• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what do people think about the "Klipsch sound" ?

graz_lag

Major Contributor
My plumber has just seen the article review ... he's so impressed I cannot stop him asking whether he can try the little FX-Audio D802 with his latest DIYs :

1543946479541.png

Last edited:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Steve, well he's really about easy reading and relaxing. I'm not sure if he really cares about the sound quality much, if at all.......

This is objectively not true. His C/Net articles are aimed at the mainstream but his Youtube channel runs the gamut and includes extremely expensive high end gear. He started in the industry over 40 years ago selling in one of Manhattan's ultra high end boutiques. His home listening room is treated and has non-parallel walls. Here is Stereophile's video of his system. This is not the bio of someone who does not care about sound quality much if at all.

Like any good journalist/reporter/salesperson...he tailors his pitch to his audience...and for C/Net that is mainstream not audiophile.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Like any good journalist/reporter/salesperson...he tailors his pitch to his audience...and for C/Net that is mainstream not audiophile.
Well it's good somebody out there likes him! I found his reviews to be more easy reading style, not a whole lot of substance to it.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well it's good somebody out there likes him!.....

I do not particularly like him! In my original post I questioned his statement that one should never hook expensive speakers to expensive amps. That's wrong I think.

The fault I admit is being far too sensitive to posts that without fact jump right to impugning someone's knowledge, motivation, and mindset because we do not agree.

There is a lot of that going around these days and it is driving me nuts. I am not questioning your motives or mindset, but what you said was incorrect and hit that nerve.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I do not particularly like him! In my original post I questioned his statement that one should never hook expensive speakers to expensive amps. That's wrong I think.

The fault I admit is being far too sensitive to posts that without fact jump right to impugning someone's knowledge, motivation, and mindset because we do not agree.

There is a lot of that going around these days and it is driving me nuts. I am not questioning your motives or mindset, but what you said was incorrect and hit that nerve.
I gotcha. Sorry about that. Not trying to step on toes here!
I think Steve would look at me and be like
the-dude.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Ellisr63

As I understand it, back when Paul was alive, Klipsch identified several characteristics that they said differentiated them from competitive speakers:
- High Efficiency,
- Low Distortion,
- High Dynamic Range, and
- Controlled (Limited) Dispersion.
These attributes were synergistic and related to the horn & bass reflex design. Highly efficient speakers are easy to drive, they create high output with relatively low cone motion which lowers distortion...all of which helps increase dynamic range to levels that can mimic a live performance. Finally, controlled dispersion lessens the impact of the room on imaging & delay. That is the story they told.

Flat frequency response while probably a goal was not listed as being a differentiator. There are of course problems with this. Horns can impact sound in unintended ways. But many highly respected manufacturers of studio monitors incorporate them, so presumably some of the issues can be overcome.

Do they sound different to me, Certainly. The big Klipsch similar speakers like Altec Lansing V.O.T. can create an impact that is unlike others I have heard.

The biggest issues for me were - 1. (This has been mentioned) I did tend to listen louder which causes fatigue...though it is hard to fault Klipsch for that, and 2. Flatness of frequency response did not match competitors. I do not know if this was designed in to impress in showrooms, but it was there.

So Question: If you are setting up a home theater - the AV receiver's auto-correlation process would supposedly handle timbre abnormalities. So are they a great choice for equalized systems?
I had my room setup with Dirac, and they sounded even better!

Ellisr63

Their pro horns for cinema installs are more about neutrality, flat frequency response on axis and constant directivity.

The K-402 is the absolute best sounding horn I have ever heard. Besides the truly impressive dynamics I wouldn't know I was listening to a horn.
I hope to soon have 3 of the 402 horns in my HT.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Ellisr63

Sounds like a interesting project, would love to hear it.
I wish that was possible, but we tore down the soundproof treated room, sold most of the equipment, and the house.

The new build will have the k402 horns which will me modded to synergy style horns though, and eventually Dirac tuned along with acoustic panels in a much larger room. The room is extremely reflective though.

garyrc

In our treated listening room/home theater, with Audyssey Flat, I love what has been called "the Klipsch sound." It is provided by two Klipschorn AK4s, with a modified Belle Klipsch center channel, and two Heresy II surrounds and a 15" RSW15 subwoofer, crossing over at 40 Hz, to allow the vigorous Khorns produce clean, fast bass from 40 Hz on up. To me, it is very natural sounding, and reminds me of the sound of the orchestras I've played in and heard from the audience.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In our treated listening room/home theater, with Audyssey Flat, I love what has been called "the Klipsch sound." It is provided by two Klipschorn AK4s, with a modified Belle Klipsch center channel, and two Heresy II surrounds and a 15" RSW15 subwoofer, crossing over at 40 Hz, to allow the vigorous Khorns produce clean, fast bass from 40 Hz on up. To me, it is very natural sounding, and reminds me of the sound of the orchestras I've played in and heard from the audience.
Talk about a dynamic HT, damn I'm sure that system kicks butt.
FYI, I think you need 2 of those subs, maybe even 4 if there's room. ;)

Eggs Ackley

I've been listening to nothing but Klipsch for 45 years so my opinion is so biased as to be useless.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Dal1as

Not sure if it's a myth or just done sporadically. I have listened to numerous Klipsch speakers and many sound very different. Most of the cheap ones like that Synergy line are bright and in your face. I currently have the Reference rf83/64/62 7.1 system and the RF-83s are more neutral and sound better than the Paradigm Signature S8 system I tried.

One thing for sure I have noticed is compression drivers and horns need room to breathe. They aren't for near field.

Last edited:

garyrc

Curious as to what mod's you made to your Belle's ?
We tried substituting a longer K401 midrange horn for the shorter horn that they provide in the Belle. The K401 is now standard in the Klipschorn, and it is what our Khorns have, so we decided to match them in our center channel Belle. At that time (just before discontinuing the Belle) they used the same crossover point as in the Klipschorn -- but the slopes were unknown (to us). The substitution required a new top hat, which we built, with the rear of the new mid horn and the mid driver extending farther to the rear. The whole rebuilt Belle was embedded in the wall, into a bump-out which extended beyond and through the wall on the other side, with the front of the Belle flush mounted with the wall. We used no grille cloth on the Belle itself, but the whole wall is covered with acoustically transparent cloth. For music, it looks like we are using just the Khorns, but in reality we are usually using all three front speakers, a la Paul Klipsch's "Wide Stage Stereo. For movies, there is an acoustically transparent, 130" true width, 2.35:1 Seymour projection screen that is lowered in front of the Belle. While it only attenuates about 1.5 dB at 15K Hz, we ran Audyssey (flat option) with the screen down, in front of the Belle, and it compensated. The system doesn't sound too bright for music with the screen retracted, on all but a few recordings, which we otherwise tweak.

The whole point was to make the timbre of the center match the Left and Right channels. We liked the results, so we kept it. Audyssey Flat helped detectably. The flush mounting increases the bass of the Belle a bit. There is now a slight peak at 60Hz, and only a slight roll-off to 40 Hz, which Audyssey reads as the F3, where the whole system (except the Heresy II surrounds) crosses over to the sub. See attachment below.

Attachments

• musicc room pics & text.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
We tried substituting a longer K401 midrange horn for the shorter horn that they provide in the Belle. The K401 is now standard in the Klipschorn, and it is what our Khorns have, so we decided to match them in our center channel Belle.
A good idea but I have to wonder why you just didn't start with a La Scala instead?

Top Bottom