• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vinyl remains officially the least popular way to listen to music albums in the UK

Tks

Major Contributor
Again, good graphics require a larger format, 12" x 12" being a particularly good size.
Since we're all looking at the eventual retirement of these sorts of mediums, a simple download code for the native uncompressed file in perhaps PDF form would be ideal. Then we can print our own if we were ever fanatics about this ordeal of display. No need to stop at 12" x 12" by this hope.

Loonabae

CD being going strong for years there are tons of music on CD, not on LP or streaming/download. I've had pro streaming 20 somethings bully people out of using Disc drives on there PC for dumb reasons.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Big Box stores usually had a thinner margin. Borders, Wherehouse, Tower. Little stores often have to deal with one-stops, mean they paid more than the big stores. One little store I worked at invested a lot of money so they could deal direct with the record companies, like BMG and Sony...
In my town we had local 'specialty' record stores, mostly catering to specific interests. Jazz, R&B or black music (mostly 45s), etc. I guess it's the only way they could make $$. Going after the small market big chains neglected.

I used to frequent one small shop that carried a lot of odd-ball imports. A company called JEM did the importing. I guess JEM as a distributor took their cut; I recall import albums were always more expensive. I still have some with the original plastic covers. Usually the actual record was not shrink wrapped, but came in a loose fitting vinyl sleeve displaying the JEM sticker.

stanshall.jpg

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But certainly illegal, at least here, and I would think anywhere that copyright is a legal entity.
One of the big record execs, I don't recall who, was totally against CDs. He was said to have asked, "Why would we give away our masters?" which was essentially what a CD was. However, with 'remasters' (it seems like every couple of years there's a Pet Sounds re-re-re master) and special sets, I don't think any record company exec is starving due to lack of sales. With streaming subscriptions, where one is essentially 'renting' access to the music, it's come full circle. I don't have a streaming account, but I presume one can copy the stream and store it if one is interested in doing that? My guess is that most people don't bother.

Robin L

Master Contributor
But certainly illegal, at least here, and I would think anywhere that copyright is a legal entity.
I don't know how much copyright laws are enforced in the UK, but all the used record shops I've known sold promo copies, usually festooned with a legal notice [essentially saying 'not for sale']. And I've been witness to this for something like 45 years.

Robin L

Master Contributor
One of the big record execs, I don't recall who, was totally against CDs. He was said to have asked, "Why would we give away our masters?" which was essentially what a CD was. However, with 'remasters' (it seems like every couple of years there's a Pet Sounds re-re-re master) and special sets, I don't think any record company exec is starving due to lack of sales. With streaming subscriptions, where one is essentially 'renting' access to the music, it's come full circle. I don't have a streaming account, but I presume one can copy the stream and store it if one is interested in doing that? My guess is that most people don't bother.
It's doable alright. Compared to the bad old days of mix tapes on cassettes, derived from LPs or even other cassettes, there's nothing to it. But, of course, this goes full circle to issues of hoarding/collecting.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know how much copyright laws are enforced in the UK, but all the used record shops I've known sold promo copies, usually festooned with a legal notice [essentially saying 'not for sale']. And I've been witness to this for something like 45 years.
I don't either, probably not at all, but once you sella CD you no longer have the right to keep a copy.
Also most download services are only leasing the copyright to the original person downloading, so unlike a stack of LPs or CDs strictly you can't leave a hard drive full of downloads to your kids.

xr100

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's doable alright. Compared to the bad old days of mix tapes on cassettes, derived from LPs or even other cassettes, there's nothing to it. But, of course, this goes full circle to issues of hoarding/collecting.

Convenience is what you pay for with streaming. "All you can eat" music wherever you are with no action on the user's part, no need to "organise" anything...

The mushrooming of streaming video services, on the other hand, I suspect poses more likelihood of resorting to "file sharing" due to the mounting cost of maintaining multiple subscriptions. And yes, this includes straight copies of the stream with encryption removed. But then again, for most people, it's less hassle to just hit the "NETFLIX" button on the remote control...

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Convenience is what you pay for with streaming. "All you can eat" music wherever you are with no action on the user's part, no need to "organise" anything...

