• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntables?

Tom C

Major Contributor
It has one of those coiled horns first designed by Western Electric for the theater loudspeakers. Even the metal diaphragm used in the reproducer is the same as used in the speaker. Hifi Heroin has one or two interesting posts on the topic

Wombat

Master Contributor
The metal disc(cone) pickup diaphragm was also used in 'resonator' guitars.

My Tricone 'galvo' is Donmo #292.

Last edited:

billybuck

If you have the curse of hearing minor pitch deviation (most people don't), I'd say go with either the direct drive Technics 1200 or the cheaper Audio Technica clone. The Technics are solidly built, so you could safely go used if the newer reissues are out of your price range.

If you don't hear minor pitch changes, the cheaper world of belt-drive is your oyster. The Rega or Pro-Ject entry level tables will do just fine at a minimum price, and of course you can go up from there as your budget permits.

Lenny

If you have the curse of hearing minor pitch deviation (most people don't), I'd say go with either the direct drive Technics 1200 or the cheaper Audio Technica clone. The Technics are solidly built, so you could safely go used if the newer reissues are out of your price range.

If you don't hear minor pitch changes, the cheaper world of belt-drive is your oyster. The Rega or Pro-Ject entry level tables will do just fine at a minimum price, and of course you can go up from there as your budget permits.

Hi:

About six months ago I purchased an Audio Technica 120xusb. It fit in my budget and improved overall sound quality of my system.

It came with an ATvm95e cartridge. It has a very nice well rounded sound. But always looking to improve or to explore, I purchased the Ortofon EM Pro S cartridge mounted on the headshell. It was fine. The sound produced had a warm feeling, though It seemed to lack a bit on the high end. I found out later that Ortofon cartridge was designed for DJ use.

Continuing my search for improved sound, I decided on purchasing the Ortofon Red 2M. I had given the ATvm95en a thought, it has a slightly better stylus design, but I filed the AT for future updates. It’s a bit more expensive than the Ref.

Concerning the Ortofon Red, I bought it mounted on the Red headshell. It arrived very well packed with a stylus brush, a mini screwdriver, and extra screws. It had a snap on stylus guard. It had a nice astatic look.

Of course, most important issue Is sound. Here it seems to excel. Note that I am comparing it to the other cartridges I have heard and used.

It provided a nice bright sound with a good midrange and a pretty solid bass. Now, some would prefer a stronger low end, but I’m not a big bass fan.

I tested it with some mellow folk rock, Neil Young’s “After the Gold Rush”. The music felt larger then my previous cartridges. I heard some guitar cords in a more revealing manner. Next, I played The Who’s “Quadraphenia” album. It’s a nice mix of classic rock sprinkled with some nice big sound background music. The Red did a great job. In all areas the music was well represented.

So, I’m very happy with this combo: the AT120x turntable and the Ortofon Red 2M cartridge.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
About six months ago I purchased an Audio Technica 120xusb. It fit in my budget and improved overall sound quality of my system. It came with an ATvm95e cartridge. Continuing my search for improved sound, I decided on purchasing the Ortofon Red 2M.
Each time I change carts I think, "This is really better than what it replaced." Then I go through my collection and wind back with what I started. Once you reach a certain level you are just making minor changes that are replaced by other minor changes. It's almost a silly game.

Line contact styli? OK, but then again a Denon DL103 ballpoint pen needle sounds great, too.

The best record playing invention was the Shure damped brush. In one of my systems I'm using an M97xE stylus in a V15Vx body. Nice combination. For a hybrid. Too bad Shure decided it wasn't worth the hassle to continue making cartridges.

Gotz to love me some pops n clicks! :cool:

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Each time I change carts I think, "This is really better than what it replaced." Then I go through my collection and wind back with what I started. Once you reach a certain level you are just making minor changes that are replaced by other minor changes. It's almost a silly game.

Line contact styli? OK, but then again a Denon DL103 ballpoint pen needle sounds great, too.

