• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, that's why they look like that. Sureeeeeeeeeeeee LOL
I hate the Giya styling and loved the B&W styling but it is true, getting a tapered bass absorber long enough to fit in the room means an unusual shape.
If the Giya didn't look so awful I may have been tempted - they are amongst the best sounding speakers ever IME.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
If you say so I could not disagree since I have no real knowledge of speaker design. But I do find it a little hard to swallow that the design of the GIVA line was done in a strictly form follows function manner. Sure seems to me the form was more to appeal to a good WAF with it's cutesy musical note shape? Then again I could be totally wrong?

414vivid.promo_.jpg
Klein Bottle enclosures.
Great for playing The Beatles' White Album.
Your inside is out, and your outside is in, so come on...

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But I do find it a little hard to swallow that the design of the GIVA line was done in a strictly form follows function manner. Sure seems to me the form was more to appeal to a good WAF with it's cutesy musical note shape? Then again I could be totally wrong?
Timestamped:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know if these were mentioned:
(full product brochure - worth taking a look, design-wise}

METAXAS & SINS - Sirens
Mataxas-Sins-The-Sirens-Floor-standing-speakers-850x600.jpg

metaxas_sins1.jpg

f.jwwb.nl%2Fpublic%2Fo%2Fm%2Fl%2Ftemp-hjsjpuswvkqqfipuveeo%2Fnixu9t%2FMetaxasThe-Sirens-speakers-from-Metaxas-Sins-770x651-1.jpg

3b87a78f6900fccf56fa2f070e298526.jpg
Just look carefully at the red ones ( the backside pic) they are designed to resemble a woman’s butt ;) what acoustical properties dictated that .
I understand the original nautilus or similar designs when the unusual form does follow a functional need. .
But they are unusual so perfectly on topic

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I'm new to speakers, does "isobaric bass port" speakers count for this thread, or is it adopted by more manufacurers?
Wilson Benesch - Endeavour / Discovery II
Unusual certainly, but probably not unprecedented. I didn't spot a technical description of the Capitalised Marketing Term, but it's probably a face-to-face driver arrangement. I think Linn coined the name with their Isobarik, but the arrangement may have been around before that.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unusual certainly, but probably not unprecedented. I didn't spot a technical description of the Capitalised Marketing Term, but it's probably a face-to-face driver arrangement. I think Linn coined the name with their Isobarik, but the arrangement may have been around before that.
Isobarik, meaning constant pressure. The two bass drivers move in phase, such that the pressure inside the box doesn't change.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobaric_loudspeaker

Invented by Harry Olsen in the 1950s so nothing new under the sun.

S.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
What the... :)

Google translated as "Phonotron", we need some russian speaking member here :) ...just for translation, not for sending it to Amir ;)
KIRA audiomanufacory
View attachment 90632
It says:
Рупорная, омниполярная 3D акустическая система "Фонотрон".
Horn-based omnidirectional 3D acoustical system [by the name of] "Phonotron".

There's no other information outside of pictures.

Looking at the site, it seems that these guys are furniture makers. This speaker belongs in their steampunk section.

They also have an active subwoofer named Valkyrie (controls for crossover frequency, phase and level on the front):
1604236477935.png

The style reminds of nautical decor.

Top Bottom