• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t use the word “bargain” lightly, but in this case it’s true. The EtherREGEN is one of high-end audio’s bargains. If your audio system uses Ethernet for streaming audio, you owe it to yourself to try the EtherREGEN.
I believed advertisements were forbidden here...:rolleyes:

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Serious NERD TEST by someone far more technical than I. He likes it:

Summary
The UpTone EtherREGEN is one of those rare products that delivers high-end audio performance at an affordable price. Not only does it deliver “surprisingly audible sonic improvements” as claimed, it holds its own against the best-sounding competing products out there, that cost 3x its price or more.
☺️
Thanks, I needed a good laugh!

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It says "Not only does it deliver “surprisingly audible sonic improvements” as claimed..." so I assume they have some statistics from double-blind listening sessions? If they don't, then this "surprisingly audible sonic improvement" is just in his head. Somewhere between imagination and delusion. Listening to something then pronouncing "this sounds better" is utterly meaningless without a reproducible method of measuring the reality involved (if any)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
it holds its own against the best-sounding competing products out there, that cost 3x its price or more.

So it 'holds it's own' against other useless garbage that only exists to take your money?

Whether or not it convinces the skeptics, I for one applaud

Cool.

So, you joined the forum to post that 'review?'

I hope it gets better.

patrickd

☺️
Thanks, I needed a good laugh!
HIM: "Starting with his Ph.D. research on computer networks, and extending over his professional career, his area of expertise is the performance and scalability of distributed computing systems. Tuning and optimization are in his blood. He is guided by the scientific method and robust experimental design. That said, he trusts his ears, and how a system or component sounds is always the final determinant in his findings. He does not need every audio effect to be measurable, as long as it is consistently audible."

I'm no EE or network engineer, so I guess this is the battle of the nerds.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
"I'm a doctor, and I smoke Camels." Or drink Coke, or whatever... I'm an EE, with a computer engineering degree as well, and would not put up my experience with distributed processors as relevant to audio devices. Nor do I fully trust my ears -- far too many DBT/ABX tests over the years that prove how fallible they can be (mine and others'). And my world-view, shaped by decades of research and practical experience, is that I can measure things well below the threshold of audibility.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
He is guided by the scientific method and robust experimental design. That said, he trusts his ears, and how a system or component sounds is always the final determinant in his findings. He does not need every audio effect to be measurable, as long as it is consistently audible.

So, where was his robust experimental design in that 'review?'

Didn't see any controls...

patrickd

What's the question?
64 pages ad you didn't figure that out? Whether this doohickey is worth it! :cool: I'm looking for devices that give me 5, 10, 15% increases in audible performance, not .5, 1, 1.5% so I am always wary of the next best thing magic box. I'm cheap and wary! AbSound reviewer loved it too, so I guess you pays yer money and takes yer chances. God knows there is no shortage of dubious tweaks, some quite expensive.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

patrickd

"I'm a doctor, and I smoke Camels." Or drink Coke, or whatever... I'm an EE, with a computer engineering degree as well, and would not put up my experience with distributed processors as relevant to audio devices. Nor do I fully trust my ears -- far too many DBT/ABX tests over the years that prove how fallible they can be (mine and others'). And my world-view, shaped by decades of research and practical experience, is that I can measure things well below the threshold of audibility.
RE "Nor do I fully trust my ears"
I certainly don't trust mine as far as technical analysis goes, to an extent, and that's why audiophilia is personally frustrating. That and all the variables that make auditioning gear under less than "perfect" or controlled circumstances exhausting. Unless one can test that new box under consideration (eg, I am shopping preamps) in one's own system, controlling for all the other variables, rather than trying to do it in a store where everything else is different... frustrating. I would hire someone with a brilliant set of ears and vast hifi experience to help me put together a system, if I had the means (if I'd retired from Microsoft w/stock options, for example!). Someone with ears that are younger and better than my 64 y/o models (measure things well below the threshold of audibility ... don't need that) ! Just trying to achieve component synergy, where everything plays well together, is difficult. The beat goes on. In the end, I am much more interested in listening to music vs fiddling with and testing hardware, with the latter being only the means to an end. FWIW.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if this one would be willing to go for my charity prize.

patrickd

Clearly...
I'm new posting here, but i have years on other audio forums and 30 years with good hi-fi systems. I love mining good and thoughful opinions, knowing that at some point it becomes subjective. Do you like the sound or not? With a finite budget and time, I'll use any shortcut I can get to build the best system I can afford, capitalizing on other peoples' hours/days/weeks of testing, evals, auditions, reviews etc. God bless good reviewers and their efforts (amateur or pro). I am not a tweaker... don't have the patience.

Having been pounced upon in other forums for benign comments, questions, differences of opinion, and stunned by the snark and outright nastiness that some people spew ... I don't have time for it (this isn't in ref to your comment!). Cheers.

patrickd

It’s not. You won’t be able to tell the difference in a controlled test.
Which is EXACTLY why I am here reading this test and comments, and other reviews. $600+ bucks plus another 400 for the power supply Uptone recommended isn't chump change to me. I would rather put that towards the DAC I want when I decide on it. Cheers.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which is EXACTLY why I am here reading this test and comments, and other reviews. $600+ bucks plus another 400 for the power supply Uptone recommended isn't chump change to me. I would rather put that towards the DAC I want when I decide on it. Cheers.
If you’re actually sincere, suggest you go back and read the ASR review on page one and study what it says until you really understand why this object is outright theft and cannot in any way improve what you hear.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This gentleman doesn't know what he's talking about, I don't care how may degrees he claims to have.
The biggest clue you should take away is the claim he "trusts his ears". Human senses are the weakest thing we can use to base decisions on when done in a uncontrolled manner. Now if he gave you the compiled results from a bias controlled DBT along with the measurements to support his claims, then he might be on to something.
I once saw David Copperfield make a whole Boeing 747 completely disappear off a runaway, and I seen it with my own two eyes. Was it really gone? Or ever really there? Where's the supporting evidence?
Ever see the George C Scott movie The Flim Flam man?

patrickd

So it 'holds it's own' against other useless garbage that only exists to take your money?

Cool.

So, you joined the forum to post that 'review?'

I hope it gets better.
Posting an alternative review (by someone who has technical credentials) that comes to a different conclusion isn't an endorsement by me. I don't own this device nor have any investment (emotionally or financially) in it. If one is required or expected to march in lockstep with reviews here, Sieg Heil, and not post contrary opinions for the sake of debate, well maybe this isn't the forum for me. I also posted a review of it by Absolute Sound and their reviewer loved it and gives it a stellar rating. YMMV

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
If one is required or expected to march in lockstep with reviews here, Sieg Heil, and not post contrary opinions for the sake of debate, well maybe this isn't the forum for me.

Not at all, just an interesting choice as your 'hello new forum' post. It happened to be about a product that serves as one of the prime examples of the nonsense in high end audio and how easy it is to convince people to waste their money.

Welcome to the site.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a switch. If you need more outlets then buy a netgear for $40.

Top Bottom