The best record playing invention was the Shure damped brush. In one of my systems I'm using an M97xE stylus in a V15Vx body. Nice combination. For a hybrid. Too bad Shure decided it wasn't worth the hassle to continue making cartridges.

I concur. I’ve been through a bunch of styli including several mono, and I’m now sticking with the basic Audio Technics VM 540. Cheap, replaceable stylus, no worrying about moving coil settings. Very good measurements by David Rich (https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...udio-technica-vm540ml-phono-cartridge-review/
). And it sounds perfectly fine. Mono button on amp as necessary.

Lenny

Hi:

About six months ago I purchased an Audio Technica 120xusb. It fit in my budget and improved overall sound quality of my system.

It came with an ATvm95e cartridge. It has a very nice well rounded sound. But always looking to improve or to explore, I purchased the Ortofon EM Pro S cartridge mounted on the headshell. It was fine. The sound produced had a warm feeling, though It seemed to lack a bit on the high end. I found out later that Ortofon cartridge was designed for DJ use.

Continuing my search for improved sounding
I decided on purchasing the Ortofon Red 2M. I had given the ATvm95en a thought, it has a slightly better stylus design, but I filed the AT for future updates. It’s a bit more expensive than the Ref.

Concerning the Ortofon Red, I bought it mounted on the Red headshell. It arrived very well packed with a stylus brush, a mini screwdriver, and extra screws. It had a snap on stylus guard. It had a nice astatic look.

Of course, most important issue Is sound. Here it seems to excel. Note that I am comparing it to the other cartridges I have heard and used.

It provided a nice bright sound with a good midrange and a pretty solid bass. Now, some would prefer a stronger low end, but I’m not a big bass fan.

I tested it with some mellow folk rock, Neil Young’s “After the Gold Rush”. The music felt larger then my previous cartridges. I heard some guitar cords in a more revealing manner. Next, I played The Who’s “Quadraphenia” album. It’s a nice mix of classic rock sprinkled with some nice big sound background music. The Red did a great job. In all areas the music was well represented.

So, I’m very happy with this combo: the AT120x turntable and the Ortofon Red 2M cartridge.

I first entered this hobby in the early 1980’s. My first decent turntable was a Pioneer PL 1 or 2 or some such designation. A Direct drive, cost a little over $200.

When I recently returned to this hobby after a 3 decade absence one of the first differences I noticed was the accessories included with a turntable purchase. When I bought the before mentioned Pioneer, it did not come with a cartridge.

At that time I knew next to nothing about audio. So after I bought the Pioneer, I was surprised that I had to buy a cartridge. I bought a Shure.

The dealer had a display case with several cartridges, most priced in the mid $40. I remember there was a line of Empire cartridges and a line of Shure. I picked the what I considered the nicest looking cartridge. Lol

I remember the Shure had a black or brown body and a white stylus that had “Shure” printed on the front.

It sounded fine to me.

Later, I purchased one of the Empire. I can’t say I noticed an improvement. In fact I remember favoring the Shure.

Funny thing, I didn’t know the first thing about attaching the cartridge. The headshell was included and attached to the tonearm. I just screwed in the cartridge and played music. I believe I balanced the cartridge, but I don’t remember.

GeorgeWalk

I have a Technics SL-1500 MKII that I bought new back in the day. Nice direct drive. The lifter mechanism no longer works (that is par for most of these units). I put an Ortofon Red cartridge on it and sounds pretty good. Especially when playing good vinyl like Mobile Fidelity Labs stuff.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When I got my Denon DL103R a year ago to replace my AT100E, I was floored by how much better it sounded - most specifically the bass. But I'm not going down the path to upgrading past this cart. It's a rabbit hole and all for a format which is inferior in so many ways.

levimax

Major Contributor
When I got my Denon DL103R a year ago to replace my AT100E, I was floored by how much better it sounded - most specifically the bass. But I'm not going down the path to upgrading past this cart. It's a rabbit hole and all for a format which is inferior in so many ways.

