• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chrysler Building

il_1140xN.3281223404_lrqd.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not the whole bike, rather Buell's concept of mounting the brake caliper on the inner edge of the brake disk. (To maximise brake torque whilst keeping mass down).
View attachment 217484

Not sure if it is a good idea with regards to rotating mass but still an interesting concept.
Actually an excellent idea. The large sweep diameter of the disc gives a tremendous braking leverage allowing the design to give as much braking power as the usual dual caliper/rotor/carrier system. This further gives the advantage of a huge weight savings in unsprung mass to the front suspension. Eric Buell is a very forward thinking engineer, I sold motorcycles for him in Chicago for a long time. A shame Harley-Davidson pulled the support money from him, H-D never has understood how to market sport bikes.
Here's my 98 M2 Cyclone
sal.jpg

test.jpg

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eric Buell is a very forward thinking engineer
IIRC - can't find a reference - Buell did one of the most audacious mods for (AMA?) roadracing.

Buell's HD engine was uncompetitive, because bore/stroke, valve area, etc. But the rules allowed any modification to the factory block except you could not add additional material. So they took a stock block, melted it down, and cast the original metal into a better shape. Well played!

@Sal1950, do you know anything about this?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
IIRC - can't find a reference - Buell did one of the most audacious mods for (AMA?) roadracing.

Buell's HD engine was uncompetitive, because bore/stroke, valve area, etc. But the rules allowed any modification to the factory block except you could not add additional material. So they took a stock block, melted it down, and cast the original metal into a better shape. Well played!

@Sal1950, do you know anything about this?
No, can't say I do.
I smell a bit of fish in that story. LOL

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ikea POÄNG
View attachment 217508(Trying to keep it slightly audio related - could be a listening chair I guess).
I am completely starting from scratch with furniture at the house I have refurbished (1968 house somewhat into the modern world & with some custom touches).
There is no IKEA within 100 miles of me. Is this comfortable or does it just look interesting?

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am completely starting from scratch with furniture at the house I have refurbished (1968 house somewhat into the modern world & with some custom touches).
There is no IKEA within 100 miles of me. Is this comfortable or does it just look interesting?
Yes they are pretty comfortable. You might need a cushion too if you like to lean to the side. They spring backward slightly so you find yourself constantly bouncing on them which feels really nice. Not super expensive anyway, so easy to recommend at the price.

(I'd always want a sofa too).

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very comfortable and supportive and not very expensive. Be sure to get the foot rest

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had two for a long time but the back rest is missing (or does not match my back, and my wifes neither). Hence I got a Varier Gravity some 25 years ago and my wife finally joined in just recently.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I suppose it's looks rely heavily upon the two-tone paint treatment, and it might look odd if painted in a single light color.
Maybe... but... here's some of the darker colours to bring down the roof contrast and you can see that it can still be both - cool and awkward

honda_honda_e_advance_5dr_hat_154ps_bev_17in_au_hatchback_64289391.jpg

2-honda-e-2020-rt-hero-rear.jpg

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had two for a long time but the back rest is missing (or does not match my back, and my wifes neither). Hence I got a Varier Gravity some 25 years ago and my wife finally joined in just recently.
The price caused me to momentarily go anti-gravity. We have managed to get a couch, a love seat and a dining room table (no chairs) so far.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Putting the rear shock there is pretty innovative too.
Another move to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.
Besides having a engineering degree he raced AMA superbike on Ducati's for a time and other forms of motorcycle racing, so he knows a bit about making a bike handle.
He also plays a mean rock guitar.
Pretty kool dude all around.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another move to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.
Besides having a engineering degree he raced AMA superbike on Ducati's for a time and other forms of motorcycle racing, so he knows a bit about making a bike handle.
He also plays a mean rock guitar.
Pretty kool dude all around.
How well do those Buells wheelie. With all that torque and the lightened chassis and stuff it makes me wonder.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
How well do those Buells wheelie. With all that torque and the lightened chassis and stuff it makes me wonder.
Wheelie monsters. ;)
I'd hate to count the ones that came in on the tow after being turned over.

Glint

I once tore my hamstring sitting down in one, it took a year to really heal. They are frankly terrible chairs.

Top Bottom