The mushrooming of streaming video services, on the other hand, I suspect poses more likelihood of resorting to "file sharing" due to the mounting cost of maintaining multiple subscriptions. And yes, this includes straight copies of the stream with encryption removed. But then again, for most people, it's less hassle to just hit the "NETFLIX" button on the remote control...
I suspect it's only a matter of time before I get one of those LG phones that sound good. My Moto? Don't have enough gain, my Kindle Fire, same thing. Compared to the bad old days of very heavily compressed streams it's still an improvement as regards sonics. I'm out of the collection game, no room or desire to hang on to packaging for storage. But a phone that sounds as good as my Fiio players is on my "to do" list.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I don't either, probably not at all, but once you sella CD you no longer have the right to keep a copy.
What it sez on the promo package is that you don't have the right to sell that copy.

Hypnotoad

"Vinyl remains officially the least popular way to listen to music albums in the UK"

I would have thought it would be cassette tapes. ;)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also most download services are only leasing the copyright to the original person downloading, so unlike a stack of LPs or CDs strictly you can't leave a hard drive full of downloads to your kids.
An unenforceable stricture. Has to be in place to prevent someone from setting up a business reselling files. Short of some sort of on-line activation as with PC software, I don't see how it could be enforced. Maybe file sharing is popular among kids. It would surprise me if adults engage in it much, but who knows? I have never shared a music file. Maybe if I had some friends it might be different. :confused:

Robin L

Master Contributor
An unenforceable stricture. Has to be in place to prevent someone from setting up a business reselling files. Short of some sort of on-line activation as with PC software, I don't see how it could be enforced. Maybe file sharing is popular among kids. It would surprise me if adults engage in it much, but who knows? I have never shared a music file. Maybe if I had some friends it might be different. :confused:
Kids, for the most part, just stream. Older luddites hooked on physical formats might want a long oop disc on a CD. And there's loads of out of print discs that no one bothers to claim rights to.

xr100

One of the earliest attempts I can remember at an online music service was Liquid Audio. (The Wikipedia article linked to says the company was founded in 1996, which sounds about right to me.) IIRC, the lossy compression system used was licensed from Dolby, and, of course, it used DRM.

In the early days of the iTunes Music Store, all downloads were encrypted. It wasn't too long, though, before "they" gave up and the downloads were not encrypted. All attempts from SCMS (DAT) on to prevent copying ultimately failed.

Online piracy activities do not necessarily require friends! Not sure what you mean by "adult" but I'm sure plenty do. Compared to the heyday of Napster and KaZaA, though, it's probably relatively niche these days as everything is on YouTube, and for those who want lossless, the emergence of high quality streaming services tends to render it a poor use of time. (He says whilst engaging in the timesink that is forum messaging!)

Last edited:

xr100

Kids, for the most part, just stream. Older luddites hooked on physical formats might want a long oop disc on a CD. And there's loads of out of print discs that no one bothers to claim rights to.

As much as a great deal of formerly somewhat obscure content, especially if you wanted it in digital form and not vinyl (or a YouTube upload of dubious quality) has been re-released and is now available on streaming services, there remains a frustrating amount of material that is not available.

Anything "OOP" that I acquire on CD gets an immediate "Exact Audio Copy" to FLAC. I don't use CD players anymore. In fact I've hardly used them for about 20 years.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything "OOP" that I acquire on CD gets an immediate "Exact Audio Copy" to FLAC. I don't use CD players anymore. In fact I've hardly used them for about 20 years.
I was an early adopter of file based music, or at least ripped CDs so i could listen whilst travelling. I gave up and went back to LPs and CDs when I retired in 2009, mainly because of the completely shite file tagging standards and my extreme lazyness about re-tagging every rip sensibly (for me)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what you mean by "adult" but I'm sure plenty do.)
I guess anyone with a steady job and living independently. Not a student. In all my time working, I don't ever recall copying a CD and giving it away--maybe loaning an original out. I did that a few times. Not exactly sure I got them back. LOL

During the days of cassettes I made a few copies of LPs and gave them to friends. Problem with cassette copies is that they hardly ever sounded as good on another's machine, unless they had one of the high end Nakamichis or another with azimuth adjustments--I don't think I knew anyone that had one of those. Also, Dolby incompatibilities between decks, etc. Cassettes were not hi-fi in my book--just something for your car--and for a limited time until the plastic melted or the machine ate the tape. In any case, record company execs were not too concerned about that. There was some talk about a 'tape tax' to cover piracy, but I don't think that ever materialized in the US. The big thing came with CD, because of the master tape-like quality. And now downloads.

Maybe you are correct that a lot of adults file share. I never knew anyone that did. But I don't know everyone so my experience is limited.

Top Bottom