I was using a AT VM540 on a Technics SL-13000 (more or less automatic version of SL-1200) and then switched to a Denon DL103R. The sound was definitely different and for most records I prefer the Denon despite it's "primitive" conical stylus. On some records the AT does seem to track inner groves better... probably because of the more advanced stylus shape. I ran some "tests" using a test record and an Oscilloscope and the Denon is certainly much "flatter" response and it appears that AT does indeed deserve it's reputation as a "bright" cartridge. Of course all of this is subject to set up. The "Spikes" on Oscilloscope correspond to different the different test tones and should be "level" for flat response. I agree that upgrading much past this level of cart is an extreme exercise in diminishing returns as even a perfect cart would be limited by the format.

Attachments

• denon_103R_MC.png
    denon_103R_MC.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 90
  • at-vm540ML_MM.png
    at-vm540ML_MM.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 90

Midwest Blade

I have an Audio Technica AT 120eb on my Technics SL-1800 turntable, picked up this cartridge on clearance nearly 2 years ago. I only keep the turntable as I still have about 100 lp’s but I am generally either using Amazon HD or listening to a cd which I prefer by a long shot. Been tempted to upgrade to a newer turntable but I just do not see the point.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For another example, I excluded all tables that lack a cover with hinges. If it doesn't come with a cover then I need to buy an after market one, which are expensive, ugly and large, and I'd have to take it off find somewhere to put it while I play records. What do people with VPI, Clearaudio and all the others without a cover do? Dust them twice a week?

I tossed the thin plastic cover and put my TT in a cabinet with a cover made of thick glass - forget the name but may have been CWD.

The thick glass should give better acoustic isolation - it now houses a different analog device, a Leica slide projector.

A lot of the price in a good TT involves acoustic isolation from external sound & vibration. That is why I tell people to see if they can't put the TT in a nearby closet.

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I tossed the thin plastic cover and put my TT in a cabinet with a cover made of thick glass - forget the name but may have been CWD.

The thick glass should give better acoustic isolation - it now houses a different analog device, a Leica slide projector.

A lot of the price in a good TT involves acoustic isolation from external sound & vibration. That is why I tell people to see if they can't put the TT in a nearby closet.
That's clearly a good approach. But it's not going to work for everyone. The nearest closet I have that's deep enough is way off in another room. There's only so much inconvenience and custom wiring installation I'll put up with.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was using a AT VM540 on a Technics SL-13000 (more or less automatic version of SL-1200) and then switched to a Denon DL103R. The sound was definitely different and for most records I prefer the Denon despite it's "primitive" conical stylus. On some records the AT does seem to track inner groves better... probably because of the more advanced stylus shape. I ran some "tests" using a test record and an Oscilloscope and the Denon is certainly much "flatter" response and it appears that AT does indeed deserve it's reputation as a "bright" cartridge. Of course all of this is subject to set up. The "Spikes" on Oscilloscope correspond to different the different test tones and should be "level" for flat response. I agree that upgrading much past this level of cart is an extreme exercise in diminishing returns as even a perfect cart would be limited by the format.

What software and test LP is that, and does the combo allow for THD measurement as well?

Robin L

Master Contributor
I thought "warm" was associated with lots of second harmonic distortion.
Nope. Some of that "warm" are parts rattling in time to the music.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I come from the era where the cheapest 'Black' model was actually more truthful to the master than any of the Reds/Rosewoods/Onix and so on which always sounded lush, softened and the 'velvet halo' quality dampened surface noise well, along with fine reverb detail (no doubt made up for with the ARC valve phono stages quite often used with the things.

Me? I love the trials and frustrations of a good tipped and 'Podded' Decca! Om a suitable arm and player, I was happily able to compare the sound with master-copies I then had and it was never found wanting - too damned unreliable though and other pickups have come along now which have a similar neutral dryness to them. I don't have a suitable deck for my Gold Microscaner now, but I'm hanging on to it just in case...

Top Bottom