• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

paddycrow

Forum Donor
RDacoustic - "Evolution" + "Euphoria" speakers, for some more info, see #113

53241076_1917038921737901_620213197600718848_n-o4c5dv8omvkffj8djchul2g9ei5am22vhkmjql21a8.jpg
I wouldn't mind having that diffuser on the back wall.

Although, it looks like it would be a PITA to keep free of dust.

Last edited:
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I'm new to speakers, does "isobaric bass port" speakers count for this thread, or is it adopted by more manufacurers?
Wilson Benesch - Endeavour / Discovery II
There are other "isobaric" designs, e.g., Linn, but the others mount both drivers inside and facing out. I cannot think of a valid justification for this arrangement which exposes the driver to possible damage.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are other "isobaric" designs, e.g., Linn, but the others mount both drivers inside and facing out. I cannot think of a valid justification for this arrangement which exposes the driver to possible damage.

Theoretically, the less air between the diaphragms the better. And motor force and suspension asymmetries may be balanced out to some extent as a result of each diaphragm being in opposite motion to the other relative to its motor/suspension system.

Not sure how effective this would be in practice, but can see why, all else equal, such an arrangement would be optimal, in theory.

Last edited:
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Isobarik, meaning constant pressure. The two bass drivers move in phase, such that the pressure inside the box doesn't change.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobaric_loudspeaker
Invented by Harry Olsen in the 1950s so nothing new under the sun.
S.
Actually, pressure inside the box does change, but the pressure of the air enclosed between the two woofers membranes does not change. And yes, it is an old invention by genius Harry Olson. It cuts required box volume in half and lowers the second harmonic distortion.
Well, exposed back speaker frame is more sturdy than exposed fragile membrane facing out of the box. But ugly at worst... and "industrial look" at best.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, pressure inside the box does change, but the pressure between the two woofers membranes does not change. And yes, it is an old invention by genius Harry Olson. It cuts required box volume in half and lowers the second harmonic distortion.

Well, exposed back speaker frame is more sturdy than exposed fragile membrane facing out of the box. But ugly at worst... and "industrial look" at best.

Thanks for the correction. I meant the pressure in the box that's between the two woofers, not the box behind the first one which clearly has pressure changes. Should have been more specific as to which box!

S.

Top Bottom