• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Universal Audio Apollo Twin X Review (Audio Interface)

Pach

If anything, this device looks robust and really aesthetically pleasing. I was thinking about getting this for my SM7B and a separate amp for headphones, but since I don't really make music, I think something like an RME ADI-2 Pro and a separate mic preamp would be a better fit for me.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If there's no suitable digital output to check the A/D converter, presumably you can set the unit to do A/D -> D/A. While that's not as good as raw testing the A/D it would give a good indication of performance...

It can be tested in a loop-back mode, D/A->A/D with a Mac or a PC driving it. This way you'll be testing both converters combined, something like this.

Nathan Raymond

I do this normally. As I explained however, there is no way for me to test the ADC on this unit because it only exposes a 64-bit ASIO interface which my Audio Precision 32-bit app cannot see. UA products are the only ones so far that I have seen this limitation. For all others I have a dedicated section for ADC.

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like since version 4.4.2 Audio Precision has had a 64-bit app:

https://www.ap.com/technical-library/ap-software-windows-version-compatibility/

Are you on an earlier release?

deprogrammed

It can function as a DAC for playback.

It also can record.

So microphone inputs for recording what is put in front of a microphone.

Guitar inputs for recording guitars.

Also has a headphone amp for both headphone playback and monitoring what is being recorded. Plus it has line outputs which can go to active speakers.

It has functions normally referred to as an audio interface or audio recording interface. Get some microphones, and a computer and you have all you need to create music tracks.

What is the difference between the monitor outs and the line outs? I assume only the monitor outs are volume controlled? If that is the case what are the line outs used for?
Sorry have a very limited knowledge of the pro stuff....

Tks

Major Contributor
Is he part of your design team?

No, John is a professional designer and general audio electronic enthusiast. John has done work for Topping for amplifier designs (he's basically responsible for all the latest amps from Topping, basically mopping the floor with the rest that were in the market), and seemingly has gotten interested in DAC chips and has been exploring their functionality on a per SKU basis it seems.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ESS will help you when you are their client. If you aren't, why would you expect they are going to tell us anything.
As far as I know their suggested design exhibits the hump. That can be a reason, maybe?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, John is a professional designer and general audio electronic enthusiast. John has done work for Topping for amplifier designs (he's basically responsible for all the latest amps from Topping, basically mopping the floor with the rest that were in the market), and seemingly has gotten interested in DAC chips and has been exploring their functionality on a per SKU basis it seems.
Yes, I just didn't know if he was freelance too and helped them.

shal

Dave Tremblay

Audio Company
Forum Donor
What is the difference between the monitor outs and the line outs? I assume only the monitor outs are volume controlled? If that is the case what are the line outs used for?
Sorry have a very limited knowledge of the pro stuff....

Monitor Outputs are the basic equivalent of a Line 1/2, but they have additional meaning in our software. Line 3/4 are extra line outputs for sending signals through outboard gear or additional sets of monitors.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If there's no suitable digital output to check the A/D converter, presumably you can set the unit to do A/D -> D/A. While that's not as good as raw testing the A/D it would give a good indication of performance...
That is exactly the test I ran which I included in the review:

index.php

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One can say it is a limitation of the measuring system. It looks like they have not updated their drivers for more than a decade. MacOS has been 64-bit OS since 2007 and Windows since 2009 (Windows 7!)
AP software has two threads. One is 64 bit but the other is 32-bit. The latter runs the UI and hence handles using Windows devices to drive signals. Since it is a 32-bit app, it doesn't see 64-bit-only ASIO drivers. I contacted them last year about this and this was their answer:

"Thank you for your email. At this time we do not support 64-bit ASIO drivers. I will add this case as a feature request on your behalf. Feature requests are considered by our development team for possible future implementation."

Even if they add this feature, I am not sure I can use it. AP stopped providing free updates to their software and now charges $1000/year for maintenance! So to get anything new I would have to cough up this much money which I am not about to do. They have added nothing of interest to me as of then.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
As far as I know their suggested design exhibits the hump. That can be a reason, maybe?
As far as I know in 2018 or 19 they have got newer evaluation board with issue fixed. And implementation I have ever involved in never had the hump.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Just another quick sort of on topic off topic. Gustard was able to eliminate the hump in X16 but their way of fixing it increases THD+N. So they chose to keep the hump and have the best THD+N/SINAD they could have. I don't see the issue considering the hump is already quite small. It's sort of prominent but that's because the noise floor is so low on that device.
It could be done with no hump and the same THD+N though. I can't tell exactly what causes or fixes the hump if you ask ESS they'd tell you the same. But certainly Vref, clock, layout related. Also for worst cases, resistor matching would help, changing opamp would help. It's one thing that everything just adds up to the final result. In a good design you don't even need differential amplifier in the end to have low distortion (unlike John from Benchmark had said before). I thought just using one arm of the output would be horrible until I actually measured it, difference is just a -130dB 2nd harmonic.

Top Bottom