• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I once tore my hamstring sitting down in one, it took a year to really heal. They are frankly terrible chairs.
Re: Poang...
Oops, they are quite low down and sink further as you sit into them. I guess also not great if you have difficulty getting up out of chairs.

G|force

Forum Donor
View attachment 217837In 1976 at Sears for $8 $11 out the door.
Not my example, I traded it partially for a Matel Football or Basketball

It's not a triumph in design.
It's a triumph in High Tech Disposables.

LED display complete with yet unannounced Star Wars to blow your mind in 1977.
Includes the sticker pack you could place over the bottom of the face. Topps trading cards were hot in 1975, Wacky Packs Sigmund the Sea Monster

Last edited:

tomchris

As for industrial design in Hi-Fi equipment, I perfer the design, construction and footprint of "tower" monoblocks instead of the usual "weight scale" form factor. Shown here are some fine examples from Mark Levinson, no. 33 and no. 53 monoblocks.

525x525px-LL-04784a8a_vbattach149024.jpeg
525x525px-LL-1f79f9aa_vbattach149025.jpeg

1212levin.promo_.jpg
Mark-Levinson-%E2%84%96-53-01.jpg

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Both of our kids had Poäng chairs in their starting out days -- I quite like them for sitting in.

Here's a photo I just happen to have handy :p of our daughter's, in her (and our son-in-law's) first actual house (and a quite funky old house it was -- lots of character :) ), in Keene, NH. Photo taken on Thanksgiving (24 Nov.) 2011.

1657661048585.jpeg

dpturner

Forum Donor
Another move to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.
i believe it's more about mass centralization, reducing polar moment of inertia. like in a mid-engine car. low center of gravity (on a motorcycle) is of secondary importance.

G|force

Forum Donor
ML No.33 yeah thats the stuff.
It's like a Porsche 935 poster. Imposing yet beckoning you.
Halcro made those upright amplifiers with some thoughtful visual design but the 33 looks like the empire state building, everlasting.

G|force

Forum Donor
Jon Ive
In 1990 this Quadra above ran on a Moto 68040 processor @ 33Mhz and was maxed with 512 MB RAM

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not particularly musical, but this thing sure looks like fun, and at 150 USD, seems like a lot of potential in a tiny package:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Romeo Palamides Built Jet Powered Dragsters.
I toured US as crewman 1967 - 1969 Seasons

67 Cougar Westinghouse Jet J34 powered
Brian Murphy Pilot
HYPERSONIC-BRIAN-MURPHY2.jpeg

GE J47 powered dragster
JD Zink Pilot
J D ZINK 4_w.jpg

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_20230703_103137.jpg

Depends on how broadly one defines industrial design, my Master-Piece briefcase has probably been the most enjoyable and useful object. Seams taped everywhere, waterproof Cordura, trimmed with Japanese shrunken calf leather that has a useful 3M coating that repels water and scratching, many(many!) pockets laid out logically, made in Japan.

By many pockets, I mean, a nice central compartment lined in a burnt orange twill, mesh padded laptop compartment, two mesh inner pocket, one zipped compartment at the front, a pocket with snap closure at the rear (with four pockets inside), two side pockets, not to mention attachment points along the sides and front to add more space or equipment.

Highly recommended brand. I specifically own this one, but pretty much any tote, briefcase or backpack on discount is more than worth it. I use it for work everyday, short trips of up to 4 days, outdoors everywhere, caught in the rain. Cordura is unmarked and the leather has barely-visible light scuffing at the edges. The 3M coating has not deteriorated as well.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 296416

Depends on how broadly one defines industrial design, my Master-Piece briefcase has probably been the most enjoyable and useful object. Seams taped everywhere, waterproof Cordura, trimmed with Japanese shrunken calf leather that has a useful 3M coating that repels water and scratching, many(many!) pockets laid out logically, made in Japan.

By many pockets, I mean, a nice central compartment lined in a burnt orange twill, mesh padded laptop compartment, two mesh inner pocket, one zipped compartment at the front, a pocket with snap closure at the rear (with four pockets inside), two side pockets, not to mention attachment points along the sides and front to add more space or equipment.

Highly recommended brand. I specifically own this one, but pretty much any tote, briefcase or backpack on discount is more than worth it. I use it for work everyday, short trips of up to 4 days, outdoors everywhere, caught in the rain. Cordura is unmarked and the leather has barely-visible light scuffing at the edges. The 3M coating has not deteriorated as well.
Thanks for the recommendation I am a sucker for nice bags. I have a Filson I just waxed and a Tom Bihn but this looks nice.

Barrelhouse Solly

My father in law was an industrial designer. He worked for Friden in the '50s and '60s. Yup, he designed mechanical calculators as well as an electronic cash register that pretty much became the model for what cash registers look like now.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the recommendation I am a sucker for nice bags. I have a Filson I just waxed and a Tom Bihn but this looks nice.

Quite a few designs on sale right now -- they go on quite steep sales every few months online, think the brand hasn't gotten much traction in NA/Europe. Thinking of getting the brown full leather one for a slightly slimmer and more formal bag for the office. They are kind of like what Porter Yoshida used to be (before the hype), as far as obsessively-made Japanese bags go.

Top Bottom