• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What does Trinnov do that others don’t?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Trinnov has discussed their new bass management software. It is somewhat a step beyond Dirac Live Bass Control albeit a different approach and requires multiple subs (six presented; they are working on a solution using fewer subs). For integrating multiple subs other than using the basic Optimizer, the solutions seem to be the same as for many other processors: use a miniDSP and MSO or Harman SFM, or something like a DSpeaker's Anti-Mode device.

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't know if anyone else has shared this but here's a comparison of the Anthem AVM90 and the Trinnov. You can hear the difference for yourself.

It's why we're hoping that the Sony ES can replicate the Trinnov's spatial processing at a fraction of the price.

songOVERsound

Just impossible to say, my experience for what it is worth is that the contemporary active designs ( and there still aren’t many) constant directivity, cardioid, full range built in peq etc etc
Just work better in every domestic and even partially treated room , they are just more transparent the better the measurements the more transparent, which is why I just don’t bother with traditional passive designs although some like KEF measure well.
Keith
My issue with the D&D 8C is that for my situation (short ceilings) now you’re putting you woofers in the acoustic null being the midpoint between floor and ceiling. Although the subs loaded against the front wall may be able to pressurize past through that null, it seems like a messy solution - but effective for retaining a bookshelf size speaker. Brilliant in that regard. I wish that more speakers just focused on only dealing with 100 hz (or so) and up at a good and proper full cardioid performance like the sigberg Manta, but now you can’t place up to the front wall to maximize space.

The GGNTKT M1 is closest in my opinion to getting it right (for me..) and the CDM65 isn’t cardioid enough to risk trying

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There are always going to be cancellations and reinforcements at various frequencies depending on the dimensions of your room.
Only massive passive absorption will cure the problem.
Keith

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are always going to be cancellations and reinforcements at various frequencies depending on the dimensions of your room.
Keith
Or using speakers with active cancellation like Dirac Art or the what Trinnov is working on with their solution.

songOVERsound

Keith
In my case, I already have massive absorption in place. Well… for what I can fit in my room

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Or using speakers with active cancellation like Dirac Art or the what Trinnov is working on with their solution.
Yes there are various methods , resonators , membrane traps, PSI AVAAs I have tried them all and they do work but you need a lot of them .
Keith

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes there are various methods , resonators , membrane traps, PSI AVAAs I have tried them all and they do work but you need a lot of them .
Keith
Dirac ART will do this with your existing speakers, and Trinnov is releasing something using a similiar concept with subwoofers. Neither has been released yet.

Ciobi69

And art from Dirac it's going to very expensive pre/processor, and in some '''cheaper'" option in the future like maybe the JBL pre amplifier that it's like 5k...

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And art from Dirac it's going to very expensive pre/processor, and in some '''cheaper'" option in the future like maybe the JBL pre amplifier that it's like 5k...
Too soon to know for sure what products it will be on. But it is certainly possible for Arcam/JBL, Denon/Marantz, or Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra products. The next 12-18 months will be interesting to see which vendors decide to implement it and on which of their products.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
My issue with the D&D 8C is that for my situation (short ceilings) now you’re putting you woofers in the acoustic null being the midpoint between floor and ceiling. Although the subs loaded against the front wall may be able to pressurize past through that null, it seems like a messy solution - but effective for retaining a bookshelf size speaker. Brilliant in that regard. I wish that more speakers just focused on only dealing with 100 hz (or so) and up at a good and proper full cardioid performance like the sigberg Manta, but now you can’t place up to the front wall to maximize space.

The GGNTKT M1 is closest in my opinion to getting it right (for me..) and the CDM65 isn’t cardioid enough to risk trying
Not sure I understood you correctly here, but the Manta is indeed designed to be placed close to the front wall.

alaios

Hello all,
I have heard that trinnov has very unique characteristic that areally hard to find in market. This is something that sounds a bit unrealistic to me. If you have some nice features and you are succesfful in selling, your competitors will very soon adapt.
So what do you think models like the Trinnov st2 offer and what about their competitors. Can just a dsp module do what the trinnov can do?
Regards,
Alex

alaios

Trinnov can spatially remap speakers so they sound like they're in different locations than they actually are, and it apparently actually works, which is not something I've ever heard of anyone else even attempting to get right. So that's pretty cool.

I believe Trinnov's 3D mic, in addition to showing precise spatial locations of all speakers, can also separately measure speaker direct and first reflection sound and show them to you separately. That's quite useful because while you can sorta do this with REW and windowing, it takes some trial and error and guesswork.

Yeah, kind of surprised about this, but Trinnov has so much manual control I'm sure you could use MSO and just punch the filters and delay in.
can this improve staging?

alaios

The most significant difference between Trinnov and other processors IMO is its ability to measure the exact position of each speaker in your room using its 3D microphone and remap content to your speaker layout. Processors from the likes of Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc. and even high-end processors like Storm and Audio Control can only measure distance. Trinnov measures distance as well as angle in both the horizontal and vertical domain. If your speakers are not placed perfectly in the room at reference angles, content will not be rendered correctly on other receivers. The Trinnov can render content in a way optimized for your less-than-ideal speaker layout. For most of us with rooms that prevent us from putting speakers perfectly at reference angles this makes a huge difference for immersion and accuracy.

Interestingly enough, the Trinnov does not have anything equivalent to Dirac Live Bass Control. It will measure each sub in your room and apply delays and filters as necessary, but it won't integrate them as a single source and phase align them with the mains like Dirac can do.
what about minidsp products?

emme

not many people have tried all dsp solutions and compared them . most people are opinionated though .

here is a video where some interesting features of trinnov were expressed that I found helpful :

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I was told by Trinnov that the unit was developed to enable an engineer to re-create his room acoustic in another room, it is capable and when we imported them there wasn’t a lot else around, for the ‘pro’ world it might fulfil a purpose but for domestic reproduction I am not sure it offers anything over PEQ in JRiver. Roon etc.
Keith

emme

I was told by Trinnov that the unit was developed to enable an engineer to re-create his room acoustic in another room, it is capable and when we imported them there wasn’t a lot else around, for the ‘pro’ world it might fulfil a purpose but for domestic reproduction I am not sure it offers anything over PEQ in JRiver. Roon etc.
Keith
The st2 was developed over 10 years ago and the original purpose might have been as you mentioned but I think it is safe to assume that Trinnov developed their software in the last 10 years and that it now likely exceeds that purpose . the software is not the same as it was 10 years ago . although i would suggest the nova as the latest model . the interface of the nova is definitely a progression from the st2 .

Top Bottom