• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

what are your industrial design favorites?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Nice pic and those exhaust pipes look like they have been pretty hot.
Yep, those old cast-iron head & cylinder Sportster engines tend to produce some high exhaust temps when stock.
At the level of tune I had them at, they would glow red on a warm summer night. LOL

Kling75

Forum Donor
Can you get me a ride?

If I hit that big lotto one day, I'd first replace my stack of Adcom amps with a bunch of these from Dan D'Agostino.
I find the design, both external and internal a thing of absolute beauty.
View attachment 213029
Look at the size or that monster power supply!
"With its 5.5-kilowatt power supply feeding nearly 100 output devices, the Relentless Mono Amplifier easily delivers 1,500 watts into 8 ohms—and when connected to a 220-volt or greater AC mains outlet, it doubles its output to 3,000 watts into 4 ohms and 6,000 watts into 2 ohms. This power output is maintained with the same musical composure at full power as it is at 1 watt."

View attachment 213044
Fabulous, like to see a pair on Amirs AP....

Kling75

Forum Donor
The Relentless Monoblocks are $295,000 for a pair.
So I'll need 9 monoblocks for my multich rig, that's $1,350,000 total, plus tax. :facepalm:
Who the fu k can afford this shit???
The Reps. would tell you : pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. So its easy...?

Kling75

Forum Donor
Rookie error………but surely we’ve all forgot our Loggia at some point?.

runs off to google loggia………looks like what we in Scotland would call a sit-ooterie.
Lucky you, here we have slightly different prices for real estate :) Calculate with 980₤ per square metre...

bothu

My OLYMPUS LS-10 is designed with care about details and ergonomics. I have used it for many years and it is still a pleasure to operate it.

LS 10 front.jpg

Just look at the mechanical details around and on the recording level knob.

LS 10 side.jpg

My old UHER CR 240 is designed with function in the first place, but looks good to.
The recorder works but the tape hiss makes it not usable any more. I have had it from new.

CR 240.jpg

/Bo Thunér , Linköping, Sweden

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My OLYMPUS LS-10 is designed with care about details and ergonomics. I have used it for many years and it is still a pleasure to operate it.
How would you rate the quality of sound? Most probably being determined by the included mic's.
TIA

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not the whole bike, rather Buell's concept of mounting the brake caliper on the inner edge of the brake disk. (To maximise brake torque whilst keeping mass down).
Screenshot_20220710-093207_Firefox.jpg

Not sure if it is a good idea with regards to rotating mass but still an interesting concept.

Last edited:

-Matt-

BNC connectors (Bayonet Neill–Concelman). Very satisfying the way they lock into place.
BNC_connector_50_ohm_male.jpg

Serious question... why does audio gear use RCA instead of these? Current carrying capability?

RCA is even used for coaxial digital, why, just because it is easier to make connections whilst leaning behind the tv cabinet?

Edit: We could even be using 2x BNC for HD-SDI video instead of HDMI.

Edit2: Hmm, let me think about that... no maybe not, extra cables needed for audio. I don't want 8 bnc connectors on my laptop just for HD video and 5.1 audio. So maybe, despite the hdcp woes, this should actually be an industrial design classic...
220px-HDMI_connector-male_2_sharp_PNr°0059.jpg

Last edited:

-Matt-

This one might be controversial round these parts but B&W PV1? (Pressure vessel design).
Screenshot_20220710-140924_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20220710-140744_Firefox.jpg

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not the whole bike, rather Buell's concept of mounting the brake caliper on the inner edge of the brake disk. (To maximise brake torque whilst keeping mass down).
View attachment 217484

Not sure if it is a good idea with regards to rotating mass but still an interesting concept.
I have a serious lack of interest in motorcycles; I wish we could move on.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BNC connectors (Bayonet Neill–Concelman). Very satisfying the way they lock into place.
View attachment 217485
Serious question... why does audio gear use RCA instead of these? Current carrying capability?

RCA is even used for coaxial digital, why, just because it is easier to make connections whilst leaning behind the tv cabinet?
Serious answer - cost!
An RCA socket is a lot cheaper than a BNC socket, especially those formed by bent metal on a paxolin sheet as was used in many amplifiers in the 1960s. By the time we got to 'fancy' RCAs, it was established as the standard. The DIN connector was a far better solution, (as long as you weren't making up your own interconnects), but the DIN standard for voltage and impedance was a mess, (essentially a current drive rather than voltage drive) so it never caught on.

BNCs are standard for analogue video and low power RF, test equipment inputs and outputs, unbalanced AES-EBU digital audio and a few other applications, but not where low cost is the predominant factor. They also take up more panel space than RCAs, as one has to allow enough space between them to turn the locking ring. On very dense panels, there are insertion tools available that allow close spacing, but that's something one never sees on consumer equipment.

S.

Last edited:

-Matt-

Fanless, silent, CNC case for Intel NUC (by Tranquil PC)...
Screenshot_20220710-142326_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 217484

Rotational force added may make the front tire sick better at high lean angles (on the other hand, the opposite force may cause it all to be the same). I like it anyway. Harley-Davidson did not support Buell's engineering very well & was IMHO, was a great waste to the Harley-Davidson Brand. All though I have owned a Harley, the only thing they currently make that I even remotely like is their Pan America that can take one off of the beaten roads. But I really haven't paid much attention to them since the V-Rod left. Some people are doing cool things with them, though:
dual-sport-motorcycle.jpg

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not quite sure what to make of Teenage Engineering's Computer-1 PC case: On one hand, it seems like it would be kind of inconvenient as it's held together by a bunch of self-tapping screws and not ideal for someone who frequently tinkers with the insides of their computer. But OTOH, it's a flat-pack PC case! And if it becomes damaged or obsolete, it's almost entirely made of aluminum, so I suppose you could simply toss it into the recycling bin.
T-A Computer-1.jpg

https://teenage.engineering/products/computer-1

Top Bottom