• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
My retro fashion accessories of today :)
New glasses and NOS Dugena chronograph.

dugena.jpg

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Photograph of Neelam Sanjiwa Reddy
India 1979
Gift from the Indian President to Erich Honecker on the occasion of his state visit to India
Paper, glass and metal

so000345.jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Start a 'fractional ownership" LLC, like they do with jets and timeshares.;) And then, you can wear any dang watch you please!
My trusty Panerai Submersible today.
Would you let me rent it for a few months? or swap - for awhile - with my BRO3-92?
IMHO, best thing about Pannies are straps!
Someone earlier was talking about down-payments :oops: selling all those Pannie straps (minus 1), will get you the down-payment as long as your credit score is not in shambles.

sifi36

Simply a great looking watch. IMHO a timeless design. Would love to sell both my SuperOcean and my even older TAG. But those would only make a down payment :D
The masses never notice it so I don’t feel subconscious wearing it around clients or out in public, which was my concern before getting it. The ones that know are watch guys themselves so it’s great as a conversation starter.

Putting it on still puts a smile on my face everyday and I’m truly grateful to have it. If you ever have the opportunity, I don’t believe you’ll regret it.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Putting it on still puts a smile on my face everyday and I’m truly grateful to have it. If you ever have the opportunity, I don’t believe you’ll regret it.

Very nice watch.

E1tj5CQXsAABOmY.jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Omega Seamaster Titanium

Omega-Seamaster-Professional-Titanium-Unisex-2000-2010_1579975457_3034.jpg
I talk a buddy out of buying a Rolex and into this Omega Titanium Omega Seamaster [Mainly because it was Titanium 1st and an Omega 2nd].
The looks still haven't gotten old... since late 1990s.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I respect others choices, always, and I know smart watches can provide many important health data points. That said, personally I need a mechanical watch on my wrist and nothing else need apply. I love the craftsmanship that goes into it. I have taken 3 watch-making.classes in Switzerland with an equally minded friend.

Some of the stuff smart watches do seem mockery to me ... I know when I sleep like crap and do not need a smartass watch to remind me and mock me on top the next morning, for example.. :-D

I collect machanical watches because.. my Dad gave me.one when I was 7 years old (a Certina, long gone brand) and yeah, you never grow out of it. And they are eminently.functional at what they do.
Certina is still very much around, by the way. I have a high-accuracy quartz Certina DS-2 Chronograph that is less than five years old. Very clever movement notwithstanding it is a quartz. It contains a temperature-compensated quartz crystal and is accurate to 15 seconds a year.

It is one of maybe four quartz watches in my collection of 60 or so. :)

Rick "also venturing into watchmaking...again" Denney

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone ventured into 3-D watchmaking yet?
It could become the "wave of the future", "wave of the future", "wave of the future"! [<< DiCaprio/Aviator]
Clocks, yes. Watches, not so much (except for cases). 3D printers lack the resolution for mechanical watch parts at present.

CNC subtractive machining? Absolutely. Robotic assembly and laser machining? You bet.

Rick "but by watchmaking I really mean watch repairing and servicing" Denney

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is crazy!:oops:
Replacement B&R silicone bands go for around $200. These on the other hand:
View attachment 299073
Last about a few years and I just stocked up by ordering 2 each (blue).
I ordered last week:
  • Ordered From: aliexpress.com (Yes, China)
  • Order date: Jul 12, 2023
  • Total Price: $21.50
  • Delivery Date: July 20, 2023
But wait! There is More:
202307_BR03WatchStrapsSilicone.jpg

Notice the differences between straps ordered and straps received.
Bands received have Bell&Ross logos, both on the outside and the inside.
They also sent me 2 [useless] pin insert/extract tools + 8 [also useless] pins + 7 [reusable] ziplocs.
None of these were advertised.

Now, I feel like I am in illegal possession of [very useful] contraband.:mad: But have no shame!

Top Bottom