• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what do people think about the "Klipsch sound" ?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Oh, I see you were talking about constant directivity horns, not the silver discs. Never mind. :facepalm:

Misunderstanding intent is one of the dangers of using acronyms and abbreviations on forum posts. I would appeal to people to please stop using them because even technically proficient people like me can be totally confused because the context isn't necessarily there. Besides, exercising our fingers is good - it makes for a better typist (or keyboardist or whatever). ;)

lol. I am sorry man. I hate when people use "insider" abreviations, but I thought it would be clear in this context that I mean Compression Drivers

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
lol. I am sorry man. I hate when people use "insider" abreviations, but I thought it would be clear in this context that I mean Compression Drivers
See, I still missed the intent. CD can mean constant directivity or compression drivers!

Constant directivity horns can also have problems in the high frequencies.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oh, I see you were talking about constant directivity horns, not the silver discs. Never mind. :facepalm:
me, too! :eek:

I mean, jeepers... coulda been Certificates of Deposit... or even these things*.

1645899317490.png

source: https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/flipbook/1982_radioshack_catalog.html

* OK, technically, I think RCA cactually alled these CED players (as shown in the catalog scan above), but early on (as I remember it), they were referred to as "capacitance discs" (CDs). They came along just before those digital CD thingies.
CED was a pretty cool if short-lived format for an analog video medium. ;)

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Never mind he was talking about compression drivers, so we were both confounded yet again. Might as well have been referring to certificates of deposit for all I know. :oops:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Never mind he was talking about compression drivers, so we were both confounded yet again. Might as well have been referring to certificates of deposit for all I know. :oops:

so... are you suggesting that all of this conflation confounding of the various meanings of CD is... a bit seedy?

:cool::facepalm:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
so... are you suggesting that all of this conflation confounding of the various meanings of CD is... a bit seedy?

:cool::facepalm:
I think that at our age, we are easily confounded. :confused:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

garyrc

I wonder if anybody here ever tryed to FIR-correct the problem in high treble that compression drivers have?

Doesn't Audyssey employ FIR correction? My compression tweeters in the Klipschorns (main front), Belle (center), and Heresy II (surround) all sound better with Audyssey (Full Range) than without. Audyssey pulls down a minor peak centered at 8K Hz, and smooths overall.
"washed" sound above 10KHz, caused by the phase plug . that's why many can't stand CDs compression drivers (though it is stupid to trade the much better mids (where 100% of acoustic instruments are present) of the CDs compression drivers for better high-hats).
(Bolded corrections mine - garyrc)

What do you mean by "washed?" Washed away? Washed out like an image or photograph devoid of color or detail? Or a student failing an introductory course, who therefore won't be majoring in that subject? Or too clean? Or exhausted, tired, limp, energyless?

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Doesn't Audyssey employ FIR correction?

never used it. the question is the time-correction window, since it is a time issue. Pretty sure that something like Dirac has a pretty small window for example

What do you mean by "washed?"

well it's hard to describe. David Gunness calls it "splashy" in this video where he describes the issue

never heard a Klipsch-horn but I hear the issue in every compression driver I face. very high instruments like hi-hats and jingles sound "dirty" compared to a dome-tweeter. most of the time you don't realy hear it if you not focuss on it, but on certain material it is more "in your face".
again, I am not in the anti-horn camp. compression drivers are far superior in terms of reproducing real instruments below 10Khz-ish. but above that they sound worse than domes

Andysu

Major Contributor
It is easy to run low distortion speakers(e.g, compression driver/horn combos) at higher volume, than one normally does with lower sensitivity speakers, without being aware of it. This can possibly be fatiguing.
it is simple case of finding the frequncuies that are fatiguing as even low sub bass can also be fatiguing at certain sound dB pressure levels. it is case of reducing certain frequencies and HF horns are outstanding its those that have used them not tried using PEQ to shape the frequency and remember, certain frequncuies can be easily heard than other frequncuies and even my JBL horns can be fatiguing but i look at the issue and make adjustments ad just the same as sun glare can be fatiguing. now use outboard PA gear and adjust those HF horns frequency for easily loud exciting in the certain frequency range, which is hard to explain. and better in the high, higher frequencies where one not often hears those upper highs above 10KHz it is hard to explain. then again hearing HF horns at, odeon bh2 screen 10 is deafeningly unsafe dB uncomfortable, where i need to wear earplugs.

garyrc

Doesn't Audyssey employ FIR correction?
never used it. the question is the time-correction window, since it is a time issue. Pretty sure that something like Dirac has a pretty small window for example

I found this at "Ask Audyssey." I think they mention using FIR elsewhere, as well.

"Our filters are in the form of impulse responses that operate on the audio signal through an operation called convolution. As such, they are affecting the signal in each channel in the time domain--hence the name. An additional benefit of such filters (also called FIR) is that they operate in the time-frequency domain as well."

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I mean, jeepers... coulda been Certificates of Deposit... or even these things*.
I always wondered who the genius was at RadioShack that named their line of components "Realistic".
It just seems to automatically suggest the product is a "toy" that approaches being the real thing. ???
I could never have a product in my rack with that name on it. LOL

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I always wondered who the genius was at RadioShack that named their line of components "Realistic".
It just seems to automatically suggest the product is a "toy" that approaches being the real thing. ???
I could never have a product in my rack with that name on it. LOL
Radio Shack's in-house line of audio products were originally(early/mid 1950s) branded Realist, but they ran afoul of the Stereo Realist camera folks and changed it to Realistic.

1646016088915.png

source: http://radioshackcatalogs.com/flipbook/1956_radioshack_catalog.html

(a gorgeously restored pair of similar, but newer push-pull 6V6 amplifiers that passed through here some while back -- these branded Realistic)

medium_1990_5036_4354_1.jpg

A Stereo Realist camera. Source: https://collection.sciencemuseumgro...-realist-2-8-camera-stereo-camera-35mm-camera

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
(a gorgeously restored pair of similar, but newer push-pull 6V6 amplifiers that passed through here some while back -- these branded Realistic)
A couple "real" beauties. LOL

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
A couple "real" beauties. LOL
Yeah, but they do look nice!
They actually sound(ed) pretty good, but not superb. Perfectly listenable with loudspeakers suited for 10 wpc.
On the other hand, the price was way right for a suitably disposed "collector".
A friend of mine wanted them, but didn't have the cash in hand, when they were collected. I did, so I bought them for him. They lived at my house in MA for a while (as shown), until he was able to drop by and... umm... collect them.
I think it's fair to say that they could fetch rather more than I/he paid for them a decade or so ago. :oops:

Here's one of 'em in its natural environment, lookin' pretty.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They actually sound(ed) pretty good, but not superb. Perfectly listenable with loudspeakers suited for 10 wpc.
On the other hand, the price was way right for a suitably disposed "collector".
You should have kept them. :)
I would have recommended you try some Russian 5881's in them.
Though most deficiency in the sound was probably due to a cheap output transformer. :(

Top Bottom