• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

Longshan

Loudspeaker cables - how do they make a difference?

I don’t know if I’ve ever such absolute bullshit delivered with such pomposity before.

I'm not actually sure this guy knows what an electron is. . .

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I haven't had a hearing test as of yet but I can't hear in that (RF) range.

Oh, that's too bad, even worse than my hearing...

"Extremely low frequency (ELF) is the ITU designation for electromagnetic radiation (radio waves) with frequencies from 3 to 30 Hz, and corresponding wavelengths of 100,000 to 10,000 kilometers, respectively."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremely_low_frequency

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And my point is that that "new and better" is already here. Professional audio has moved pretty massively to audio-over-ip (AES67, DANTE etc). Check out this speaker for an example:

Genelec 4430A
I'm aware that the technology existed, I was only pointing out that Toslink was now terribly insufficient and I'd like to see something better replace it incorporated in consumer audio gear. As is, audio gear intended for multich sound uses HDMI, and that's fine, but high speed optical is in use the world over, it would be nice to have a piece of that replace Toslink, it's way obsolete for todays needs.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm aware that the technology existed, I was only pointing out that Toslink was now terribly insufficient and I'd like to see something better replace it incorporated in consumer audio gear. As is, audio gear intended for multich sound uses HDMI, and that's fine, but high speed optical is in use the world over, it would be nice to have a piece of that replace Toslink, it's way obsolete for todays needs.

Toslink is indeed obsolete, but so is pretty much any audio-only connection (apart from maybe speaker cables). There is no point in creating a new standard for just audio. Audio is data, and there are lots of good ways to do fast data these days.

Overseas

Major Contributor
In my country the best audio dealer markets QED 79 at 2.5 euro/m and swears it gets the job done and no need for something more expensive.
What they also do is they fix the bananas by cold soldering (if that is the term) with a special tool - that seems very professional to me.

DSJR

Major Contributor
We/I fitted hundreds of QED Airloc 4mm plugs in my time. Apparently, tests were done that showed less resistance across the joint by the method of 'crushing' the plug around the cables to lock them together (please don't shoot the messenger here).

I thought the QED 79 strand cables a bit small gauge twenty years ago and the thin insulation was a pain to part the fig 8 construction neatly as it tended to 'tear.' The current stuff seems different with a slightly beefier insulation that's much easier to work with and nice shiny bright copper once stripped back. For typical 'UK runs' of 5m each, I'm sure it's perfect for the job.

welsh

Everybody should.

Neutrik is one of the standard of the standard regarding Pro connector, as is Mogami for cables.

Like @MC_RME, I recommend Mogami 2964 + Neutrik ProFi RCA for RCA cables:

Mogami_2964_High_Defintion_75_Ohm_Interconnect_Cable_with_Gold_Neutrik_Profi_RCA_to_RCA_Audiophile_Connectors_1024x1024.jpg

And Mogami 2549 (or 2534) + Neutrik XLR for XLR cables:

db_20170116_1344281.jpg

I don't think anyone needs to look further that these for interconnects.
I have these XLR cables. Why would anybody spend more?

Overseas

Major Contributor
What do you think about this Hama interconnect 2rca - 2rca?
It is their best interconnect available, but does it seem too shallow?

Attachments

• IMG-20210304-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210304-WA0000.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 144

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What do you think about this Hama interconnect 2rca - 2rca?

It seemed to have been a good RCA-RCA cable back in the days it wasn't damaged yet.
Those buying high-end gear will probably want something that looks 'more substantial'.
They won't be hearing any differences unless they know a 'cheap' cable is used.

Overseas

Major Contributor
I also use basic Qed interconnect at 20 euro, I am curious what it looks inside.

Attachments

• IMG-20210304-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210304-WA0001.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 170

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
.....I don’t know if I’ve ever such absolute bullshit delivered with such pomposity before.

Amazing. For me, it is indeed the all time record.

He describes how surprised he was when he learned during Sebelius design that changing the shape of voice coil wire (presumably from round to flat allowing more turns) changed the sound, and that this proves speaker cables sound different. While his biography indicates he has had no electronics training, I think it is not fair to call him uneducated. The bio states: He was.. "Brought up in south east England (some say the centre of the world’s loudspeaker design in the 1960’s with both KEF and Lowther being in the vicinity.)" So osmosis.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also use basic Qed interconnect at 20 euro, I am curious what it looks inside.

The photo on the package shows what looks like high quality connectors and 20 euro sound reasonable. However, I would personally have a hard time buying cables whose marketing features endorsement by WhatHiFi as providing a "tight and airy sound". I hope their cable design is more reality based than their marketing dept.

Adis

Interconnects:

Speaker cable:

Coax cable:

USB cable:

Power cable:
1) Cardas Quadlink (pre to amp)
2) Forgot the name (doesn't say on the cable)
3) Don't use coax momentarily, use optical: No name
4) Ne name
5) No name

Longshan

Amazing. For me, it is indeed the all time record.

