• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What Did You Give Yourself For Christmas?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Nothing. Yet. I will probably buy myself a model train (my real hobby is railway modelling).
How about posting some photos, l love that stuff!

BTW, can anyone remember the name of that OLD stereo demo recording of the train passing across the soundstage that was so famous back in the earliest days of stereo?

DuxServit

Forum Donor
What did I give myself for Christmas?
A bunch of Blu-Ray audio discs.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BTW, can anyone remember the name of that OLD stereo demo recording of the train passing across the soundstage that was so famous back in the earliest days of stereo?

I am in a club for building a layout and running my models (British houses rarely have room to build layouts large enough to operate scale length trains) but here are a few (poor) pictures of some locomotives on my living toom well:

Display.jpg
CSX.jpg
BN.jpg
Chessie.jpg
SD50F.jpg
MSP.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I am in a club for building a layout and running my models (British houses rarely have room to build layouts large enough to operate scale length trains) but here are a few (poor) pictures of some locomotives on my living toom well:

Nice, thank you. I don't know much about them but that's a awesome collection.
My dad worked as a laborer for the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad his entire working life after WW II.,
As a little kid I got the opportunity to sit in a engineers lap and operate the throttle on one of their last running steam engines. It was still being used for switching inside Chicago's California Coach Yards back in the 1950s.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice, thank you. I don't know much about them but that's a awesome collection.
My dad worked as a laborer for the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad his entire working life after WW II.,
As a little kid I got the opportunity to sit in a engineers lap and operate the throttle on one of their last running steam engines. It was still being used for switching inside Chicago's California Coach Yards back in the 1950s.

These ones are rather nice (if I'm allowed to say so), they're Overland brass models, made for Overland by Ajin in Korea. The CN SD50F is custom painted, the others are all factory painted/finished, it's an indulgence of mine. Ironically, brass models tend to be poor runners (and in the case of Ajin in particular they were notorious for using plastic balls in their cardan shaft drives which failed) so my brass models are for display rather than running. For playing trains I like plastic models, especially Kato and Atlas.

vert

Forum Donor
A pair of Paradigm Atom Monitors were my combined bday/Xmas gift. New TV and AVR being planned.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

There were at least a couple or three. One was a RCA Victor stereo demo disk. I had one which was an Everest demo disk. It was demo and goofy stories told through the sounds.

You might be thinking of this one which was trains only.
A friend had a copy of this one.

Old Listener

Audioengine HD6 powered speakers for use with the TV. I have not measured them yet but they sound quite good.

6th Generation Intel i5 NUC, 8 GB of RAM and a 256 GB m.2 SSD. Win 8.1 pro with it.
I needed an appliance PC (headless) to be a music server in my main system with enough CPU power to do all the DSP I might need.
The 6th gen. NUC is 2 generations old but it is the last generation with driver support for Win 8.1.

Other odds and ends like

a Raynox 150 snap on closeup lens. This will allow me to get more magnification when I'm walking around with a general purpose lens on my camera.

small, light ball head for use on the smaller tripod. My Oben tripod has a pistol grip head mounted on it that is just great for flower and insect closeups. However, that setup is awkward to carry for too long. The ball head on a 0 level Gitzo tripod is lighter and more comfortable to carry.

Windbreaker with claimed waterproof fabric.

Nothing that I bought makes my heart beat faster but everything filled a need.

Headphonaholic

I got one of those as well. Let me know if you are able to get measurements close to what others post online. I've been needing to play with mine, but the last time I played with it I couldn't quite get the measurements to line up and there seemed to be a decent channel imbalance too. Not sure what I was doing wrong in REW.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I got one of those as well. Let me know if you are able to get measurements close to what others post online. I've been needing to play with mine, but the last time I played with it I couldn't quite get the measurements to line up and there seemed to be a decent channel imbalance too. Not sure what I was doing wrong in REW.
will do, it only arrived an hour ago so I will play later

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
- FOSTEX T60RP, for me
- XBOX One S + Kinect + several games, for my kid...yes, right. :)
- Beer, wine and lot of lighting bulbs.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Still in UK to a friend of mine, sorry...seems that amazon.co.uk is starting the BREXIT by not delivering in all EU countries. :( I'll get them in the next couple of month, meanwhile I'm with the T50RP-mk3.

Headphonaholic

Still in UK to a friend of mine, sorry...seems that amazon.co.uk is starting the BREXIT by not delivering in all EU countries. :( I'll get them in the next couple of month, meanwhile I'm with the T50RP-mk3.
Ah that's no good. I own a pair of em myself, they're quite good.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Same here.....

Top Bottom