• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade path for HD6xx?

hikari

Hi guys, I am currently using Fiio K5 Pro as my amp/dac to power my HD6xx. However, I felt it is slightly underpowered for my HD6xx as I would love more power. The reason lacking power is I set the preamp as -10 to reduce clipping based on the oratory1990's profile. Is there any recommendations to upgrade from here?

I am thinking to wait for the Topping L30 as Amp and E30 as DAC. Fiio K7 might be another good choice too. Btw, my budget is preferably as cheap as possible, around 300-400 dollar for both amp and dac. :)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Just buy a better amp. Atom or Schiit Magni Heresy 3+ what ever you can get for less money.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi guys, I am currently using Fiio K5 Pro as my amp/dac to power my HD6xx. However, I felt it is slightly underpowered for my HD6xx as I would love more power. The reason lacking power is I set the preamp as -10 to reduce clipping based on the oratory1990's profile. Is there any recommendations to upgrade from here?

I am thinking to wait for the Topping L30 as Amp and E30 as DAC. Fiio K7 might be another good choice too. Btw, my budget is preferably as cheap as possible, around 300-400 dollar for both amp and dac. :)

The K5Pro should be able to put out 140 mW which would be enough to reach 122dB SPL peak.
I would say it has sufficient available power.
Try it on high gain setting ?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
& if you want & DAC which I think you don't need my recommendation is SMSL M300 MKII for around 240$ and then you are set until either of them broke down.

OP
H

hikari

The K5Pro should be able to put out 140 mW which would be enough to reach 122dB SPL peak.
I would say it has sufficient available power.
Try it on high gain setting ?

Yeah, I tried it on high gain and almost reach the max volume haha. I would like some headroom to spare though.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Then you do not need more power but an amplifier with an even higher gain.
You currently have 10dB gain (3x) and would need to have at least +16dB gain (> 6x gain), maybe even more or a DAC with a higher output voltage.

The Heresy is 15dB gain (5.5x), the 4.5x of the Atom (13dB) also may not be enough or just barely enough.
I think that when you are in the market for an amp with higher gain and enough output power you could contact JDS labs. They probably can make you an Atom with gain you want/need.

It never hurts to have headroom.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
The Geshelli Archel2 Pro would also be an option, I think they do custom gain settings.
But maybe just get a decent DAC, I never have to use high gain with my E30 + Atom combo.

OP
H

hikari

If I buy the SMSL SP200 as an amp and use K5 pro as dac, is it recommended?

OP
H

hikari

I would be careful to the "level of upgrade", to preserve hearing also for higher age.. :oops:

Did you mean the SMSL THX amp would be overpowered? Haha, I would like some headroom so I won't be looking to upgrade as long as I can haha

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you mean the SMSL THX amp would be overpowered? Haha, I would like some headroom so I won't be looking to upgrade as long as I can haha
No I meant listening at high volume in general, as once damaged hearing cannot be repaired, or "upgraded" if you like :)

But in terms of specs with SMSL there would still be some reserve left, Amir measured 326mW@ 300ohm and HD6xx are rated at 500mW max. if I remember. Powered at max. they can be used as room speakers I guess.. o_O:)

I always remember nice warning Grado ships with their headphones:

"WARNING!!!
Grado Headphones are virtual state of the art in headphone design and the extremely low distortion at all volume levels makes listening to all kinds of program material a wonderful, pleasure-filled experience, however, the listener should exercise a reasonable amount of caution at all times when listening to any headphone of any brand or type. The tendency of people listening to headphones is to gradually increase the volume level. This volume level can be increased to a point, whereby, continuous listening at that level could seriously impair your hearing.

Grado headphones have been designed to resolve the smallest detail of any sound at any sound level, therefore, it is not necessary to listen to music at any but a reasonable level to achieve a full musical satisfaction.
Grado Headphones have an extremely low listening fatigue level, therefore, potential hearing impairment is significantly reduced over other headphones. We still strongly recommend, however, that you do not abuse your hearing by “overdoing” it.

Listen at reasonable levels and your hearing will be preserved. Cherish it, preserve it.

Happy Listening! "

Top Bottom