• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Crazy Italians" :)

Omega Audio concepts - Essenziale speakers
a04ec9_601f7fab1985495c98a96e4bbf637926~mv2_d_3744_5616_s_4_2.webp

a04ec9_37aa2e2e6cd747e3bdff37e8ba31c906~mv2_d_1800_1200_s_2.webp

a04ec9_47db62211a364d51993e278e97246b4b~mv2_d_1800_1200_s_2.webp

Soundwaves micro speakers
a04ec9_f3913393fd39448fa63b6eec0f77aeb1~mv2_d_1800_1200_s_2.webp

a04ec9_f810a49e69f74b1d882ae091d3e1d067~mv2_d_1800_1200_s_2.webp

Last edited:

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What a fascinating thread. Loudspeakers are typically the most varied and outrageous audio components, but I think that Josh Stippich of Electronluv (LINK1) (LINK2) in Salt Lake City, Utah, is the wildest and most creative audiophile engineer/artist around these days. Josh's parents were artists and I have mentioned his exotic designs before. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the 2004 VSAC (Vacuum State of the Art) just two years after he founded Electronluv, and he is a fascinating character. Here are a couple of pics of his horns and amplifiers...strictly eccentric art and euphonic sound - the antithesis of AudioScience review - but there is room for both in my world.

Electronluv Horns.jpg

Electronlux Amp.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Wow, this thread is on fire again all of a sudden! :eek:

How about this for old times sake:
View attachment 90651

Reminds me of...
1604253751309.png

https://interestingengineering.com/...with-the-rapatronic-a-1950-engineering-marvel

:(

and, in the matter of dodecahedra -- don't forget the Design Acoustics D-12 (which might have already been mentioned in this thread a while back).
1604253926499.png

see pg. 28ff of https://worldradiohistory.com/Archi...iFI-Stereo/70s/HiFi-Stereo-Review-1973-01.pdf

Our church had one of these things up in the eaves for a while (quite a while) -- it was almost impressively not very good sounding.
1604254149953.png

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Regardless of any considerations of sound quality, (or WAF) I wonder just who buys these things?
How many get sold round the world and where?

They get made and shown at HiFi shows at considerable expense, then what? Or are their sales all one-offs to their dealers as demo stock?

Mind busy boggling.
S

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Some more crazy stuff at Electronluv (search revealed this manufacturer was mentioned in #71 by Mr. @Xulonn
Absolutely amazing the amount of time, effort, and money folks put into these DIY projects. That horn is really a thing of beauty (to my eyes). Part of it is that I've always been an absolute failure working with wood and at any artistic endeavors.
On the other hand I can bore and hone a auto/motorcycle cylinder straight and round to .0003.
We all have our own talents I guess. o_O
There are other "isobaric" designs, e.g., Linn, but the others mount both drivers inside and facing out. I cannot think of a valid justification for this arrangement which exposes the driver to possible damage.
Correct Kal, but it's all the rage to run speakers sans grills today. Same difference my mom used to say. LOL
Here are a couple of pics of his horns and amplifiers...strictly eccentric art and euphonic sound - the antithesis of AudioScience review - but there is room for both in my world.
Absolute things of beauty, I love it. A honest case for "who cares how accurate". I want it. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Can you say Flash Gordon

Nautilus_Thumb_MidnightBlue_4_0.jpg

SineWave

If you say so I could not disagree since I have no real knowledge of speaker design. But I do find it a little hard to swallow that the design of the GIVA line was done in a strictly form follows function manner. Sure seems to me the form was more to appeal to a good WAF with it's cutesy musical note shape? Then again I could be totally wrong?

414vivid.promo_.jpg

Jabba would approve.

StarWars Dancer.jpg

paddycrow

Forum Donor
I saw the GIYA G3 at AXPONA in 2019. I don't remember much about how they sounded, I think I blew through that room quickly. I do remember it being pretty nice, though.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Regardless of any considerations of sound quality, (or WAF) I wonder just who buys these things?
How many get sold round the world and where?

They get made and shown at HiFi shows at considerable expense, then what? Or are their sales all one-offs to their dealers as demo stock?

Mind busy boggling.
S
I'd love to see comprehensive numbers.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What a fascinating thread. Loudspeakers are typically the most varied and outrageous audio components, but I think that Josh Stippich of Electronluv (LINK1) (LINK2) in Salt Lake City, Utah, is the wildest and most creative audiophile engineer/artist around these days. Josh's parents were artists and I have mentioned his exotic designs before. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the 2004 VSAC (Vacuum State of the Art) just two years after he founded Electronluv, and he is a fascinating character. Here are a couple of pics of his horns and amplifiers...strictly eccentric art and euphonic sound - the antithesis of AudioScience review - but there is room for both in my world.

View attachment 90681

View attachment 90682

Awesome!

I love idiosyncratic and exotic audio gear and that guy's work is a blast to look at.

Whenever I see some wild speaker design I'm totally taken with the feeling "I'd love to hear what that sounds like!"

That's one reason I like audio shows, where I actually get to wander around and see and sample not just conventional stuff, but weird off the beaten path designs. In fact one totally weird design at the last audio show I attended used, I believe, lowther drivers surrounded by these gigantic plastic umbrella-like lenses that focused all the sound toward the listener. Whatever failings the speakers may have across a broad range of music, it produced the single most convincing experience of hearing a "real" classical guitar in front of me that I've ever had. Utterly clear, solid, tactile, in a way most of the other set ups didn't produce.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It says:

Horn-based omnidirectional 3D acoustical system [by the name of] "Phonotron".

There's no other information outside of pictures.

Looking at the site, it seems that these guys are furniture makers. This speaker belongs in their steampunk section.

They also have an active subwoofer named Valkyrie (controls for crossover frequency, phase and level on the front):
View attachment 90639

The style reminds of nautical decor.

Or an artisanal wine barrel

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Jabba would approve.
All this reminds me of the Diva from The Fifth Element
0fb7e1513231c5af1d17e352058c83a8.jpg

I love that movie, good classic scifi/comedy, maybe more so because of Milla Jovovich's part in it. I've always had a serious case of lust for her.
Watched every one of the Resident Evil movies more than once mainly due to her staring roll in them.
4-The-Fifth-Element-Revealed-Leeloo.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I saw the GIYA G3 at AXPONA in 2019. I don't remember much about how they sounded, I think I blew through that room quickly. I do remember it being pretty nice, though.
Don't remember exactly which model but our esteemed moderator Thomas Savage has a set that he absolutely loves, and I have very high regards for his opinions. I'm able to get away with often teasing him about his wife heavily influencing his purchasing decision of them, I won't repeat what he's quipped in return. LOL

Top Bottom