• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What are we listening to right now..

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For the past several days I've been listening to the late piano legend, Glenn Gould, especially his two landmark recordings of Bach's Goldberg Variations.
1650319447132.png

As a young man in 1955, Gould recorded the complete Goldberg's, and the recordings set the classical music world on fire. Just a year or so before his death, a much matured Gould recorded them again in 1981. Both recordings are included in this release.

I am listening on Amazon's "Ultra HD" streamed version which is probably about 24/96 or more. What is remarkable -- other than the surely different performances by a young, then an older Gould is the difference in sound quality.

Glenn Gould was known as a 'nut' for recording quality throughout his life. It suited his total immersion in the music he performed. So, in addition to the 25-year difference in performance, the quality of the recordings is interesting to compare. And the differences are resounding [unintentional].

Like others who have recorded piano seriously, we consider that instrument among the most difficult to get right. (Or, just to figure out what is right.) You see, more than most instruments, the piano plays the room. Without the room's sound, the piano loses much of its character. And recording it is very much a matter of the environment.

At any rate, if you are of a similar mind, try this recording at home. You will hear a young musician, recorded at the state of the art of 1955, and the much-matured artist playing as he wishes, state of the art 1981. The differences in both performance and recording are vast.

-Just one man's view, er, um, hearing.

d3adf1sh

41172_gd.jpg

Grateful Dead - Europe '72 Vol. 3: City Hall, Newcastle, England 4/11/72 (Live)​

So my birthday was last week and I had one of those long strange nights and decided since it's the 50th anniversary of Grateful Dead's super successful Europe '72 album and i own "Europe '72 The Complete Recordings" box set, i would play the date closest to my birthday which ended up being 4/11/72 and WOW!!! what a show! straight face melt material! I can't believe you don't here more people raving about this show, but when you do it's nothing but praise. awesome show from start to finish. in the second set they shoot a rocket deep into space but bring it back and and finally set you down so soul stirringly smooth with the rarely played "brokedown palace" you'll be left with nothing but a big grin where your face use to be. basically a hidden gem and so far my favorite show from the tour. They are (re)releasing the complete 5/26/72 show, which was the last show on the tour, for the 50'th celebration and is suppose to be the best one from the tour, but i'm still sitting on that one and probably check it out next month. but for now, this one ROCKS!!!

and even though the box set is long out of print, you can still get purchase a lossless download from nugs.net (amazon only does mp3) ✌️
https://www.nugs.net/live-download-...-streaming/16499.html?cgid=ARTIST-461#start=1

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Discovered this group via Spotify. I am now a fan. Listening to this album

Attachments

• 1650331903921.jpeg
    1650331903921.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 45

Axo1989

Major Contributor
In case you were missing dark Lana:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Doug MacLeod & Charlie Musselwhite ‘Come to Find’ JVC xrcd. Great musicians and a first rate recording.

0525F5F7-005A-4293-9904-6C11F05D91E4.jpeg

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Other Spaniards would post the famous Celtas Cortos song of the day. But I´m not other Spaniards...

Top Bottom