• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What cables do you use in your systems?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think we really have that already. Gigabit speeds. Just normal IP routers and connections. Audio is just one form of data - and one of the least demanding.
Yep, but we'd need the transmitters and receivers built into audio gear along with a dedicated cable to replace the old stuff.
Long past time to move on. A higher speed data line than USB3 and fully isolated. We're (audio) living in the 90s when it comes to data transfer. ;)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, but we'd need the transmitters and receivers built into audio gear along with a dedicated cable to replace the old stuff.
Long past time to move on. A higher speed data line than USB3 and fully isolated. We're (audio) living in the 90s when it comes to data transfer. ;)

We have that. It is called "ethernet".

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
We have that. It is called "ethernet".
Sorry, I'm showing my ignorance here, but you lost me. I don't know of any home hifi gear that has gigabyt ethernet over optical.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Sorry, I'm showing my ignorance here, but you lost me. I don't know of any home hifi gear that has gigabyt ethernet over optical.
I think they're talking about technologies like Dante for digital audio distribution over ethernet.

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mansr

Major Contributor
You can get optical converters and use with any Ethernet-equipped device. There are even audiophool versions available. Of course, wired Ethernet is transformer coupled, so it already has very good suppression of unwanted noise. If you need better isolation, wifi is hard to beat. At the bandwidths needed by domestic audio applications, optical Ethernet mostly seems like an unnecessary expense.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone inform me what happened to the AT&T "glass" optical cable (please) ?

1613863050253.jpeg

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
* = Both can carry an audio signal that far exceeds human hearing, so sake of discussion/persnonal interest.

It is worth noting optical cables are not used in this context to carry an audio frequency signal. Optical analog transmission does exist but the performance is marginal.

mansr

Major Contributor
It is worth noting optical cables are not used in this context to carry an audio frequency signal. Optical analog transmission does exist but the performance is marginal.
Does film-edge audio count as optical transmission?

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
Blue Jeans Cables, but only after proper break in, when the valence electrons are all lined up and ready to rock.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think it's actually wireless where gear should go. I have three TP-Link Omada 1350 AC Access Points. $51-56 per. Running 5G at VHT 80 channel width and let the controller OS manage the channel plan and power settings.

I routinely get 38MB/s (311,000 kbps) on my Windows 10 machines.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think it's actually wireless where gear should go.
That's another good route to avoid grounding problems, not so sure about RF?.
In any case I think this discussion has driven home how the current audio data transmission routes is lacking and more than time for something new and better going forward. Things like 24/192 Atmos files can be pretty demanding in bandwidth.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I haven't had a hearing test as of yet but I can't hear in that range.
That's not the whole picture.
My neighbors used to complain like hell about hearing my 250 watt, linear amp boosted, CB radio transmitter in their TV's. ;)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's another good route to avoid grounding problems, not so sure about RF?.
In any case I think this discussion has driven home how the current audio data transmission routes is lacking and more than time for something new and better going forward. Things like 24/192 Atmos files can be pretty demanding in bandwidth.

And my point is that that "new and better" is already here. Professional audio has moved pretty massively to audio-over-ip (AES67, DANTE etc). Check out this speaker for an example:

Genelec 4430A

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get confused on the conflicting info on claims optical has less bandwidth than coax*. That makes no sense to me as I'd thought fiber optic cables able to carry far more bandwidth vs typical copper based transmissions. Being old school type I tend to default to coax, but my streamer only offeres RCA or optical outs. I was surprised a $700 Marantz na6006 streamer did not have coax out. Right now, using the RCA outs which is analog signal my integrated unit.

* = Both can carry an audio signal that far exceeds human hearing, so sake of discussion/persnonal interest.
The issue is not the physics-based frequency bandwidth of the optical cable, but the design of the TOSLINK standard. It is designed to carry a digital SPDIF signal using one wavelength over a short distance using inexpensive plastic fiber/terminations.

Optical fibers conforming to different standards are capable of much greater bandwidth. Glass fibers have physical properties which can enable much greater usable frequency bandwidth than coax copper cables, especially over very long distances. None of that extra frequency bandwidth matters in audio systems.

TOSLINK is useful in preventing ground loops since it is an optical, not electrical, cabling system.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not the whole picture.
My neighbors used to complain like hell about hearing my 250 watt, linear amp boosted, CB radio transmitter in their TV's. ;)

I used to hold a HAM Tech license. What your neighbors are hearing is you violating FCC RF rules. The TV is being saturated and it's modulating that RF.

Unlike you, manufacturers of WiFi devices, are required, and pay for, FCC EMC testing and certification.

Again RF in this regard is a red herring. I already when round and round with Simon in Sulfolk over at Naim forums about this.

Top Bottom