• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

What cables do you use in your systems?

Adis

Hi i had a weird experience with cables. I was quite unsatisfied by the sound coming out from my Rotel cd player. Then a friend lent me a pair of Cardas cables the Neutral Reference. I was shocked by the difference in sound. The cd player was sounding full and omogeneous like a turntable.
In particular what stroke me was the midrange and the soundstage.
The midrange in particular was not just good .... it was spooky. The very best i heard. Natural and fleshed-out. Amazingly present.
Since then i believe that cable, especially RCAs, can sound different. I tend to think that cables made out of solid core wires or litz, like the Cardas, can sound much better expecially with digital. Unfortunately they are very very expensive.

I also tried some DIY cables made with magnet wires and they did sound intriguing ... anyway it is difficult to make two identical with DIY ... and they need a very very long break in imho. They can cost literally only the price of the RCA plugs. On this topic i prefer the locking type by far.
Hm, quite the opposite experience from mine; Cardas Quadlink didn't bring any audible difference, I previously had the included RCA interconnects that came with devices.
What made difference was the speaker cable - the new ones sounded less saturated and more punchy. They're also finger thick, so...

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What made difference was the speaker cable - the new ones sounded less saturated and more punchy. They're also finger thick, so...
Your subjective, unverified perception is noted.

gino1961

Hm, quite the opposite experience from mine; Cardas Quadlink didn't bring any audible difference, I previously had the included RCA interconnects that came with devices.
Hi ! i understand I was just mentioning my experience Speaking of speaker cables i think that we have to look for low resistance and inductance ? they both can be measured.
I can only say that i have found very beneficial using this kind of plugs ... very beneficial
https://www.audiophonics.fr/7019-la...rp-banana-plug-bfa-rhodium-o86mm-la-paire.jpg
the contact surface is quite large so resistance goes down

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi ! i understand I was just mentioning my experience Speaking of speaker cables i think that we have to look for low resistance and inductance ? they both can be measured.
Indeed. have you done that?

Isn't it funny how most "high end" cable manufacturers don't publish those (easily measurable) specifications?

gino1961

Indeed. have you done that?
No i do not have access to instruments to measure them
Anyway i am much less hot on speakers cable ... i am just using decent car audio cables 2.5 sqmm with BFA plugs like these
https://it.aliexpress.com/item/8409...N197L7DNhMSVlXtaBqcaAoUJEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Isn't it funny how most "high end" cable manufacturers don't publish those (easily measurable) specifications?
i am not very interested in speaker cables ... but i have a low power and low end system Maybe in more resolving systems they could make some difference ... i really do not know
One thing is sure ... the high end ones are out of my reach ... they look gorgeous by the way It is a pity that they lay hidden behind the speakers.
From an electrical point of view to have low resistance and low inductance in speaker cables is a good thing for power transfer i guess
As i said i just use decent copper cables for car audio and i am quite fine with them
Actually i am about to try for curiosity some 3 wires cables for AC power of the flexible kind with 2 wires on the - and 1 on the +
I have also a quad cable from Straightwire ... http://www.audioreview.com/product/cables/speaker-cables/straight-wire/quartet.html
A good cable for sure ,,, but i am not using it at present ... i have to clean/replace the plugs

Last edited:

Adis

I can only say that i have found very beneficial using this kind of plugs ... very beneficial
https://www.audiophonics.fr/7019-la...rp-banana-plug-bfa-rhodium-o86mm-la-paire.jpg
the contact surface is quite large so resistance goes down
IDK, man, this is what mine look like:
20210308_145827.jpg

That cable I bought in '96. Before that I had something like this:

just a wire, didn't even classify as "speaker cable". :D

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No i do not have access to instruments to measure them
You can get decent LCR meters for less than $30.

i am not very interested in speaker cables
Just interested enough to make unsupported claims?

From an electrical point of view to have low resistance and low inductance in speaker cables is a good thing for power transfer i guess
Usually not an issue.

Actually i am about to try for curiosity some 3 wires cables for AC power
When you say "try", I assume that doesn't mean proper listening tests?

gino1961

You can get decent LCR meters for less than $30. Just interested enough to make unsupported claims?
What claims ? that low resistance and low inductance in speaker cables are not a good thing to have ? tell me. Better high resistance and high inductance ? educate me In the meantime i have found something
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/low-inductance-speaker-cables " ... Assuming the goal is for the cable to behave in as neutral a manner as possible one would want the impedance presented by that inductance to be a very small fraction of the impedance of the speaker at all relevant frequencies... "

Usually not an issue.
good to know. I can keep using my car audio cables then. Hoping that they are low in inductance ...

