• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual Speaker Designs

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Actually castors would probably act like spikes or “feet”... concentrating the weight onto 4 points and stabilizing/coupling the speaker to the floor. Might not be quite as effective, but I doubt my not so golden ears would notice.
I often see images of Wilson Audio speakers on castors, and I believe it’s an option. Probably not the best idea for older homes with wacky foundations or earthquake prone regions... ; )
When you enjoy lots of added reverb
And really really muddy bass. If you wanted to watch your tonearm actually jump, you could cue up Telarc Digital’s 1812 Overture. Of course, your turntable will need be able to track it in the in the first place...

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought that someone would mention (my thought) Wilson Audio ... that's probably because moving those speakers from show to show need some wheels ...
Best indeed would be ideally 3 spikes/cones or 4 if it doesn't balance well.

But the turntable ... really :eek:, when you see how much spent on the rest of the gear ... :rolleyes:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And really really muddy bass. If you wanted to watch your tonearm actually jump, you could cue up Telarc Digital’s 1812 Overture.
Oh for -really- muddy bass you need a phono stage with no high pass filter. The output around resonance will be amplified massively spills up into the audio band. Mind you mo-bass is better for many TT fans,they don't understand that it is bogus dross they are getting.

SineWave

RadioShack2.jpg

RadioShck1.jpg

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have some of these. I could provide REW measures of them. I did so back in the spring. Don't know if I saved them, but they didn't measure too well.

I do recall when I had them in a bedroom system, they seemed most balanced if you place them high like say 5 feet off the floor and sat with your ears lower than that. There was lobing which made this sound much more balanced than listening with the speakers at ear height.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Would love to see measurements of these.

A flawed but certainly interesting design. From my murphyblaster.com website:

Measurements for the Radio Shack LX550
Here is the on-axis response for the Radio Shack LX550 loudspeaker, which combines a 5" kevlar woofer with the Linaeum dipole tweeter. The lack of output above 9 kHz is due to an on-axis null in the radiation pattern of the tweeter. In addition, the very short tone burst measurement method used does not capture the full contribution of the tweeter's back wave. Still -- the LX550 definitely lacks sparkle when listened to on-axis.
1602996566047.png
Here is the response 30 degrees off axis. The highs are back up to reference level, but a null develops lower down.
1602996632911.png
T

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Geithain's not available in NA as far as I know, so I've never had the chance to listen to these. I would count the design as unusual given how few try the cardoid/coaxial combo.
I asked them via email and apparently they will sell directly to a person in North America. That was 6 months ago, but I assume it is still true. Just mentioning FWIW. Practically speaking they are not really available unless you want to get them sight unseen.

carlosmante

Geithain's not available in NA as far as I know, so I've never had the chance to listen to these. I would count the design as unusual given how few try the cardoid/coaxial combo.
Those speakers are called "coaxial" but doesn't comply with the Etymology of Coaxial.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'll take their not 100% coax design over the LS50's "true" coax design any day of the week.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor