• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AI and Future of Music Production

Karmacoma

Forum Donor
This quote doesn't sum up my thoughts well (it's my bad). I've watched your video. Just like everything I've heard that's AI generated it's just really not engaging (euphemism for garbage).

Ai will have a very hard time exiting the '' uncanny valley '' and even when it will, it'll just be a very fast copyist <---- (that's more of a quote that sums up my message).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This quote doesn't sum up my thoughts well (it's my bad). I've watched your video. Just like everything I've heard that's AI generated it's just really not engaging (euphemism for garbage).

Ai will have a very hard time exiting the '' uncanny valley '' and even when it will, it'll just be a very fast copyist <---- (that's more of a quote that sums up my message).
Sure, it’s may not be there yet, but it’s really close, and given that it came basically came out of nowhere and moving really fast, it’s just a matter of time.

By this time next year, probably every new song will have some AI element, and you won’t know…

Karmacoma

Forum Donor
Sure, it’s may not be there yet, but it’s really close, and given that it came basically came out of nowhere and moving really fast, it’s just a matter of time.

By this time next year, probably every new song will have some AI element, and you won’t know…
Yes you're right, there'll be AI elements curated by a human brain. As i said AI is a powerfull tool, but very far from what i was sold, i think i won't be happy with it until it's renamed .

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes you're right, there'll be AI elements curated by a human brain. As i said AI is a powerfull tool, but very far from what i was sold, i think i won't be happy with it until it's renamed .
It’s also called an Intelligence Quotient (IQ) regardless of its value ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I think I want to hear something like Tom Waits singing Nessun Dorma. That'd be awesome.

EERecordist

AES_AiMusician_Conference_1200x675_3.png.webp

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Renamed? I guess you mean that it's not intelligence. But artificial turf is not turf, it's something that mimics turf. There's no expectation that artificial anything (leather, meat, color, flavor, flowers) is indiscernible from what it mimics, so I don't see why AI is any different.

I think it's already exited the uncanny valley, that's why everyone is stunned that it happened this quickly. If it can fool the average person, it's not in the uncanny valley.

At the moment, udio has a touch of the uncanny valley for me, personally, particularly in the vocals sometimes being "over the top", a bit of a caricature of the style, as compared with suno. But udio is still in beta, and is cleaner that suno. It won't take much improvement for it to be extremely convincing. A lot of musician already prefer it.

I've played some suno output for musicians, and they couldn't tell. My brother-in-law, and electrical engineer and musician on the side, had me sing on a song of his. On his birthday recently, I sent him a country-style suno song with the lyrics from his song. Suno kicks out two at a time, I sent him both. One was more authentically country, the other the modern country that's pretty much a basic rock tune with twangy vocals and the typical country harmonics. He said he liked the second one best, as being closer to his original. He asked if I sang everything on both. I told him everything was AI generated. I gave him another example of suno output, he asked who the female singer was. That's not the uncanny valley.

Also not in the uncanny valley: AI voices for dialog. AI recreations of celebrity voices. AI video generation...

You could find fault with this, but honestly, if this were an opening scene to a show set in the gold rush, with titling and opening credits, with music behind it...how much better would it need to be before you didn't notice that none of it is real?

EERecordist

I don't think this has been discussed. Major social media platforms license music from the owners. That incluses Tik Tok, YouTube, etc. Universal was unable to agree with Tik Tok on licensing terms. It is reported the issue was extremely low payments to the musicians and user-created AI content using the music.

They recently announced they have come to agreement.

Top Bottom