• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unlimited FIR taps? yes please

Davide

Define “right impulse response” and “transition band”.
What do I have to define exactly?
I mean, it's not like they are concepts invented by me.
That is to say that a Dirac pulse is perfectly preserved out of the crossover attenuation band, where normally this does not happen with minimum phase filters.
At least that's what I learned from Uli's White Paper.
Though About Crossovers by Dr. Ulrich Brüggemann
If I am doing something wrong, please correct me.

Last edited:

dc655321

Major Contributor
What do I have to define exactly?
I mean, it's not like they are concepts invented by me.
That is to say that a Dirac pulse is perfectly preserved out of the crossover attenuation band, where normally this does not happen with minimum phase filters.
At least that's what I learned from Uli's White Paper.
Though About Crossovers by Dr. Ulrich Brüggemann
If I am doing something wrong, please correct me.

No, i wouldn’t say you’re doing anything wrong, just using odd phrasing.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

Davide

No, i wouldn’t say you’re doing anything wrong, just using odd phrasing.
I have to translate everything so maybe some terms are not properly technical. I'm sorry.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The high cost (and power) of GPUs, especially now, has (and will) likely keep them out of mainstream AVR/AVP units
Cost is going down now and hardocore AV fans still use them, just look at MadVR Envy Extreme video processor.

SpaceMonkey

Successfully running my own GPU FIR filter, the code looks terrible but I'm gonna clean it and post it on GitHub, unfortunately vacation starts now and will be switching over to a Mac, will be able to tune it for mac users and make it cleaner, not much time until August.

Currently running 12 channels @ 64k taps @ 192khz @ 2048 samples = 1.024 Million Taps
and the load is... 4% on a Nvidia RTX 3080, 50% load for Max 8's

I should be able to bring that 50% down to almost nothing once the CPU side of things gets multi threaded (one thread per filter)

Right now this is a MAX 8 plugin, porting it to VST3 should be easy, or anything else interesting.
It is based of OpenCL instead of CUDA so should be compatible with Intel, AMD and Apple GPUs.

Max 8 has a FIR filter (buffir~) currently limited at 4096 taps max across the entire app, it is pure CPU and single threaded.
And if you don't know Max 8, you are missing out!
Hi, any progress on this?

Top Bottom