When you say "try", I assume that doesn't mean proper listening tests?
i have a very good ear ... i know very well when something sounds right or not. I do not need any instruments I taste the sound
Using decent quality plugs instead of the bar wires helps a lot imhe. The noise is reduced. The sound is more clear. Like cleaning the plugs and the binding posts.
Anyway ... i have reported the positions of very respected cables manufacturers. You have said nothing about that but you keep attacking me.
I copy what i read in the manufacturers sites ... i am here to understand if they are right or not in THEIR claims.
I stil wonder if they are right or wrong in stating the superiority of solid wires to transmit an audio signal.
What is your opinion ? are they saying silly things ? is it just marketing ?
Solid core hook-up wires are very popular in the high end circle ... there must be a reason i guess.

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What claims ? that low resistance and low inductance in speaker cables are not a good thing to have?
They are a good thing - to a certain level. Most cables reach that level as long as they are decent gauge. Inductance has to be really high before it matters at speaker impedances and audio frequencies. Resistance also has to be pretty high to matter - as the voice coil resistance quickly masks all cable resistance. Resistance also doesn't cause any coloration unless your speakers have an very uneven impedance curve, and you won't hear an attenuation on the order of a few tenths of a dB.

i have a very good ear ...
Right. And I am a better than average driver. :)

i know very well when something sounds right or not. I do not need any instruments I taste the sound.
Oh, if I could only get $1 for every audiophile who claims that and then fails to hear a difference in a proper double-blind ABX test. When was the last time you did one?

Using decent quality plugs instead of the bar wires helps a lot imhe. The noise is reduced.
Could you please explain what physical effect would cause noise in a wire connection?

Anyway ... i have reported the positions of very respected cables manufacturers. You have said nothing about that but you keep attacking me.
I copy what i read in the manufacturers sites ... i am here to understand if they are right or not in THEIR claims.
I stil wonder if they are right or wrong in stating the superiority of solid wires to transmit an audio signal.
What is your opinion ? are they saying silly things ? is it just marketing ?
Solid core hook-up wires are very popular in the high end circle ... there must be a reason i guess.
Yes, there is a reason. Marketing. And audiophile magazines and sites - that get their revenue from advertising.

Speedskater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
therefore even hair like wires could be enough (maybe they would be too fragile i do not know)
Yes, the central conductors in RCA & XLR interconnects can be very thin. The limiting size factor is mechanical reliability.
However the shield/return in a RCA interconnect needs to be heavy for other noise & shielding reasons.

Speedskater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What claims ? that low resistance and low inductance in speaker cables are not a good thing to have ? tell me.
Low end-to-end resistance of the speaker cable with respect to the attached loudspeaker's frequency impedance curve. But it quickly reaches the point of diminishing returns.
With the few loudspeakers that have a low impedance at high frequencies, total cable inductance may be of interest.

Angsty

Forum Donor
I know it’s fun to dismiss the completely subjective evaluation of cables; it’s happened to me, too. Let’s get back to directing new folks on the forum as to why their subjective perceptions may not correlate to objective differences.

I mean i wonder if this is all a marketing hype or what :rolleyes:
Yes. Yes, it is. A manufacturer would much rather have you pay $400 or $4000 for a cable instead of $40. Flowery language and great photography has proven very effective at separating audiophiles from their money without demonstrable, objective improvements.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder why isn't there a charter on the master thread that simply states ASR's spirit and beliefs

That would save us so many repetitive posts and all that has to be done is indicating a shortcut to it.

You think that everybody knows, but no, even members that are here since >2 years haven't realised yet.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know it’s fun to dismiss the completely subjective evaluation of cables; it’s happened to me, too. Let’s get back to directing new folks on the forum as to why their subjective perceptions may not correlate to objective differences.

Yes. Yes, it is. A manufacturer would much rather have you pay $400 or $4000 for a cable instead of $40. Flowery language and great photography has proven very effective at separating audiophiles from their money without demonstrable, objective improvements.
It's like going to an expensive restaurant and note that you can't understand their menu though they simply serve steak & French fries.

HiFidFan

I wonder why isn't there a charter on the master thread that simply states ASR's spirit and beliefs

That would save us so many repetitive posts and all that has to be done is indicating a shortcut to it.
Assuming anyone would read it.

You think that everybody knows, but no, even members that are here since >2 years haven't realised yet.
Perhaps those members simply don't agree. I think some (not pointing out anyone in particular) just make controversial (for ASR) posts to stir the pot. Either way, ain't no sticky gonna help. But hey, maybe couldn't hurt?

Top Bottom