• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where to control the volume?

Taltalon

Hi All,

My desktop setup is a Mac mini M1 + DACAMPS such as Fiio K7, Topping EX5, Zen DAC v2 and various iBasso/Fiio dongles that I got over the years.
My speakers on the desk are Harman Kardon's SoundStick 4. It's powered 2.1 solution - and it has its own volume control (which is difficult to reach and annoying to mess with).

My Q: How should I control the volume for best audio experience?

My Fiio K7 is connected via RCA cables to the SoundSticks 4. I must use PRE mode instead of full LO mode from the RCA outputs, because the LO voltage seems too high for the SoundSticks as I get clipping sound on the right speaker. When the LO RCA output is configured as PRE - I can control the volume on the Fiio K7 that is going to the SoundSticks over the RCAs and this clipping issue is gone.

The Mac is connected via USB to the Fiio K7 - volume for now is controlled only from the K7 knob.

- Should I turn the SoundSticks 4 volume to the max and control the volume on the K7 or do something else?
- What's the best way to get less distortion if this is relevant here.

For now I turned the K7 Know to around 1-2 O'clock and the SoundStick 4 are not at Max - I dialed it down like 3 presses down (there is no way to know the real level :) ) - its not on max (where it beeps if u reach it). Is that OK?

Many Thanks
Tal

Last edited:

Golftee99

Another option is using the Mac volume control if convenient but with a slight penalty in dynamic range. You want to find each device sweet spot, called “gain staging” when you have multiple devices with their own volume controls, to set each device gain above its noise floor and just below clipping to produce your highest comfortable listening level. I suspect your current setup is already in the ballpark, with your speakers being the next limitation.

Top Bottom