• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch The Fives - No audio after switching input source

hindsight

Hello, has anyone experienced this on their Klipsch The Fives?

After a recent firmware update (through the phone app), my Fives will have no audio after an input source is changed. For instance, after switching from TV to Phono, if I switch back to TV, there is no more audio from the speakers. The TV is connected via ARC, and both the TV and The Fives think that they are connected to each other: i.e., volume indicator on the TV goes up and down; the volume LED lights on The Fives go up and down; but zero audio. Muting, unmuting, changing the source with the dial or the phone app, disconnecting The Fives from the TV menu and reconnecting, etc..., have no effect. The ONLY remedy is to unplug power, re-plug power, turn The Fives on and set the source to TV, and finally the audio returns.

Also, sometimes, switching to Phono has no audio either. Once again, the ONLY remedy is to unplug power, re-plug power, turn The Fives on and set the source to Phono, and audio returns. However, after this, I cannot go back to TV. I have to unplug, re-plug, etc....

This problem first happened in early 2022, then was fixed after a firmware update in December 2022. You can read my experience with this here (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...d-bookshelf-speaker-review.22892/post-1381695). Now, after a recent firmware update in August 2023, the problem has returned. I've tried to flash older firmware, but that didn't help. Upgrading again to the latest firmware using the phone app doesn't fix it either.

Turning on or off the Auto-Power-Off feature has no effect on this problem. Flashing the firmware with all cables disconnected has no effect either.

Am I the only one with this issue? If you've had this problem, have you been able to fix it?

hugodm101

In my case, suddenly my Fives did not have sound on any source, never before had this kind of behavior, but after 2 months of trying different ways I don´t get any results.

Do you found a way to resolve it??

OP
H

hindsight

No, I don't have a permanent solution. My temporary solution has been to unplug the power cord, plug it back in, and after turn The Fives on, I switch to the input source I need. After this, when switching to another input source, I have to rinse and repeat.

Have you tried unplugging? Also, I unpaired all my Bluetooth devices from The Fives. I make sure that all my Bluetooth devices are not paired or connected to The Fives at all. I keep The Fives unpaired to all my Bluetooth devices with the hope of isolating any Bluetooth devices trying to take control. I only pair with my iPhone so I can use the Klipsch app. And though paired with the iPhone, I keep it disconnected so the iPhone doesn't become the input source. If I allow any device to connect to The Fives via Bluetooth, I'm liable to repeat my workaround chore when playing Audio through ARC on my TV. The only other input source I use is Phono. If The Fives wouldn't throw such a fit with connectivity, I'd use it for Bluetooth as well.

The connectivity of The Fives has very much been a pain. The connection to the iPhone Klipsch app is also very slow. Just trying to change the volume, EQ, or anything, requires the app to display "Downloading required data" from what, I'm not sure. From the speaker? From Klipsch servers? I don't know. But it takes about 5 seconds for this. On top of that, the "Downloading" fails and freezes about 1 out of 10 times. The workaround for that has been to force close the Klipsch app. A few times, when this workaround didn't work, I had to unplug The Fives.

Compare this to my Bose app. The Bose app connects with the Bose speaker within a second or so. And, I can connect the Bose app to my Bose speaker with just WiFi, no Bluetooth needed. Even if the Bose speaker is playing audio through Bluetooth of another device, I can control the Bose with my iPhone's WiFi connection. There's the other option of turning on Chromecast and playing audio through WiFi without Bluetooth as well. In short, the Bose has much faster and more reliable App connetion to the iPhone, and it also has to option to play via WiFi if you enable Chromecast.

If you ever find a solution for The Fives, please help and post the solution here.

ninox

I have not found a solution. I don't unplug, I just have to set sound in my TV each time to what it calls hdmi receiver (the fives). And then have to go into hdmi expert settings and then the fives will start working. Then are four days old and I think they have to go back.
The sound is really quite impressive though.

Top Bottom