• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 not producing sound until I replug the USB cable

maxwsc

Hey there, it's been two instances now when E30 has crapped out on me seemingly out of nowhere.

I have it plugged into phone charger and directly into an power strip outlet, so it's powered 24/7 and goes into standby when not used/I turn off the PC. It's always been like this ever since I got it and it never was a problem up until now. Same goes for the data connection - I have it hooked up to MiniFuse 1's USB hub and that connected to my PC with USB-C - USB-C cable. My setup's been like this for the past year and it was no issue. Two days ago when I left my PC on with a twitch stream after I went to take a shower, I came back to the stream crashed and no sound in the entire computer whatsoever, restart fixed it.

Today, upon boot I had no sound whatsoever, I unplugged and plugged the E30 data USB cable and it worked straight away. To troubleshoot this further, my MiniFuse 1 started up just fine and is picking up sound and lets my record with my XLR mic, so I'm isolating this issue to the E30 itself or it's connections. If it was my motherboard, I assume MiniFuse wouldn't start as well.

Has anyone else stumbled upon such an issue before? The most interesting thing about it is E30 displays USB connection and 44.1 PCM, so judging by the LCD display, everything is okay, but it doesn't generate sound. It seems to be random, I can't reproduce the issue anyhow. Please help.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Windows is known for turning on power management on USB hubs and ports after an update. Check device manager and uncheck it for all hubs and ports.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Same on mac, usb needs to be active when dac turned on. You mightbhave a glitch though

OP
M

maxwsc

Windows is known for turning on power management on USB hubs and ports after an update. Check device manager and uncheck it for all hubs and ports.
In general I wouldn't mind doing this, but I never had this problem before and nothing actually changed in my system, I also never had to tamper with this option before.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
For me, the very latest Window 11 update caused a situation where the PC wouldn't shutdown. I've never had this before. I bit of digging and it turned out to be USB power management. I think it's worth you investigating this because something seems to be different with recent Windows builds.

OP
M

maxwsc

For me, the very latest Window 11 update caused a situation where the PC wouldn't shutdown. I've never had this before. I bit of digging and it turned out to be USB power management. I think it's worth you investigating this because something seems to be different with recent Windows builds.
You actually might be onto something, I recall a situation where my Windows 11 outright refused to shut down recently, it might have been after an update too. My keyboard also started acting up, sometimes not typing at all for a few seconds or just typing last character input endlessly, which would look like it was spamming spacebar for example. Would you suggest turning off the USB power management then? Or would a more permanent solution would be to reformat Windows with all the latest updates integrated?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You actually might be onto something, I recall a situation where my Windows 11 outright refused to shut down recently, it might have been after an update too. My keyboard also started acting up, sometimes not typing at all for a few seconds or just typing last character input endlessly, which would look like it was spamming spacebar for example. Would you suggest turning off the USB power management then? Or would a more permanent solution would be to reformat Windows with all the latest updates integrated?

Change your keyboard to a basic wired one. Wireless keyboards can be a nightmare with USB power management and windows, when it decides to be difficult. If there's any extra BS on your keyboard (extra USB jacks/audio/RGB lighting/keyboard software etc) scrap it altogether.

OP
M

maxwsc

Change your keyboard to a basic wired one. Wireless keyboards can be a nightmare with USB power management and windows, when it decides to be difficult. If there's any extra BS on your keyboard (extra USB jacks/audio/RGB lighting/keyboard software etc) scrap it altogether.
It is a wired keyboard actually, it's a custom DZ60 keyboard, funnily enough, also wasn't touched or disassembled in ages and I refuse to believe my audio and keyboard started acting up at the same time, I think problem lies somewhere else.

Roland68

Major Contributor
It is a wired keyboard actually, it's a custom DZ60 keyboard, funnily enough, also wasn't touched or disassembled in ages and I refuse to believe my audio and keyboard started acting up at the same time, I think problem lies somewhere else.
I hear more and more often about contact problems with USB-C connectors when they are plugged in frequently. Above all, these problems are often indefinable because the device first works, then doesn't, and then works again after plugging it in again.
You could try if the problem still occurs with a new cable.

Top Bottom