He describes how surprised he was when he learned during Sebelius design that changing the shape of voice coil wire (presumably from round to flat allowing more turns) changed the sound, and that this proves speaker cables sound different. While his biography indicates he has had no electronics training, I think it is not fair to call him uneducated. The bio states: He was.. "Brought up in south east England (some say the centre of the world’s loudspeaker design in the 1960’s with both KEF and Lowther being in the vicinity.)" So osmosis.

Well, in that case, I’m the world’s leading expert in radiation. Be sure to catch my upcoming lecture wherein I go on about how much more open and expansive to your complexion U-238 is compared to U-235.

3m3rson

I only fret over RCA interconnects.

Apologies for the long intro but this is my setup:

All sources are digital (media server, disc player, Apple device, DAC for TV and A/B comparison). Each has a single ended connection to my vintage NAD receiver, which also has an effects loop (tape monitor) for an EQ or tube buffer, plus a second tape in/out to audition new sources and feed an adjacent amp powering outdoor speakers. The NAD also connects to my TV antenna in the attic, and I use the "B" speakers to feed line level to a sub. Mounted under the media cabinet is a cable modem and a WiFi router (configured for max range) with ethernet ports. On top of the media cabinet are the bookshelf speakers, and immediately to the side is the sub. Everything is within 4 feet of one another.

To connect it all I have jammed in and around the media cabinet: eight pairs of RCA cables, ten power cables (factory), a USB for the DAC (factory), a toslink (2020's ETK), two coax (homemade RG-6), two pairs of indoor speaker cables (2000's Kimber Kable 4PR), one outdoor speaker cable (2020's high-purity oxygen-free copper 4-conductor for the long run), and three CAT 5E (entry-level Cable Matters). Until recently I relied on a rebadged Tripp-Lite consumer surge protector which didn't have enough sockets, so the sockets on the back of each amp were feeding multiple devices via splitter power adapters. The wiring in the house is old BX cable from the 1930s, terminating at cheap Leviton wall outlets. LOTS OF OPPORTUNITY FOR INTERFERENCE, AND NO FANCY CABLES.

RCA interconnects are a mix of 2000's Switchcraft (nickel jacks, tinned wires, very thin insulation), 1990's Radio Shack (gold or nickel jacks, copper wires, thick insulation) and 1960's unbranded (nickel jacks, unknown wires, thick insulation). Occasionally I encounter a cable that crackles when touched and I throw it out, otherwise they stay in the setup. It is a rats nest back there. I do my best to keep the cables organized but its hard to reach them. I have never de-oxidized the steel RCA jacks on the amps nor the nickel jacks on the cables, and some of them definitely need it.

With the above system and only the NAD powered, cranking the volume knob to 10 resulted in a whisper of white noise from the bookshelf speakers and a faint omni-present 60 Hz hum from the subwoofer. When playing music at moderate volume the sound is sweet, at loud volumes the NAD (2 x 35 watts) distorts but no one notices except me.

All was fine and dandy. I upgraded to a Furman PL-8C pro power conditioner (2 filter banks) and rearranged the power cables with a star ground . I noticed no difference in sound, but relieved to have good surge protection and connected equipment warranty.

I upgraded again to a Furman Prestige power factor conditioner (3 filter banks) dedicated to audio, a TrippLite ISOBAR (3 filter banks) dedicated to TV and internet (which improved stability of the internet service!), and replaced the wall outlet with an industrial Hubbell heavy bronze. The toroidal transformer in this new Furman hums quite noticeably (which I tested and confirmed is native to the unit), but now with only the NAD powered I can turn the volume knob to 10 and the bookshelf speakers are dead silent as if they are not powered.

The success of clean power vaporized tonight. I decided to turn on all my sources and play audio on them simultaneously. I then stepped through each input on the NAD, with the respective source paused, and cranked the volume knob to 10. EMI/RFI was noticeable on all inputs, most being very faint, except my media server (the most expensive component) crackled like a fire. I had never noticed this, and now realize the "warm" character it offers is actually EMI/RFI coloring the sound and also some of the distortion I hear at loud volume. Cutting power to everything else except it and the NAD did not help, and in fact some of the noise is native because putting the server's display to sleep reduced the problem. It also happens that the media server is tethered with an unnecessarily long interconnect that is subjectively crappy (lowest of the low budget Radio Shack).

Next step I will do some tests removing a few cables that I think may suck, and see if I can pinpoint the EMI/RFI leakage. Considering how it all is jammed tight, that step will probably prove a waste of time and I will choose to upgrade them all to well shielded budget interconnects ($10/each?), and possibly upgrade the CAT 5E cables. Though the EMI/RFI is not noticeable at moderate listening levels, the interference definitely degrades rendering of my audio by making my digital sources work harder.

I'll report back when I find a solution. My point in describing all of this is that if you have a densely laid out system, the shielding of your interconnects definitely matters. Its also worth noting that I achieved clean power in that dense environment without upgrading a single power cable.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Interconnects: Worlds Best Cable- XLR; BJC & old Monster Cable - RCA

Speaker cable: 12ga OFC, No termination

Coax cable: N/A

USB cable: Whatever came with the device or generic

Power cable: Whatever came with the device

Top Bottom