• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please help! what should I do as an acoustic treatment for this back auditorium wall?

YPC

Hello,

to be clear i know very little about audio and acoustics. I have a general understanding and run some sound for my association in events. We have a room where we do live music very often, run seminars, trainings, and host groups of people up to 150.

I am looking into treating the back wall of the auditorium because the room is completely untreated and we have reverberation. My goal is to keep our treatment very aesthetic and at a resoanble price. at this time we were planning to just treat the back wall and see the difference and then move forward with more treatment of the room if needed.

Our walls have rockwool acoustic insulation in them and our floor is an liberty floor solutions 55 acoustic damping product.There is 2 sets of 2 line arrays and and two subs that point at a back wall. My plan was to treat the back wall with sound absorption as this si where the sound mostly hits from line arrays. I can give much more information to help know what do.

these are products I am considering to use at the moment. Building absorbers is also and optoon but think it would be hard to pull off a clean enough look. I want to not have so many panels and have a more full wall look rather scattered absorbers.

I know that there is plenty we probably did not do right in the step up overall but i am looking for reasonable solutions to our current set up. If you have other product recommdations or have an idea for a wall to make huge DIY absorbers with seemless fabric. Or many other ideas i could never think of, please help

Attachments

• IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1336.jpg
    IMG_1336.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
OP
Y

YPC

Here's an awesome video about how to make DIY absorption panels:
https://youtu.be/fqodnHxRJ7c
We are looking for an option that is aesthetic. I do not know how i could finish a DIY project like this making it clean enough for the professional environment. I think because of the speaker line array placement the whole back wall is a place of refraction and therefore could/should be treated rather than just a few absorbers in diffrent spots.

Trdat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Simple solution isn't always the best but if you insist in this direction then your goal would be to bring down RT60 times to desired live music pop venue requirments. In saying this larger rooms often only need this objective however battling between specular reflections, scattered surfaces and high bass reverberation times is the better approach and not simple, especailly if aesthetics is important.

I would shy away from panels as you might only get mild improvements depending on how many you get, your best bet is to build a wall with slats preferably 1D pseudo random slats or perhaps bad RPG panel with rockwool behind it. But you mention that your walls already have rockwool in them? I am a little confused so the back wall infront of the band set up, does that wall have rockwool behind the palsterboard panel...? If so then standard panels on it might yield decent results as do you have absorbtion for bass frequency.

Top Bottom