• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Two-Way Coaxial Headphones

JSHamlet234

As I look at the measurements of over-ear headphones, I can't help but notice that basically all of them seem to suffer from cone breakup in the mid to upper treble. Am I correct in that presumption, or is the jagged treble perhaps the result of inherent flaws in the measurement process? Has a 2-way coaxial ever been attempted? I can't recall any.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
As I look at the measurements of over-ear headphones, I can't help but notice that basically all of them seem to suffer from cone breakup in the mid to upper treble. Am I correct in that presumption, or is the jagged treble perhaps the result of inherent flaws in the measurement process? Has a 2-way coaxial ever been attempted? I can't recall any.
I keep wondering about coax drivers too. The recently released blon bl30 with 70mm drivers got me thinking about it again. Theres room for a 15mm driver in center structure of those.

jonfitch

Never seen a 2-way coaxial before, but there are multi-driver hybrid designs, typically with different topographies. I don't think the multi-driver designs have really measured any flatter than single driver ones but maybe that wasn't the goal per se anyway, maybe just lower distortion.

Top Bottom