that’s it!. Very solid sub bass that I was looking for and there’s absolutely no chance the Vulkans can pop out or work loose as the longer nozzle provides ample support in my ear canal, not as good as my 7hz Timeless for overall resolution, more so with vocals as I’d say the Timeless is a better all rounder but the Vulkans are so good for a listen to sub bass focused techno/electronic music yet also surprisingly good with synth pop such as chvrches.

Whats next?, I’d like to try a Thieaudio Monarch but I really don’t like their stupid 2.5 balanced jack that needs a long 3.5mm adapter, I’d probably buy a Dunu Venom cable to replace it as it’s similar to my Vulkan cable with the modular jack plug, but then I’m almost into Monarch mk2 pricing so I dunno?, and I want to try a Dan Clark Noire - a baby stealth?, or the new Thieaudio Wraith planer as it looks good and im sure the tuning will be spot on.

52238448275_6c12a7b1e7_h.jpg

52252132063_48c0d1e3d5_h.jpg

52251141967_8e88df5d8d_h.jpg

Hey there Soma, you are well on your way dude!!!:eek::cool::) I like your selection and your thinking!
I am a lover of DCA hps, I have a Drop Aeon Closed X, and my daughter has a Noire. I you like the planar speed of attack on your Timeless, one of them might be your jam.
Enjoy your tunes!!!

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Trying the original Audeze LCD-2 for the first time was among the most transformative audio experiences of my life. Could never afford it as a teenager and the Fazor controversy spooks me, and I don't see much sense paying through the nose for pre-Fazor woodie LCD-2s. But I have hankered for the ruler-flat bass and lower midrange with vanishingly low distortion for the longest time, and it could only be the LCD-2Cs. So I just had to buy an LCD-2C when a careful owner put one up for sale with a new headband and fresh pads for $350 locally.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Smells like mothballs, but I'll take it; at least it means the previous owner is taking care of it. Lost money on a DCA Ether CX a few months back because it was in a horrid condition, the owner of that used it in 90+% humidity tropical conditions so the headphones had this horrendous smell of dank turmeric and sweat that no amount of isopropyl would remove.

mrjayviper

bought focal clear pros OG and Sony Z1Rs last week.
bought a Shure 1540 a month ago
had my Denon D7K for a long time (need a headband change. need to head to a leather shop and ask what can they do for me)

CanisDirus

Etymotic Research ER3XR

TinHiFi T3

Sony 7506 (of course)

Harmonicdyne Poseidon

I don't collect headphones. One set IEM's is for monitoring...one set for musicality...and same with full cans...and that's it.

jpanda

Hi all,

I am a new member from France and I am happy to have discovered and joined ASR.
My headphones:
- Grado SR325 (the old model + G cushions)
- Fostex T60RP
- Aeon Noire (best sounding IMO)
- And one IEM: iBasso it00